NDX 2, SN3, which Focal Speakers?

the Kanta 2 are the equivalent of over 8000 pounds in Australia
At the other end of the budget , I have been demoing Neat SX1’s this week- and am impressed

1 Like

This morning I had an opportunity whilst Shelley was out shopping for two hours to listen to the Fleetwood Mac album called Fleetwood Mac. The bass was great, the acoustic and electric guitars filled the atmosphere plus the bass fills and riffs and kick drum filled the bottom end. The soundstage was brilliant for my XS system.

I do not have the opportunity to sit back and bask in the pleasure of the musical reproduction of this system very often and my last effort was a poor experience with an LP which I will have to listen to again to confirm that it may have been a bad recording or I was not in the zone that evening.

I walked away from my short session smiling and enjoying everything the XS could give. My independent adjudicator did not move a muscle as he also appeared to enjoy the music. Other tastes and my 10-year-old pug has been known to walk out. I now wonder if I am overcooking the situation and to be happy with what I have instead of chasing the ever-elusive goose who lays the golden egg, I am ever wanting more, bigger, better amplifiers. Better specifications, being a metrologist in a previous position has always had me chasing my tail for finer and finer uncertainties.

The feeling of being immersed in music was wonderful and headphones for myself are a poor second choice.

This evening I will kick back to a couple of LPs with headphones regrettably and see how I feel. Maybe all I have to do is add an ND 5 XS 2 and be happy with what I have. The bottom end on this CD was very satisfying.

I think I will have to wait until Shelley goes out again to play AC/DC’s Back in Black album. I am not a heavy rocker and indulge in all spheres of music. I am also waiting to play the new release of the original Jesus Christ Superstar album from the '70s. I also have “Hair” on vinyl as well.

Volume dial set to 8:30, it can approach 9:00 o’clock, though this does not happen very often.

Thank you, everyone, for all your help, it has not gone wasted. My 30-year-old Celestions SL6Si are still hanging in there, though a part of me wants to pass them on for something later, better and higher specified. If that is possible. I do think I perceived the colouration of the aluminum tweeters when the electrical guitars began to really swing. Was there a breakdown of the tweeter? It just did not sound right, like there was no more room to move in the high frequencies. My two bob, though I doubt if my ears are young enough to hear this sort of thing.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

I’ve certainly ran Neat Motive SX2s in the past to great effect from a NDX 2 & SN3. On the used markets the SX range can be had at very good bargain prices and easily sound just as good as many other ‘bigger’ speakers costing considerably a lot more.

2 Likes

I do not know if I should run a new topic for an apology for keeping on beating my Celestions Sl6Si’s to death.

I sat down this morning and listened to two albums. One from the '70s from an Australian band “Stars” and the latest Voyage album release from ABBA.

It was magical and I am a happy chappy. I think I have finally stopped ruminating over a Naim amplifier and speaker upgrade.

I will stay with what I have as I fell in love with my system all over again this morning.

CD5 XS, Nait XS 2, and a Flatcap XS. If there is to be another addition it might be an ND5 XS 2.

Thank you everyone for putting up with my posts over the years. I think everyone is over it and so am I.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.