NDX2/SN3 Speaker Recommendations

Wow, thanks for the correction. I didn’t know they have one at the rear

1 Like

The last time I heard the Statement demoed some years back in Australia, they used one of the silly Grand Utopia models to go with it….all I could hear was treble really. Swear I came out with less plaque on my teeth….! :rofl:

Neat is a good shout and surprisingly fairly available in Oz, well over East anyway…
A set of the Iota Explorers could go well in the restricted space on the right that @100Harbour has here…I’m not sure how close they can go back to wall, but I think they are ported downwards through the base, certainly are Iso-Baric in the bottom section….

IMG_5136

SC

6 Likes

My dealer (who’s also the Aus distributor) has them in his showroom, I’ve always been curious to have a listen. They look great.

1 Like

They’re supposed to sound really good…
I’ve heard the Alpha, which is smaller still and came out before the Explorer and was the first baby floorstander added to the Iota range – they were really good and actually my old man nearly got a pair to go with his Nova as they too had a bit of a restricted space for speakers….They really are tiny physically and almost funny looking, but have a sound that really belies their size and I mean that aside to typical Hi-Fi speak….
I’ve read lots of good things re the Explorer and that the larger cabinet really helps take them into territory where they are serious alternatives to ‘traditional’ floorstanders….

1 Like

I’m just listening to my Neats now, love them. I’ve never heard anyone that didn’t like their speakers.

4 Likes

This may be of interest:

FYI, I have the Neats 30 cm from the wall and the Kantas 40cm from the wall. I should imagine the larger Explorer would be great with the SN3.

1 Like

Whereabouts are you in Bangers @JamesBKK ? I used to live there, some 15yrs ago now (Initially in Klongsan, then Silom area and finally Soi Ari)
What’s the Naim distribution/availability like there now…? When I was living there, there was a long running distributor/dealer on Surawong Road – they were lovely (family based, as Thais typically are!), but didn’t hold much stock really, just mainly the 5-series models at the time…I believe they ceased being the distributor some years back now. As I got more serious with my Naim interests, I started making trips down to Singapore as the dealer and stock situation was somewhat better at the time….

SC

Hi @S.C I’ve been here 20 years (with stints in Hanoi and Jakarta too). Soi Ari has really taken off. I live in Pattanakarn, just past Ekhamai, more space for speakers out there!

The main Naim + Focal dealer is in Paragon mall. They have a decent set up and a listening room. There are a few other dealers who stock bits of Naim (+other brands). Availability is just ok - the 200 series is available, but not the 300. It is more the pricing and tax that is the issue… I have not heard of a dealer at Surawong Road so assume they have closed.

Yeah, I knew Ari had/was taking off – it was starting to just before/as we left…I liked the area. We had a great apartment at the time, but there was building starting to happen behind (a la Bangkok!) and I had a fear things were going to change and block our wonderful view…! I used to also have a brilliant little apartment on the 17th flr in Bann Chao Phraya on the river – loved that place, views were just spectacular, especially when a storm came in…! Last time I visited, I see a new tower has finally gone up next door, which would have totally blocked my view…!
Yeah I know whereabouts you are, nice area….Bit more chilled as you say…!

Good to know there’s a dealer in Paragon now – have spent many an hour on that floor that’s for sure…!
Yep, that Thai ‘Luxury Tax’ was always a killer…! Even made Wine a considered ‘treat’ purchase…!

Haven’t been through for a couple of years now, but THAI have finally just announced resumption of the Perth route….so hopefully will be headed that way soon – miss my Pad Krapow Moo …! :hot_pepper:

(Sorry for diversion all….)

SC

3 Likes

Asavasapon, that was them…

Stopped longer ago than I remembered, only a few years after I left….Lovely people.

Just found the Connection article:

SC

1 Like

How can you possibly doubt me? It’s an outrage.

Asavasopon has been no longer Naim dealer for quite sometimes. My 282/200 and Linn Basik deck were purchased from them.

1 Like

Yes, as I said. 2013 I believe.
I don’t know if there’s any store there at all now and they sell other brands, or if they closed completely…?

SC

1 Like

The store near Surawong road was closed for a few years. By the way, they are still selling Bose and the other ear phone brand. They have several shops in shopping malls. Sadly to see the particular shop closed. I’s often window shopping for Nait 2 there when I was young since I cannot afford it then.

My place is not far from Surawong Road and just the opposite site of the river from Bann Chao Phraya.

(Sorry for the diversion)

1 Like

I wasn’t much different in the mid 2000’s!….in fact, not much has changed now :rofl: – though that’s more due to practically no dealers where I am now: I think Bangkok was better in the ‘90s than Perth is in 2024…! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I humbly apologize for the careless mistake, Sir :pray::saluting_face::face_with_peeking_eye:

Just don’t do it again!!

Big thanks to each one of you for the overwhelming responses and valuable insights you’ve shared in response to my post. Your collective expertise have been instrumental in guiding me through my decision-making process.

In the past few days, my wife and I had the opportunity to audition both the PMC Twenty5 26i and the Audiovector R3 Arrete with the SN3 that I brought along. It was a great experience as both speakers showcased remarkable performance. The testing was intriguing, with certain tracks shining on the PMC, especially in Jazz, while others, particularly in Rock, seemed to favor the Audiovector. Currently, between these two models, I find myself leaning towards the PMC Twenty5 26i.

@JohnnyReggie, I’ve located a retailer for the Kudos Super20a in Melbourne. However, I have some concerns about recommended placement found in the manual: "in most circumstances we would recommend that the cabinets are placed at least 45cm away from corners.

@Zhenya, Женя, I appreciate your suggestion about the ATC 40s, it seems that there is a retailer in Melbourne. While these speakers seem impressive, they may be too wide (370mm) for my corner placement. Also, I was confused with different versions of this model (Active? Tri-wiring?).

1 Like

@HungryHalibut, your caution about achieving a well-balanced system is duly noted. My strategy is to explore options, shortlist favorites, and then make a decision based on value for money.

@Dan_M, thank you sincerely for sharing your insights and the photos of your setup. Unfortunately, securing a demo for the Focal Sopra 2 in Melbourne has proven challenging. While the warehouse offers them at an appealing price, I hesitate to make a purchase without a proper audition, given my past experience with testing Aria and Kanta.

@Pete_the_painter, thank you for recommending Neat speakers. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a local retailer in Melbourne. Should I consider relocating to Sydney? :wink:

1 Like