NDX2 ordered ... now what?

Being a fan of the CD5X and CD5XS myself, with and without a FC, I appreciate your dilemma.

Although my dealer suggested that he considered the speakers to be the weak link, I can’t see me looking to change these in the foreseeable.

As for going to the 555 level … I do think I’ve set my ceiling with the Classic range (even if a used 555 can be found at a reasonable price). I’m now with my third dealer (over 17 years) and not one has shown any real interest in either taking boxes off me or promoting a used item to me … which leaves me with the Web. My experience buying 2nd hand cars is enough to prevent me going that route :slight_smile:

If you are in the UK, then I would look for a fourth dealer. Most Naim dealers are happy to talk about part exchange and most carry used or ex dem stock.

My reading of this forum is a consensus that the nDAC/XPS-DR with the NDX2 is no better than with the much less costly ND5XS2 …

I’m not likely ever to know but as I have no plans, now, to dispose of the nDAC I do leave myself the option of comparing NDX2 with/without it (XPS-DR used accordingly) … if I can face the dismantling/re-assembly necessary to change the cables!

I have to believe that the NDX2/XPS-DR is the better route. If re-introducing the nDAC makes it better-still, then I will assume that I do not agree with that consensus :rofl:

5 Likes

Ex-dem certainly … but I’ve never had Used stock mentioned to me. Perhaps I have the wrong face (i.e. the dealer thinks I’ll buy new!)

If you are looking for a particular used or ex dem Naim black box from a dealer you have to do a bit of leg work and be prepared to deal with a Naim dealer other than your regular dealer. Some items are rarer than others.

Although I prefer to develop a long term relationship with one dealer, most will understand if you switch temporarily because of the availability of a particular item.

2 Likes

I heard NDX2 with and without a 555PS DR after a ND5 XS2 in the Naim demo room and for me, the NDX2 was much preferable to the ND5 XS2 and it was improved quite a lot further by the power supply.

6 Likes

Music to my ears! :grin:

1 Like

Ah, well … perhaps next time (though the pension fund is now looking decidedly poorer, suggesting there may not be a next time …)

Thanks for the advice.

I’ve had both the ND5 XS 2 and NDX 2 and whilst the ND5 XS 5 is very good the NDX 2 is on another level, as it should be, given the price ratio. Dial in a XPS DR PSU and it leaves the baby player for dust, like proper gone. Zoom!

6 Likes

I’m not following your route but I’ll take what you say (write) with pleasure!

It now looks as if it will be post Christmas when the NDX2 appears … oh well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.