NDX 2, SN3, which Focal Speakers?

@Naim.Marketing will be pleased to read that. Why such fixation ? :joy:

1 Like

I’m sure Clare is far too busy to get drawn into advising Mitch. I was simply asking why the speaker options seem to be limited to two. There are loads out there and as I said the important thing is finding something he likes and which match the Nait, to which Lindsay added, quite correctly, that the room match is critical. I have no view on the Kantas, having never heard them, it’s simply that it’s sensible to try a few and see what works.

1 Like

Dear Frenchrooster,

Why such a fixation? For me, performance must also equal looks. I suppose I am smitten with the looks of the Focal Kanta range and the specifications and now know (Thank you Clare) that NDX2 + SN3 + Kanta 2 make a beautiful combination. It looks like I will email my dealer whom I trust and sold me my current system years ago. Though I do not like annoying him with my crystal balling. As I thought I would use this forum as a sounding board first.

From what I have read on the feedback for this post, I think the XS 2 will go and be replaced by an SN3 and a Hicap. Though the last time I approached my dealer he recommended a 202 plus 200 DR. With this combo I lose the headphone output which my dear wife prefers me to use.

I think the SN3 plus Hicap will win the day.

Thank you everyone for your valued replies.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

Mitch, don’t get fixed on the Hicap. The SN3 has a very good DR power supply for its preamp. I’ve been using mine very happily for over a year without a Hicap and have no intention of getting one. It sounds great without it. The Hicap is a lot of money and it would be better spent on an NDX2.

3 Likes

I was trying to be a bit tongue in cheek, as you say in UK. I don’t think it’s a fixation, rather a choice. I mentioned Clare because she has an SN3/Focal Kanta as a second system.

1 Like

It’s actually Uniti Nova + Kanta 2…

3 Likes

It’s even better, as the OP has an XS, which is relatively on the level of the Nova, as an amp.
So matching XS with Kanta should work.

1 Like

Dear FR,

Would that be a Kanta 1 or 2 that you are commenting about, please?

I have been reading up on Star and Nova systems and up until now, I have ignored them as I thought an SN3 or separates was the way to go.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

The bit you’re missing here is you don’t live in the middle of nowhere in Australia, so the choice may be partly driven by what is available and based on what @Gigantor Naim dealer has access to. I don’t think anyone is fixating over Focal, but it is a valid option so why not consider it.

1 Like

I’d agree here, I actually sold the HiCap DR I had when I got my SN3 and that partly funded my NDX2.

1 Like

I’m sure that even in the middle of nowhere a Naim dealer has access to more than one make of speaker.

Horses for courses - sure the SN3 on it’s own is good but with the HiCap DR it’s even better. Mine certainly isn’t going anywhere soon.

3 Likes

I just searched. It’s Kanta 2.

I use my Nova + Kanta 2 in our home office - quite a small room. If I were using the speakers in a larger room/running at party volumes, i’d definitely consider separates.

Dear Mr. M,

At the moment this is true. Though in 12 months’ time we will most likely we will be moving to a more remote location. I did not wish to bother my Naim dealer until the money was in the bank with the remote move.

Kind regards,

Mitch.

Have you thought of keeping your xs2 adding an nd5 xs2 and going with something like a focal Electra 2027 be. I have the nd5 xs2 and am enjoying the simplicity of
Music listening that it provides through the Naim app and into a sn3. I have the sn3 as my speakers are quite hard to drive. My sons system is a unitilite into the Electra’s. The unitilite sounded great with my standmount focal micro utopia BEs but lacked grip as the volume went up. For a few years the unitilite was matched with quad floorstanders at around the grand mark. This was ok but swapping in the Electra 2027 BEs was shockingly good. The berilium tweeters and mid range drivers seem to me at any rate to be a good match for Naim amps. The unitilite and Electra’s sounded great in a small welldampef room in the uk and are now in a 117sqm open plan apartment in Amsterdam where the system sounds even better. We did have a driver fail on the Electra’s but focal keep a good supply of spares and our local dealer did the replacent for little cost compared to the cost of an equivelent speaker from focals current line. An older but well proven speaker would leave more funds and choices for naim source and amplification.

1 Like

This may have been mentioned but have you thought about cheaper Focals? I’ve used the Aria with great results with my Naim kit and the 936’s IMO are awesome for the money!

2 Likes

Not forgetting the awesome K2 versions of the Aria range, which sound even better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My local dealer sold me my Kanta 1, which he demonstrated with a Supernait & NDX2. I felt it was quite good and after a demo with my electronics, i went for it. Since then i upgraded to what i like to call ‘peak passive olive’ (52/SC/250). It sounds to my ears a very good combination. I deliberately avoided the Kanta 2’s as i was concerned by two things, a) i felt my room might be too small for them - i was warned by my dealer on this as he felt they need space to work properly and dont work as well as they could in a small room. b) I like to have generous levels of power available from the amps, at the time i didn’t think my electronics were up to them (i had a 72/hi/250 at the time). They clearly are now c) i felt money was better spent elsewhere in the system.

The Kanta stands are iMHO expensive for what they are. I use Dali stands in matt black which we prefer the aesthetics of.

2 Likes

I have been in touch with my dealer and before we move bush he has suggested that I listen to a 202/200DR/Napsc/Hicap system with the Kanta 1 and Kanta 2 speakers hooked up.

I can not see this happening before Christmas and will try to make the time next year. With respect to the other line of Focal speakers, I do not find them especially pleasing to the eye and the decor of the music room. The comment that the K2 speakers might be too big for the room is a good comment that I will pay careful attention to.

Thank you for your comments. All are warmly received.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

2 Likes