NDX 2 remote and front panel functionality

Sorry, how does that comment advance the discussion?

Just because it isn’t important to you doesn’t mean it isn’t to the folks that have said otherwise above and is, in my view, disrespectful

As a French member of this forum, please don’t attack the cheese gentlemen :rage: :wink:

It doesn’t, but neither does moaning seemingly for moaning’s sake. So what if you can’t access the upnp source from the buttons or the remote if you mislay your iPhone. You can’t drive your car if you lose the keys. It’s no different. Naim have made a perfectly reasonable decision and it’s a case of sucking it up. There is no point stamping your feet and making demands.

It’s software functionality though and could be added in a future release. It’s odd that Naim haven’t included it although there may be reasons for this.

1 Like

Well, it’s a bit different. Your car didn’t suddenly not have a key, the key may now be electronic, but they still have a micro key to pull out to open the car if the electronic one has a flat battery.

The issue with the remote is that a perfectly useful function was removed, when it’s a simple matter to actually enable the new remote to scroll through a uPnP server just like it does for on-line streaming services. I find the remote on my old Uniti2 much better then on the new NDX2, which is a pity really. You would expect a newer product to have better usability, or at the least not worse.

You could do it from the remote, but there aren’t the buttons to enable it from the front panel. Of course, the ND5XS2 doesn’t have a remote, or buttons come to that, so it could never work for that streamer. It was a conscious decision by Naim to not include this functionality, which is why it seems a bit pointless requesting it. I used to use the buttons on my 272 to select albums on occasion but having had an NDX2 for about 18 months I’ve simply got used to it.

Hopefully anyone buying a Naim streamer would investigate the functionality prior to purchase. If the ability to select upnp albums from the front panel of remote was a deal breaker, they would then be able to choose something else. That said, nearly all streamers seem to rely on an app for selection.

It didn’t stop you buying the NDX2 though, did it? It reminds me of the joke, ‘how many folk singers does it take to change a light bulb?’ Six, one to change the bulb and five to sing about how good the old one was.

I suppose it’s more of a parallel to why cars don’t come with CD players anymore… because it’s not worth it for the handful of people that would use it.

It’s a pity that the new streamers didn’t included a phono stage inside. It’s sad.

They come in handy sometimes though. Mine’s old enough to be able to play CDs although can rip them to the hard drive which saves leaving CDs in the car.

Just for lolz, I contacted Naim Customer Service to see if they could explain any technical reasons why the uPnP I put cannot be selected from the remote.

Two weeks on, and still waiting for even an acknowledgment of my question…

You should have had an acknowledgment reply and a ticket number very quickly. Have you checked your junk/spam mail?

Hi,
Yes, I usually check that folder every day or two when I’m waiting for a reply, especially so if it’s a new/infrequently used contact.

Nothing doing so far. I’ll resend the question in a day or so and see if I have any luck that time

Mine does. Look, Gyro SE.

You named it like that? Well done :laughing:

1 Like

Mine too.

1 Like

Because it’s built in, of course

I have a phono too

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.