NDX2 disappointment

Nice looking place rob. I don’t know what’s going on behind the camera but judging by the photo I can’t help be imagine how lively the system must sound with so many hard surfaces and reflections. Nothing on the walls or floor, is everything flat surfaces?

Best

Popeye

Probably just popped your ears open by accident while yawning some time. :wink:

Otherwise i’d say it’s pretty insane if we should have to wait that long before a 5-6K costing streamer starts sounding good.

5 Likes

Late in the evening when paying not loud the sound is extra superb. Yes there are many reflexion :frowning:

But my couch is quit big and have long curtains :slight_smile: but yes it could be better. maybe in the future. Now it is child proof and first kid is out (21) next (19) in a view years :slight_smile:

Room size for listening is 5,5 x 8,5 meter

Interesting that the NDX2 armed with a 555 outperformed the NDS. I had assumed that’s not the case but you are not the first person to tell me this…
Gary

On Qobuz perhaps, but not on local files. But ravenswood will tell us.

I was so disappointed I bailed out of the NDX2 altogether. Have posted why elsewhere, but it has to do my assessment on the quality of the DAC (low) and the worthlessness of the display (for me).
I think the point is, the NDX2 is not “bad,” but it’s not necessarily optimal for all systems. The other Naim gear integrated a lot better than the NDX2 did in my system. Live and learn.

1 Like

Try ND5XS2 (has the same streaming board as NDX2), as a transport and simply add your own external DAC … perfect and no screen to worry about … which I too agree isn’t all it’s cracked up to be and not necessary when using the Naim App :grinning:

4 Likes

Interesting… that was not my experience, and I have possessed an NDS and currently own an NDX2 and a 552 but I guess speakers and room play a big part as well… and certainly not what Naim’s designers would expect.
The DAC part of the NDS is almost identical to the ND555 and is both electronically and mechanically quite a bit more enhanced and performant over the NDX2. To be honest if I was relying on the NDX2 analogue signal output, I would not have bought it.
Of course what an individuals’ preference is can have little bearing on actual technical performance or what the designers intended… it just shows the wide gamut of taste and preference and presumably how other factors come into play… and therefore underlines the importance of extended hone demo… rather than simply looking at price tags, white papers and specs.

2 Likes

Well, I should start by wishing you all a happy New Year and thanking you all for the positive and helpful suggestions.

I have good news! Bought three Deco 9 WiFi Mesh devices and, with consummate ease, got stable and fast WiFi throughout my house. App finds the NDX2 and I can switch readily between sources. Ethernet to Melco, Airplay to phone and easily access Internet radio.

Just to answer the criticisms above I store music on my iPhone. I listen when driving, gardening and at the gym. I do want to finish of an album, podcast or book when I come in so do use Airplay / Chromecast. I know it will not be of the highest quality but it is convenient.

The best quality I can achieve is through the Melco I believe.

Nobody has answered my question about track listings when playing radio, ie BBC R3 HD and BBC R4 HD. Is it a setting?

And for completeness 4G aerial is professionally mounted high up pointing to mast.

WiFi still in low single figure Mbps but EE say their kit is failing and I have a sneaky suspiucian that they dont like my use of an unklimited data phone sim card in my 4g router - but that is another thread altogether.

Thanks all.

Good… use effective home network products, and it all clicks into place… enjoy

2 Likes

I just installed a Deco 9 plus WiFi mesh system at my secondary house which is tough because it has very thick stone walls. Though it required a bit of fiddling with the units positions, it now works nicely where repeaters didn’t. The soft works without problem.

3 Likes

TP-Link make nice affordable MESH devices.

Re radio question. I believe that R3 and R 4 do not “broadcast” that information on their Internet streams. I am sure this has been mentioned before so a search of the forum may give you better information.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.