NDX2 after 3 weeks of ownership

It’s akin to when I had a CDX2 (naked) with a 282/200, was just great but adding a XPS made it darker and more organic.

3 Likes

Yes. I thought I was far enough up the tree with a couple of 300dr. A 1,000-post thread later and I am on the hook for a flippin’ greenhouse :flushed: (apologies to the OP for thread drift :blush:)

Getting back on topic, I would see how the ndx2 gets on for a few weeks if you are planning long term there’s no need to worry about adding a ps just yet. I had a non dr xps on my cds2 when I first got it (at same time as 52/250/sc non dr) and that was fab

2 Likes

My thoughts too. The point at which I felt my system had finally got there with no real weakness and utterly enjoyable, was when I swapped my 82 for a 52. The 52 was a bit of revelation for me. My system then was a bare NDX/52/250. (My turntable had yet to be taken out of long term (c. 12yrs) storage at that point.)

1 Like

I think will you get happier with the sound of the NDX2 every day. I have a Qobuz subscription and with many albums now available in hi-res the sound of the NDX2 was in so many cases better than of my CDX2 that I sold the CDX2. The few albums that I owned that were not available on Qobuz I put on a large USB.

How do you find the Qobuz sound and did you get a chance to compare it with Tidal?

I am very happy with the Qobuz sound. I listened to Tidal before I bought the NDX2, so I can’t really compare. But I suggests you do a free trial to compare. Most reviews say Qobuz sounds better. See the sound quality part of this article [Qobuz vs Tidal — Which Is Better? 2021 - Rigorous Themes
Although I am not an audiophile, it does seem that many audio enthusiasts agree that Qobuz wins the audio quality war (although TIDAL has a better selection of tracks).For example, Reddit user wolfkingofla claims on this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/qobuz/comments/if28rh/qobuz_vs_tidal/ that “Qobuz beats TIDAL on sound quality any day of the week…Qobuz wins hands down. There just seems to be a bit more dynamics in Qobuz.”
See also this thread in the Naim community Qobuz vs Tidal WhatHifi - #21 by thenaimsdave

2 Likes

Utterly compelling thread; this covers most topics in my own upgrade path from a long time ago, through second-hand in recent years and then into lockdown purchases last year, when I did the NDX2/555PS trade: ignoring the different medium and the sound quality, what it has really done is opened up access to much more music, in a very cost effective way (setting aside the hardware cost, of course).
But my point is around power supplies: one of the best tips I was given was ‘get a HiCap’, now more than 25 years ago. I would explore shifting from FlatCaps to HiCaps - or even Supercaps if you can - before you do anything else. I have bought two second-hand SuperCaps in the last 9 months, one with a 52 and replacing an HC on an 82 in a second system. I have just used my 3rd HC to replace an FC on a CD3.5 and this, too, was a great step-up. I sort of did not want to believe the benefits of going the power supply route BUT IT WORKS. And patience in the second-hand market really pays off. And it is a path, not big-bang, unless you have true depth of pocket…two spare HCs will be used to test going active. Might need to start a separate thread on that, and one on going back to a 102/HC whilst 52/SC get serviced

3 Likes

That will be awesome! 300DR is superb with the 282/HICAP.

The NDX 2 is a fine source, only heard it standalone but I think a dedicated PSU will be a huge boost for it when the time comes.

Oops, sorry, didn’t notice thread start date!

Where are you at now?

Demoed a 300DR with my NAC 282 and it was probably the biggest system improvment I’ve personally heard but sticking with active SBLs with olive 250s for now. It’s a little frustrating how hard it’s becoming to home demo higher end components.

