‘NDX2/Supernait 3 vs Uniti Nova’

Which is exactly why I was very specific to limit the comparison to my ears and my speakers. Lots of people are delighted with their Nova, with small speakers such as the PMC 21, to bigger ones like the 23 and even bigger ones like the Kanta 2. That’s why I was so surprised at the magnitude of the difference. I really wanted the Nova to be the answer, but sadly every time I listened to it, what was missing was just so obvious.

3 Likes

The Nait 2 is just lovely, and would look great sitting on the shelf beneath my olive NAT 02. Call me shallow, but there is no way I’d give up remote control and system automation.

1 Like

I’m also running a SN3 & bare NDX2 and previously had a Nova, your findings pretty much concur with my experience, my hearings not too bad either! I never really got on with the Atom or Nova, they just dident do it for me sonically - a little brash and loose bass. The Nova may be good ‘value’ relatively but it’s still a lot of money, personally I think it should sound better at that price point.

I’d also thought about a Nova and wondered how well it would run my Spencer A7s. I’ve not done anything about it though apart from temporarily use my ND5XS as the streamer rather then transport into the nDAC - I could have lived with it but the nDAC/XPS DR is so much better even with my hearing.
It’s likely that I’m tackling it from the wrong end though and should really look at the 82/Suoercap/250. :thinking:

HI All, new to the new forum (used to be on the old one) I have just come back to naim from Vitus, via a few other things. Demoed a SN3 NDX2 and liked it a lot. Demoed a 250 with my then current pre but also have a Atom HE so it would be rude not to try it. Long story short I preferred the 250 Atom HE into both my Sopra No1s and Harbeth M30.1s. More control of the bass which also seemed to go deeper. I think the HE as a pre is going to become a bit of a budget classic. Having said that I now have a 282 with the 250 and as expected it is a big step up (Using a P10 Allnic > phono stage and a Brinkmann Nyquist as sources)

8 Likes

How is the Nyquist sounding vs Ndx2, if you could have compared ?

You could semi automate a NAIT 2

robot hand

They are special, I’ve always lusted after one myself. The NAIT 2 that is, not the Robot hand, I’ve already got one of those.

6 Likes

Massively better. A bit less detailed but much more analog like. Also more weight and slam. Remember I tried the ndx2 without power supply though. So £6k vs £14k, not really fair!

When I got the nyquist I demoed the virus 101 dac chord Dave with m scaler and dcs Bartok. Nyquist won!

2 Likes

Very interesting. Thanks. Does it sound organic ? Is it quick, involving, foot tapping ?

I wouldn’t bother, I had that combo for a while and they were not happy bedfellows. I’ve since shifted my A7’s and now running Classic 3.1’s with a SN3 & NDX2 which is delightful.

2 Likes

Yes absolutely. If you have heard brinkmann turntables it has a similar signature. It is the only dac I have had that did not have that digital harshness that is what makes me prefer vinyl. It is on the warm side To my ears but I prefer that. At some point I will look at comparing it to ndx2 and ps but in no rush. If you have not seen it Fermer reviewed it and I would agree with most of his thoughts on it.

1 Like

During my journey I went from a UnitiQute2 to a Nova, and then SN2 / NDX2. I still have the Nova as my second system. I think Nigel’s description is pretty accurate, the SN2 / NDX2 added quite a bit more weight and cohesion over the Nova. I haven’t found the Nova lacking in bass though - matched with Totem Hawks, the sound is very detailed and engaging and the design is rather lovely. Bring on a Supernova at the SN2 / NDX2 level in a standard, but higher, box I say.

I think both options are great at their price points, which is pretty consistent with cost/performance across the standard Naim combinations.

4 Likes

I have read the Nyquist 1 review, some time ago. But I remember it was found nice but a bit smooth and not so urgent or grippy. A bit romantic. But it was the 1 , not the 2.

Interesting thread, i was really curious where the downsizing would end :slight_smile:

Great and detailed post HH and interesting to me as I’m toying with going to NDX2 / SN3 from my Nova so good to get a direct opinion on the two systems. I have connected my 250.2 to my Nova before and that definitely adds more bass, drive and bottom end in general but at the expense of some control and detail I felt. I really like the convenience of the Nova but have always wanted that extra depth and bass presence which I felt was there with my previous 172/250 setup. I have taken out the 250 as the bare Nova seems more balanced, so maybe the NDX2/SN3 is the way forward for the sound I’m after….
As an aside, did you try the P10 into the Nova? If so, what were your thoughts in comparison to the SN3??

Here:

3 Likes

To say that a Nait 2 sounds better than a SN3 is just plain silly. I have both and will tell you that there is no comparison between the two components. The Nait 2 is fun but lacks power and detail in the lower frequency department. The amp was built with cheaper parts and was never designed to be a long term product. The SuperNait is currently driving a pair of Wilson Audio Alexa speakers with authority, something the Nait 2 could never do.

I always appreciate the Naim sound but these individuals who are stuck in the last century and feed off of pure nostalgia are missing out.

As a Naim dealer I can tell you that even the Nait 5si is way better in every catagory than the Nait 2.

15 Likes

thank you thank you thank you.

finally some honest post about the legendary nait 2.

3 Likes

I tend to agree yes

I have a few bits of the CB stuff, it’s just a link to the past for me and nice to play in my 3rd system from time to time

The classic series leaves it for dead as it should

3 Likes

Didnt know this… impressive. More impressive? The price.

1 Like