Nds User iRadio New Zealand

Hi Folks,during
the past 6 months or so listening to the streaming service of Radio New Zealand National programme has developed an extremely annoying constant regular clicking/dropout distortion .No other stations seem to have this issue. To make matters worse our Tivoli radios are unable to cope with their RNZ Nationals pathetic FM signal from our of island location as well.During a recent conversation with another Naim owner (Unitiqute 1) he mentioned he had experienced the same (unresolvable) problem and as it was his preferred station had decided to sell it. His Unitiqute1 had had the latest firmware upgrade 4.7 as well whereas my NDS is on 4.6. We have fibre here on Waiheke ,he is on fibre in Mt Eden.On RNZ national app it comes up with MP3 24.0khz,64kbs, 100% buffer .I can stream the national programme with no probs on my Imac,what can be causing this ?,cheers Chris

If I ever have an issue with any station, I now try it on the VTuner web site, sometimes if it’s not playing properly there, the fault may be with the actual stream from the radio station.
I have tried playing on my SuperUniti and it’s playing OK at present. I’m in Sydney.
I’ve also tried listening to the Christchurch stream of Radio New Zealand National online and it’s playing perfectly on the V-Tuner web site.
If you’re able to do the same, to rule out Vtuner, it might be worth contacting Naim and tell them of the issue you’re experiencing.

This may be an issue that can be taken up by vTuner to see if there is a better stream available from the station. I wonder if @Stevesky can help with this?

I’ve googled and the only stream available seems to be the mp3 64kbps one, which is a very low data rate comparatively.
I’m streaming it now on my unitiqute with no issues. Midnight news just starting now.
Here’s the page I found https://www.rnz.co.nz/listen/audiohelp

Hi @Blythe

I’ve had this one on my radar for about 5 months now. Primarily, over the last year there has been a steady upgrade of the radio database to ensure we’re on the best quality streams (+ reliable ones!).

The ones in New Zealand are problematic as the MP3 streams are low quality and it seems the broadcaster has their fair share of problems with them. There are some better quality AAC streams, so I’m tempted to shift to them but for much older units, they will not be able to play them.

I’ll have a chat with VTuner on the subject and I’ll let you know what gets actioned. I think the best bet is trial the AAC streams and see what colour smoke comes out.

Best regards

Steve Harris
Software Director

2 Likes

Hi, I’ve been streaming this station for an hour now with no issues. Unitiqute 2 latest firmware.

@Mike_S is from New Zeeland. Don’t know if he uses iradio…

1 Like

Hi @Bigtrev

Your wish has been granted!

Radio New Zealand has been updated. The boys at VTuner have done the full network:

RNZ Classical - AAC 128kbit 48kHz/24bit
RNZ national - AAC 128kbit 48kbit/24bit
RBZ International - AAC 64kbit 48kbit/24bit. Best that’s available.

Let me know how you get on. The classical channel is a huge upgrade.

Best

Steve

4 Likes

Wow Steve ,you have totally sorted the glitch(has gone) and then gone two more and upgraded the sound quality- cant believe you have been able to do this so quickly as well ,fabulous effort- how could any other hifi Brand/ company compete with this stunning outcome ,cheers Chris

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity, where would these streams be published if not on the Radio NZ own website? You would assume they’d promote whatever was available rather than only the 64kbps mp3 stream. There’s nothing to indicate alternatives - and higher quality ones at that - even exist.

Hi @robert_h

In this case Bigtrev got lucky. Quite a few months back I had contacted that media group as had planned to sort out this area - they gave me the details. But yes, often info about these stream types are well hidden away and cannot be found via Google or scraping off websites.

Best

Steve

Hi,

Hope I’m not incorrectly hijacking this thread but I’ve had a similar issue with the NPR stream for 6+ months, in my case it doesn’t play at all.

I did email vTuner when it first occurred but never got a response. Are you able to have a look at this Steve?

Attached is a screenshot of what’s displayed in the Naim app, it looks like it’s connected but does say no track playing and there’s no sound.

Cheers,
Loks

PS: I’m based in Sydney, Australia and also on an NDS, all other stations work fine.

… you may want to add the @Stevesky in the body of your thread so it goes to his attention. I do not believe Naim reads through the treads unless a questions is brought to their attention.

I can’t find NPR in Australia. Is it located elsewhere?
If it’s the NPR listed in the USA, (NPR Program Stream United States Public/News Talk) it doesn’t play on the VTuner website either, so doesn’t appear to be a Naim only issue.
On the VTuner website, after some time, I hear a message saying “This station is currently not available, please try again later”.

Hi @loks

I’ve taken a look and have worked out the new url’s for the stream. It was a bit complicated as their icecast server has a typo in its stream config files.

VTuner have been informed so hopefully they can update their database early next week.

Best

Steve Harris
Sofrware Director

1 Like

Thank you all for your help and thanks @Stevesky for addressing this so quickly.

Cheers!

1 Like

I read that the RNZ Concert FM is being canned to.

Hi @loks

The NPR news stream is back working on vtuner

Best regards

Steve Harris
Software Director

@Stevesky

I just logged in to say the same, listening to it now :smiley:

Thank you for your help Steve!

Cheers,
Loks

Well blow me down -the Radio NZ service which Steve had Vtuner fix has just in the last day or two reverted to its old dreadfull ways ??