Isn’t it great that you can buy a fantastic streamer and then take it to a completely different level with admittedly expensive PSUs? :+1:

5 Likes

Thanks everyone for this thread that is helping me plan a Naim streaming system. I think the key rule for me is to allocate cash at the front end; to make sure you’re amplifying a really good source. Especially when starting from scratch, and attempting to get best SQ/£ ratio :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nice write up, thanks. I suspect the hicap will bring back the love for Diana Krall et al. I run the 82 with a sc and a nap 250 now but have run it on the fc and nap 90, one hicap, and 2 hicaps. Each step gave more ‘middle’ as well as clarity.
Interesting on the burn in and do we only notice a settling in as negative after the first impact? I am running in a new 552 on a 250 at the mo and wondered the same, but after noting Beth Orton sounding a little harsh I have repeatedly listened to the same tracks each day. Beth has definitely varied her performance from day to day. I can only surmise, but I wonder if the electronic components individually have a settling or stabilising process that has to be completed on first use. I am trying to be patient while the 552 settles in the study before moving it in to the main system though as it’s easier for me to vary things and test tracks in there.

Very similar experience and setup Josquin. I run a Clearaudio Innovation Compact/Universal/Charisma. In a long hiatus with vinyl on vinyl off, I sold my Superline but now run a LuxmanEQ500 valve phono stage. I much preferred the sound here to the NDX2 (which was lovely but lacked something). I was lucy to acquire an XPSDR a few months ago and it has literally transformed the NDX2 - gravitas and cohesiveness more than anything. I like the match of NDX2/XPSDR so much that I have sold my Chord Hugo TT2 DAC and run the streamed music using the internal Naim directly into the amp. The XPSDR would be an essential for me now.

6 Likes

Yep, the 555PS is probably one of the best upgrades out there ime. It puts the 272 in another league and the SQ is rewarding enough to not compel me to go back to separates.

3 Likes

My thought too
I love the combo of NDX2/SN3 that I have - music sound wonderful and we are very happy with it
Could it be improved - sure I guess it could, would I spend $15000 on a 555 - no I wouldn’t - Sure i can afford it - but why would I when I really enjoy what I have

Each to their own- but my view is stop chasing more and more

4 Likes

You will also require a 555DR so add another >£7500

I also have a NDX2 (second hand) and an ex-demo SN3, and I am loving the improvement over my previous Superuniti (which got me hooked on Naim in the first place).

I’ve only had the NDX 2 since Dec 17th, but it sounds perfectly decent to me and Qobuz is great on it, but if funds permit during the course of next year, I think I will hunt down a pre-loved XPS DR.

7 Likes

@flame_rose you’re building up a very nice system. Noticed you consider the Sonus Faber Olympica Nova 3. I have those ones as well and can only confirm,to you they are a wonderful match. You might want to look into the SF Electa Amator floorstanders as well as they are similar priced but with a slightly other « colour on sound »
Enjoy your journey
Iver

Thank you very much. For speakers in particular am insisting on listening to them in a showroom so the speaker upgrade will take its time as demo speakers don’t show up as frequently as they used to before COVID. If the Electa Amator comes by will surely listen to it. Being a 2 way design I am a bit skeptical of its weight and impact in terms of bass and slam.

On another note I was offered a lightly used pair of Amati Futura in that beautiful ash grey at a very low price. Saw them in person at the dealer’s and boy are they gorgeous! Unfortunately too long depth wise to fit in my current space.

7 Likes

@flame_rose
wow; Amati’s are gorgeous and I know someday I wil end up with them
keep us posted on your decisions and auditions. Very interested in the final choices you’ll make

Iver

5 Likes

Long time SF owner and fan here. :blush:
I’ve listened extensively to both the Olympica Nova 3 and the new Maxima Amator. For me there is no question between the two. That didn’t take more than 3 minutes, the Maxima Amator hands down. Unless the room is ballroom size. For me, the MA has a more refined and better balanced presentation. It’s more transparent, holographic and quicker than the N3. With a stunning and beautifully integrated bass.

Back to back, the N3 sounds like… well… more speakers working really. Bigger sounding but they don’t disappear like the MA. Very good too obviously but they don’t have the homogenous and natural presentation of the Maxima Amator.

Another big plus of the MA for me is that they are smaller and more restrained in their appearance vs. the posh ‘Ferrari/Lamborghini’ styling of the Olympica.

Both require considerably more amp than a NAP150 though.

1 Like