NDX problem with Linksys mesh

I have a Linksys Velop Mesh (2 units) network and it works just fine between my ND5-XS and Mac Mini server for Roon and a QNAp NAS with UPNP. The first Velop unit is connected to my router on first floor. The second is in my listening room on the second floor. Attached to that is a Gigabit switch. From that switch I connect the Naim ND5-XS and a Squeezebox Touch (as a Roon endpoint), as well as – via Cat6 running thru the attic – a second Gigabit switch in my home office. My Mac Mini running Roon Core and a QNAP NAS are in the office, connected to the second Gigabit switch.

It all works just fine.

Thanks. You mentioned connecting the first Velop to a router. Does it mean that you have a router at the upfront, while using Velop only at bridge mode.

Not sure whether this is the critical difference, otherwise my set up is quiet similar to yours, apart from brand of the nas, I am using Synology

I have a ISP provided router. I plugged the first Velop into the ethernet connection on it. The second is upstairs, connected wirelessly to the first.

I just used the iPhone app to automagically set everything up. It does the right thing. All I did was double-check that it had reasonable Wifi security configured (it did that). It was easy peasy to setup. I didn’t have to do anything but follow the wizard steps on the iPhone app. I added in my switches after it was all setup and working.

I also got these to replace an old Airport Extreme and Time Capsule. I still use the Time Capsule, but just for network Time Machine backups. All the networking on it is disabled and I have it plugged into the office switch.

To be clear, the Linksys Velop Mesh does not include a router. The units are all the same and they are multi-band mesh wireless access points you integrate with your existing router, to create a whole-home wireless local area network. Your existing router provides the WAN connection to the outside.

Out of curiosity, does your router still still act as DHCP server, and are any spare Ethernet ports on it usable as LAN ports in the same way that the Velop ports are?

Even the dealer has given up and has agreed to replace me with another brand. Stock will arrive in 2 days.
Looking forward to this.

I hope you get your problem resolved. I can confirm that the Velop Mesh nodes work well in such a setup. All they do is extend the network with wireless access points. I suspect you have a router or other misconfiguration problem that might still be there when you add the replacements.

When I used an Airport Extreme, I disabled NAT & DHCP on my ISP router and used the Airport Extreme as a router and firewall instead. When I replaced it with the Linksys Velop nodes, those functions (NAT & DHCP) had to be re-enabled on the ISP router, as the Velop nodes provide no such routing capabilities.

Continuing the discussion from NDX problem with Linksys mesh:

Problem solved. I have just replaced Velop with Orbi. Exactly the same settings and placement. Simple and straight forward set up. Ndx is now calling songs smoothly from Synology.

My bitter experience is good to share with naim users planning to upgrade their Wi-Fi system. Be careful with Velop.

I know plenty of people using Linksys Velop with no issues on their network. This might have just been operator error, or defective units. But I am glad you have a resolution. That’s what’s important, but I would be careful making any general claim that Velop is problematic. It isn’t, in my experience and that of others I know.

I have a NDX2 on the way for audition. I suspect it will integrate with my Velop network just fine, since everything else works without issue (LAN, NAS, ND5-XS, etc).

Good news, you can enjoy your streamer now. One has to be careful Wifi, especially in my opinion with consumer so called ‘mesh’ systems where many are closed proprietary systems.

JosquinDesPrez, I noted you have a router upfront to serve the Velops. This may be the area of difference.
I am using the first Velop node as router, the rest are satellites, which I believe should be the why of set up the Velop is designed to replace your existing router at all.

Anyway it’s good to you guys for useful advice. Thanks. Nightmare over.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.