NDX2 \ ND555 - Misguided Loyalty

Yeah…seems the naim app doesn’t get great press…what are its weaknesses?

Weirdly, I have had someone else logging onto my naim forum account! Any one else had that? Have just changes the password. Assumed the forum was secure!

Hi Richard…have just received a notification that someone from a different location has been logging on to my forum account…have chnaged the p-word…is this common? Cheers

Check your other connected devices (phone, pad, etc.).

One could be connected to your home network while another from different internet access point.

If those Internet access points were geographically distant enough then that could have caused the alert.

It looks OK from here. Just the one log in location for you. The forum itself should be very secure.

However, if you use an email & password combination that you’ve used before on a site where security was breached then it can cause certain browsers to flag up that you may be at risk. This is a new thing, the aim to help users try to be more secure online.

Furthermore I would recommend that you use two factor authentication.

The Innuos range gives better SQ as you move up the range to the Zenith. The Audiophilleo + PurePower is an excellent USB to SPDIF. I now have 552/500 and would only part with nDAC for nDAC2.

Phil

I purchased the nDAC on its introduction and used it naked with the UnitiServe SSD (which I still have) and dipped my toe into streaming with the Sonos Connect, both using DC1 digital cables.
Then bought a 555ps (non dr, which some prefer with the nDAC) that was a massive step up and gave a lot of pleasure.
Once had occasion to use the digital out on a Marantz CD player through it while my Serve went back to HQ, with very acceptable results.
Don’t give up on your nDAC to easily would be my recommendation it’s excellent value and has a lot to offer.

Hmm. That was maybe a bit misleading. I actually had Roon up and running on trial before I got the ND5XS2, and I just liked the way it worked. So much so that when the ND5XS2 arrived I never even bothered connecting it to the upnp server on my NAS and have, effectively, only ever used it as a Roon endpoint. There are both cheaper and more expensive ways of skinning the same cat. Pick your compromise…

Another vote for trying the ND5XS2. I sure love mine and it serves as a capable backup in case something happens to my nDAC.

When the nDAC was released, many people thought that, but experience proved it was pretty sensitive to the digital source. With your setup and assuming you don’t want to go down the NDX2 route, I’d be tempted to change the XPS for a 555 and look for a good streaming bridge. Many to choose from and VFM is so personal, I’d audition if at all possible.

Roger

2 Likes

I think that assumption might need to be tested. Any SQ differences might not be significant enough to outweigh improved functionality and convenience. Pretty sure I won’t be going further than ND5XS2 - but that might be because I don’t own enough black boxes to tell the difference… :wink:

1 Like

okay thanks

nDac seems to be get good feedback on the forum…

Contrary to the feedback…I am not sure that my Sonos can do any damage to the sound…it either get a signal or it doesn’t…then it passes to nDAC …

I experimented at length with different CD transports playing into the Naim DAC. What I found most remarkable was that while the overall presentation was on the face of it quite similar, there was a huge difference in the sense of being a lifelike event, of “feeling” the music and sense of performance, or not. At worst, a piece would just sound like it was going through the motions with no sense of tension or drama, and no real sense that you were listening to a real event. At best, it was like everything tightened up temporally and the sense of performance happening right in front of you was palpable and would set the hairs on your arms on end. This on the same music, with the same system, the only difference being the drive that was used, and in one or two cases where I had to use TOSLINK optical where coaxial s/pdif wasn’t an option.

3 Likes

I get the “feeling” concept…that’s what I associate with naim…thats the reason I bought into naim originally…I notice it lacking when I listen to friends systems that aren’t naim…

So i guess the only option is experimentation on the transport as several people have suggested…

2 Likes

The 555 does linger as an option…and has done for a while…might be the simplest place to start…

1 Like

I think that this is an excellent description of the difference that digital transports can have on the Naim DAC.

The best digital transports make me want to listen to music through the Naim DAC for hours on end, with lesser transports I get bored listening and tend to go off and do something else instead.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.