NDX2 + Nait 1

Yes you are right. Thanks for the advice. I feel for the first time this forum may have saved me some money.

1 Like

A Nait 3 is cheapest used Nait at around Ā£350 to Ā£400. There is a serviced one on the famous auction site at the moment. I bought one for my son for the previous Christmas for his games/ music room. It is rather good.

Could be a good stop gap.

2 Likes

Hi Mark, I borrowed a friends Hypex power amp to try on my 252 when I was using a SN2 as a power amp whilst waiting for my 250. I think running the Hypex off the NDX2 until you get the SN3 is a perfectly good option and wonā€™t cost you anything. Also, I found the Hypex to give more drive to my speakers, but the SN2 as a power amp had a more musical and complete presentation, so matching the NDX2 with a SN3 would be ideal.

I believe Markā€™s in Australia, which might be a problem. There are heaps of Naits on eBay, itā€™s much easier in the UK.

1 Like

I second what @Dan_M says above. A Nait 3 can be found quite cheaply and is lovely. My bet is you wonā€™t want to sell it afterwards either ā€¦.

1 Like

Ahhā€¦ just saw what HH postedā€¦ maybe not so easy then

1 Like

I would imagine you are right @anon4489532. Was a nice try though :slightly_smiling_face:

The DIN sockets on the Nait 1 and Nait 2 are flush with the rear panel and do not have the locking collar. The lavender 5 pin DIN cable will work fine though. It wonā€™t lock in place but not everyone uses the locking collars anyway.
Not sure what the market is like in Australia but as others have said, used Nait 1 and 2 go for silly money here in the UK. I sold mine many years ago for more than itā€™s original price. Now they command even higher prices. The trade off is that if the market is similar in Oz, you might not make a loss if you subsequently sell it.

Iā€™d go for a used 5Si, at least then youā€™d have some sort of idea as to what to expect from a SN3. It wonā€™t be quirky, need a service and has remote control. Also one could move it on without losing too much in the processā€¦

Why spend anything when you can spend nothing? Itā€™s merely a distraction from the objective. The NDX2 and the Hypex is more than adequate as an interim solutions.

1 Like

I think @anon4489532 is right, I am focussing (needlessly) on my interim amp having to be a Naim amp. I was thinking that I could use the amp in a second system but Iā€™d really rather a Muso for the second system anyway, regardless, that should come later.

I think Iā€™ll see how I get on with the Hypex power amp and if for some reason it sounds crap Iā€™ll re-assess. It is an incredibly neutral amp so it shouldnā€™t really add anything unfavourable to the NDX2 variable output. we shall see.

Iā€™ve had no system for the last 2 months so anything will be better than that!

1 Like

Good decision! Just be sure to enable variable volume and turn it low before you turn on the power amp. After all that effort it would be a shame if your speakers exploded.

1 Like

Always worth trying kit from other manufacturers kit especially if free.
You never know you might like it better.

If you find a serviced Nait then Iā€™d encourage you to give it a go. It will sound thinner than a SN3 but not too bad with a line level source and I know which one will better communicate the music to my ears. The Nait is still pretty neutral by modern standards so easy enough to partner. No idea how it will get on with your speakers and Jamesā€™ downsides are worth factoring as well of course.

1 Like

Cheers for the advice guys, it is good to get the collective opinions. I think I would still like to get a nait one day if only for collection purposes but not now. I think the faster I can get a supernait the better.

Now just to decide on a SN2 or SN3.

Obviously I can get to the cost of a SN2 much quicker.

Iā€™d be inclined to focus your funds on the goal, the Supernait. The SN2 remains a solid performer and can be had for sensible money, there are ex demo SN3ā€™s popping up occasionally now so worth letting your local dealer know youā€™re looking and a deal might be had.
Even if you took a ā€œshortcutā€ with a SN2 itā€™ll pair well with your NDX2, the SN3 is a refinement but youā€™d not find a SN2 lacking with that source.
If you needed to just have a working system, almost anything would be fine, something modest and not going to distract you or chip in to your Supernait pot!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.