NDX2/555dr vs ND555/555dr

Adding a 555 PS to an NDX2 is a huge difference.

NDX2 to an ND555 is good but no where near the NDX PS upgrade

Can’t do second hand but £8k for the 555 PSU and NDX2 beats £20k for ND555 with 555 PSU?

1 Like

You’ll be very happy with the upgrade…

The wired connection will make a big difference thou. Understand if you can’t but at this level… it’s nearly essential…

I was the same with second hand but I’ve had NAIM on and off for so long now and it just never seems to go wrong.

1 Like

The difference in sound from an NDX2 to an ND555 is dramatic. They sound totally different.

1 Like

Bare NDX2 to and ND?

Agree 100%
David

I think the CD555 PS does most of the work in this set up personally…

But to be honest, I’ve been clay pigeon shooting for years so my ears probably aren’t my best sense :joy:

Something good to try with your wife(!) would be planning some nice holidays you’ll be able to afford when you start buying ex-demo kit…

3 Likes

Probably no option soon if you want green light kit. Ex demo items are selling out fast, due to the big discounts.

To be honest we’ve bought some used kit in fabulous condition. Our 11 year old nDAC was absolutely mint (but we serviced it), and our 6 month old SuperCap from Signals - well, you would never have believed it had been out of the box.

Speaker cables were also used due to insane new prices, but again were like new on arrival.

2 Likes

My best buy was my ex demo 552 unmarked with the full warranty.

1 Like

I do appreciate what you are saying about the quality of second hand gear. In fact, whoever ends up with my NDX2/SN3 if I upgrade, will get products that are like new despite being 4 or 5 years old.

I carefully removed them from their boxes, placed them on the rack and wired them up. Apart from gentle wiping away of dust and a soft brush around the back once a year, they haven’t been touched.

The rack is in a cupboard in another room so I don’t even touch the volume or balance controls as I just use the remote. We have no pets and so they are almost ‘untouched’.

The boxes were carefully placed in the loft. When it comes to parting with them, they will actually seem like brand new!

I am confident that many other people’s gear is looked after equally as well but there is that element of risk. My ‘affliction’ will never be cured as I am now in my sixties - it probably costs me a fortune!

1 Like

I guess any upgrades will be limited by what you can find new then.

You’d be able to get an ND555 of course, that’s current.

Otherwise 300 series it is!

500 series - no chance! That level of performance would be wasted on me and thankfully I could not /would not spend that much on my HiFi hobby. I am really hoping to limit it to NSS333/NAC332/NAP 250 but there will be temptation towards NSS333/NAC332/NAP350. This will mean a net spend of either £15,000 or £21,000. I really do not want to be able to notice enough difference between 250 and 350 but if I do then unfortunately I would always be thinking ‘should have got the 350s’.

If this is the case then I suspect I will go NSS333/SN3 and consider the NAC332/NAP350s sometime next year.

1 Like

Honestly, the 555ps on your NDX2 will blow you away… absolutely amazing upgrade…

I went from TP XPS to Naim XPS… (wasn’t impressed with either, although the Naim one was obviously better than the TP)
Then finally got the 555 and it was stunning…

3 Likes

It’s the same if you put the 555PSDR on an nDAC with a good source.

Step change in performance.

2 Likes

I also put a 555 on my NDX2 and the performance is excellent, I am delighted with it

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.