NDX (original) with XPS-DR vs ND5 XS2

Both. Downloads and rips. But some albums don’t appear, a minority.

@frenchrooster: That’s good news, thanks!

1 Like

Note that the booklets that you can get via the Naim app are those put together by Rovi. They are not the booklets that you’d get with the CD.

1 Like

You have thanks me too early apparently, if we refer to last HH post. For me it’s not a problem to have Rovi booklets.

I was waiting for the release of the ND5 XS2 before upgrading from a Bluesound streamer. I auditioned the ND5 XS2 and was pretty pleased with how it sounded at my local dealers. Said dealer then suggested I listen to something else, and plugged in a display model NDX. Side by side, the NDX was a more refined musical experience to my ears, and being offered it for the same price as the ND5 XS2, I bought the NDX. My requirement was for sound quality rather than the upgraded streaming capabilities of the ND5 XS2, and I’m generally pretty happy with the decision a year in.

NAIT XS2, NDX, Spendor A7s, content streamed from a Synology NAS

5 Likes

@anon4489532: Thanks for the clarification! Best, nbpf

It’s a link to the Rovi database from which there are further links to Wikipedia, Amazon etc.
The link is normally available from either locally stored or Qobuz albums, but it’s only available via the Naim app on iOS, not Android.

@ChrisSU: too bad but … thank for the clarification! Best, nbpf

Why are you so disappointed?

Presumably because he’s an Android user? I can only assume there must be a technical or licensing reason why the Android app can’t access Rovi, unless it’s just slipped off the radar. Perhaps @Stevesky would be able to confirm?

Because I am not interested in accessing booklets via Rovi, I simply want to be able to open those booklets that I have bought together with my music files. These are made available by MinimServer and can be opened in the BubbleUPnP app. The fact that the Naim app is still unable to display booklets that are made available by the UPnP server is a bit disappointing.

1 Like

Or perhaps he wants to have the original booklets, with the original review?

yes but for me I am not willing to give up using on ethernet.

It seems I have to replace the RPI3 with an RPi4 eventually.

Still quite disappointed in the life of the Allo Shanti LPSU, only 4 years spending on load and temperature … which is quite disappointing.

I do not mind an expected life limited to 4 years but what I find disappointing in the Shanti is the design and the captive cables.

Captive cables are a no-go for me and I very much prefer the industrial design and the build quality of the JS-2 and of the LPS-1.2.

Why do you want to replace the RPi3 with a RPi4? This is not going to improve the sound quality of the DigiOne Signature, I think.

Also, since you have discovered that the ND5XS2 is a much better transport than the DigiOne Signature, why do you bother about the latter? Are you using both the ND5XS2 and the DigiOne Signature?

Best, nbpf

No that ND5XS2 is a friends unit which I borrowed

The allo I will sell soon

For now I’m just using my trusty google chrome cast audio

Ha! I’m currently running the cca into my chord mojo. Works brilliant. Rock solid connection, performance.

I understand, thanks! I also have a Chromecast Audio connected to the nDAC. However, it doesn’t sound as good as the DigiOne Signature in my system.

Since you have a Chord DAC, you could also consider the new Chord 2go+2yu streamer. I understand that it has more or less the same functionalities of the ND5XS2 but without an onboard DAC. It also has a much smaller size. I haven’t found any direct comparison of the 2go+2yu to other streamers, though.

the Naim streaming platform is very robust and worked fine during my testing.

much better than the auralic one.

I can’t comment on the chord product, but I do not want a battery operated streamer.

In this case, the ND5XS2 seems to be the way to go! It has the disadvantage of having a DAC onboard that you do not need and a software system that is perhaps a bit immature. But if you can live with these two limitations, it’s a very good proposition, I believe. No matter what you do, let us know how it goes on!

By the way, why are you looking for a streamer in the first place?

You have a Dave, and thus you could also connect your RPi3 (or any other device running a UPnP server) to the Dave’s USB input, couldn’t you?

I am not convinced about the musicality of USB inputs on any DAC. USB was not created for hi-res audio, but SPDIF was created for music transmission and sounds better to my ears.

Naim doesn’t include them on any of their current digital sources…

and DCS on their network bridge streamer is without USB output also.

Aurender also state

“Again, every DAC is different, but in most cases - with W20 and N10, we would expect the AES/EBU, Coax, BNC sound superior to the USB output. The reason for this is that W20 and N10 feature a best-in-class “OCXO” clock which results in ultra low jitter. It is one of the most precise clocks available for audio. So, if you have a W20 or N10, you really ought to try using something BESIDES USB! You may be in for a major treat…”