NDX (original) with XPS-DR vs ND5 XS2

@trickydickie
Spot on!! I have exactly the same components as you, so a new-tech, streamer-only, is what we need.
And I’ve read so many quite annoyed NDX owmers, who purchased just before the NDX2 was released. Naim could win all these customers back, and anyone with the excellent nDac or 272, could add streaming to it.
Cheers. I hope they’re reading this!
Hey, I gotta go answer the phone … it might be them …

1 Like

I don’t understand. Why are are they obsolete?
Why is my CD5i from 2006 obsolete? or Sharp getto blaster from the eighties obsolete? Can you please explain?

1 Like

Please read @trickydickie 's post above. #29.
That was all that I meant, td just said it better.
I apologize for using the word ‘obsolete’.

1 Like

One thing i will say - most of it is in the PSU - in my experience.

There are some aspects in the new streamers that are the same as the original NDAC, such as the low pass reconstruction IIR filter using Analog Devices SHARC assembler… but some of the biggest advances with the new streamers has been better control and management of interference and digital noise which had ultimately had held back the performance of the NDS… and prompted the development of the ND555 streamer that subjectively was to sound at least as good as the CD555, which Naim felt the NDS didn’t achieve apparently.
The NP800 streaming front end module boards along with use of LVDS helped with some of this whilst improving network performance and interface limitations of the first generation streamers.
It’s telling to see the NP800 streaming modules are common across the current streamers, albeit the shielding and decoupling of them improves through the range.

2 Likes

please check the market, hi-end streamers aren’t cheap.

Look at the prices of Auralic G1, Moon Simaudio, and DCS network bridge

The auralic doesn’t even offer Chromecast, and only works with an Apple device. Unless you switch it to pure UPNP mode and use Bubble Upnp. Not something I want to pay 1900 GBP for.

I think you will find the ND5XS2 is fairly priced, and besides, the audio board switches off when the digital output is enabled

The only regret you may have is why you invested so heavily in the streaming solution you are using, as I find the Nd5XS2 so much better in all aspects.

2 Likes

For instance they can’t have Qobuz. And the new platform is better as streaming platform, because an Nd5xs2 is at the level of the Ndx now.
However obsolete is perhaps not appropriate ( just perhaps for Qobuz ).

2 Likes

This is where I originally came from in thinking as well; it’s what made me start looking into the new streamers. Initially attempting to ‘get’ Qobuz on the NDX was a real drag for me. I really enjoy Tidal, but feel after all of the sifting through comparisons, I get the sneaky suspicion I would enjoy the SQ better with the Qobuz offerings. As I read it, there’s, of course, trade-offs, but lesser of two evils and all…

I have a NDX 2 and do not use Qobuz - it’s too limited. :thinking:

3 Likes

I know the streamer market and I agree that the ND5XS2 is well priced. I do not regret having bought the JS-2, it’s very well built and aesthetically appealing.

I am not really after ultimate sound quality, my system already sounds better than I actually need. But I think that I will demo a ND5XS2, I am curious to see how it works in my system as compared to the DigiOne Signature. That should be a lot of fun, just need to find a free weekend and a dealer with a device that I can borrow!

Me neither

You can power an Etheregen switch and Nas, router, with the JS2.
Nd5xs2/ Dac/ Etheregen/ Js2 would be great, for me.

@frenchrooster: True but I need neither a switch nor a NAS and the JS-2 for the time being is happy to power the DigiOne Signature and the LPS-1.2. I am ready to improve my system if something significantly better is availabile and does not require compromises in software quality. I do not want to have to use the Naim app to control my system but I am otherwise fine with trying something new!

So FR, can you get Qobuz on your Melco, but you prefer a different streaming service?

Dave

Again things aren’t so simple

Allo themselves do not state that their shanti power supply will last 10 years.

Not even 8 years.

whatever the power supply - the ethernet and USB on my allo digione signature with RPI 3 are shared. - this is not going to lead to the very best sound quality, that I heard with Naim streamers into my Chord Dave

These RPI based solutions also do not have the LVDS method of moving digital signals, like the NP800 based solution

you get what you pay for, but in this case I am still disappointed. maybe if I upgrade to an RPI4 the shared USB and ethernet will not be an issue, but still, these kind of solutions can’t compete with audio companies like Naim with decades of digital audio experience.

I was saying that because I understood that you were considering the Nd5xs2.
So if not using anymore the Allo , the Js2 could still be employed.
But you say that you don’t want to use the Naim app, so now I am confused.

@Analogmusic: you can shut down the USB bus ( and, thus, also wired Ethernet) on the RPi3 that hosts your DigiOne Signature. This is my standard setup. On my system, switching the USB bus on/off doesn’t make a difference in terms of sound quality. But it reduces the power consumption from about 0.5A to about 0.23A.

I was just saying that, after @Analogmusic report, I want to demo a ND5XS2 and compare it to my current transport. I would’n want to use the Naim app (even with a Naim streamer) because, to the best of my knowledge, it still does not support opening an album’s booklet in the app. This is a feature that I use every day and that I wouldn’t want to miss. Thus, if I had to replace my DigiOne Signature with an ND5XS2, I would still use the BubbleUPnP app as a control point, not the Naim app.

1 Like

I can open booklets with Naim app

3 Likes

That’s cool, are these locally stored albums or is it a fetch from the Rovi database? Thanks, nbpf