NDX2 or ND5XS2?

My Arcam AVR20 remote and my Sky remote all change the volume of my NAC282 perfectly. My Naim remote is in a drawer.

1 Like

My old CDX2 sounds better than my NDX2.
From my 300DR to the 200 the difference is huge.

2 Likes

Well … I like the curtain, Ian …

1 Like

Thank you.

Made by John Lewis for me.

The photos are a baby leopard :leopard: photographed in South Africa and a bee eater photographed from a boat in Namibia

Best wishes

Ian

1 Like

I thought the curtain might be special. I always wanted to visit Africa, but my wife isn’t the least bit interested. C’est la vie …

She sounds very sensible. Poverty tourism is never great and all those air miles are hardly beneficial to the animals people travel to ogle.

Yes, and my CDS3 beats a NDS hands down.

Hello @IainO
Your extended listening test. Is the nDAC a keeper? Or too early to tell…

Of our upgraded 6 box system only the NAP is run in.

Everything else is brand new, freshly serviced or was almost new and has been boxed for a period.

Won’t even try and experiment or make any decision until November time once we hear everything settle down. Also when we put 555 onto NDX2 that will mean a “fresh” analogue stage as we’ll be using NDX2 as transport initially, so that might take time to warm up.

Based on what happened when our XPSDR and 250DR were new we expect to enjoy music one day, question whether we’ve wasted loads of money the next and be unimpressed on many others before turning the system on one day and thinking WOW

2 Likes

The tourists keep the National Parks alive , its either that or poverty agriculture or trophy hunting

8 Likes

I’d be curious to know the answer, too, as it seems like a rare thing here to see someone using them together. I know what my answer is (I have the NDX2/XPS-DR/nDAC combo). :wink:

The nDAC is still on my rack.

2 Likes

I think the likelihood is there isn’t a definitive answer. From what we read here both combos are excellent, but perhaps with slightly different sound signatures with nDAC generally described as darker/more analogue/heavier on the bass.

We’ve got Sonus Faber speakers which absolutely excel in midrange and treble clarity. They’re not all about the bass. At audition we found other speakers such as Spendor were heavier on bass but didn’t have the same midrange sweetness. I can see how someone with those type speakers would make a completely different decision than us when auditioning sources.

If we decided in 3 months to go with NDX2/555 I’d be tempted to keep the nDAC boxed ready to repeat the experiment when we upgrade speakers in future.

2 Likes

You really don’t know what you’re talking about. If these people that aren’t as lucky as you can’t make a living out of tourism they have nothing. As @Ian2001 pointed out if it’s not people with cameras it’ll be assholes with guns.

You’re more than happy using fuel to drag your caravan all over Europe but are quick to criticise others for getting on a plane.

11 Likes

Time out fellas… please.

5 Likes

Understood…November onwards is when you’ll get your ear in as-it-were. @jsawyer09 and I would find your thoughts on the matter very interesting. Keep us posted if you have the time.

Cheers Ian2001 :slight_smile:

Hello @jsawyer09. Your NDX2/XPS-DR/nDAC combo. Is your XPS-DR feeding your NDX2 or is it supplying the juice to your nDAC?

1 Like

Hi @PEFGis . The XPS-DR is feeding the nDAC. I connect my NDX2 directly to a balanced transformer that feeds into a power regenerator, which then is plugged into a 20a dedicated line. The results are very favorable, IMO. I wouldn’t say it is a night/day difference; and many will find $1,000 and an extra box (or 2, making it considerably more) on the rack simply not worth it, but after listening comparisons I have concluded in my setup it is worth that extra contentment with everything I listen to.

2 Likes

I should also add that many descriptions here of the nDAC’s signature is fairly accurate, though I would give it more detail with the PS with the NDX2 than credit has been given. It is quite ‘analogue’ sounding, but holographic detail on par with what I enjoyed about Chord DACs, though those are consistently a very hyper-detailed presentation that you either really like or you don’t. The nDAC with XPS-DR is in many ways a best of both worlds listening experience. I use a Nordost Silver Stream BNC-BNC cable for its never fails to impress presentation. I have owned it for years and prefer it over many. Great all around performer.

3 Likes

Pots and kettles, @anon4489532, pots and kettles.

3 Likes

So happy to hear this description. I also have technically a 3 box source but LOVE it to death. I was pleasantly surprised when I added a few Powerlines to the setup just saying.

2 Likes