NDS vs ND5XS2

The key to loving vinyl is to get the tonearm setup correctly for the cartridge. I only have an Aria with my RP10/Aphelion and discovered when I got a cheap electronic tracking force gauge that the dial sets the force 0.2gm heavier. If the sound is bass heavy (poor mids/highs) aka dull the tracking weight is too high. Too light and the base is poor and highs unpleasant.

You have a good TT so make the most of it.

Phil

And hence
The combination of NDAC and 5XS2 will be excellent in terms of price / musical result

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I have (with 555DR) and it works a treat.

2 Likes

Chris is correct here. This is what I did and it saved me quite a bit for the same (or identical) performance, IMO.

2 Likes

Yes, I know what you mean, No-quarter. Many members here, and many on other forums would immediately purchase a Naim streamer-only, to accompany their legacy Naim units, and their non-Naim Dacs etc. It’s funny how almost every other manufacturer provides this except Naim. If it wasn’t a practical solution/offering, this wouldn’t be the case.

Having said that tho, Naim has always done a few rather odd things with their product offerings regarding connections, construction, marketing etc.; and being a thoroughly happy Naim customer and a staunch supporter of their products and ideals, I bow to their eclectic position on the stand-alone streamer issue.

1 Like

Well guys, the deal is done for an ND5XS2, I am picking it up on Saturday. Since my RP10 and phonostage was worth more than the streamer, I had a credit. He offered me a powerline, but I decided to go with a pair of Kef LS 50 Meta’s to play around with. To say I am excited is the understatement of the year.

13 Likes

Welcome to the ND5XS2 fan club!

1 Like

That’s outstanding! It’s going to pair nicely with those LS50s.

1 Like

The LS 50’s will be my front speakers for home theatre in the end. I have Peak Consult speakers as my main speakers. I do plan on breaking in the Kef’s and the ND5XS2 together in the main setup however. You never know, I may like them so much that they stay for a while.
The LS 50’s only go down to 80 Hz, but the Peak’s will do below 30 Hz, so I doubt the LS 50’s can outperform a speaker that cost 27 K when new.

1 Like

Likely not, but still a nice speaker. Funny, because I am thinking seriously of getting a pair to replace a pair of Harbeth P3ESRs in my office. I work with a lot of high(er)-end vendors and could get them at cost. I’ve auditioned them a few times and really like them. KEF makes wonderful speakers.

The nd5xs2 is a shoe box sized streamer. Just that naim stuck it in a full sized box, and denied everyone of feeding it with a hi cap. I.e. no internal power supply like a nac 62,72 etc.
Just imagine that, a nd5xs2, fed via a HC, all for £2,500. And what if it could take 2 HCs, or a SC?

Just imagine the debates on this forum!

1 Like

Is anyone using the ND5XS2 as an analog source into an AVR for TV/Movies with the Din to rca supplied interconnect? If so, can you also have it connected with the BNC out at the same time, in my case, to my Mscaler/TT2/Nagra integrated.Then just flip back and forth from TV (analog)to music (digital)in the App, and turn on either the Integrated, or the AVR.
I am just wondering if you leave multiple things connected, will it degrade the sound? Trying to figure out the best way to use this thing before it arrives.

Doesn’t look shoebox to me? :thinking:

Get rid of the power supply, and it’ll fit!
Then feed it with a HCDR. ( or two)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.