‘NDX2/Supernait 3 vs Uniti Nova’

38 euros, all in one player and amp. Fantastic !

1 Like

Yes, I tried the P10. The conclusions were the same - the Nova was very clear and detailed, but with less bass and somehow less musical and enjoyable. More for the head then the heart, if that makes sense. As I understand it, analogue inputs are converted to digital, so given the signal is going through the dac and amplifier, plus an adc, it’s perhaps inevitable that the overall sound would be similar to that from streaming.

One unexpected benefit of this little experiment is that the detailed listening involved, and the thinking about it to enable me to put my thoughts into words, has really made me appreciate what I’ve got. With my dodgy hearing, the fact that I can easily tell the difference has somehow really helped me.

12 Likes

Something like a superuniti then :grinning:

1 Like

I have a Nova in my 2:nd system I think it’s a awesome player. It’s so good that I don’t use my Linn system so often nowadays.

4 Likes

Mike, the bass thing is what really surprised me. I played an album by Keith Jarrett and Charlie Haden, and as anyone who knows Haden’s playing will be aware, he uses a lot of the lower register. I know my speakers are small but while they won’t flap your trousers they can go surprisingly low and can give a really believable rendition of the double bass. But with the Nova the bass was so reduced it was almost like the duo had become a solo effort. It was totally unsatisfactory and something I really don’t understand, given all the positive reports, such as yours.

The Linn is never going to sound much cop placed at the top of that wobbly stand. Put it on a small, light and low stand or table, or a good wall shelf, and you’ll be surprised at the difference.

My experience is closer to Mike_S than HH. The NDX2/SN3 combination is better. But I couldn’t bring myself to get rid of the Nova so it is now used as a second system with some 40 year old B&W DM4 spekers in completely the wrong position and with some (relatively) ordinary speaker cable.

I have been astonished at how good it sounds and bass is not missing. It does sound bland though at very low levels. The bass is a little boomy at times but that is down to where the speakers are rather than the system. I still rate the Nova very highly for not only its looks and ease of use but also the sound it produces. To the extent I sometimes (only sometimes) wonder about the comparative cost of my investment in the main system.

Edit: So I am sure that speakers play a big role in one’s view of the Nova.

5 Likes

As I’ve said, in no way am I criticising the Nova, I’m simply reporting my findings. It really boils down to the age old advice to listen to system and speaker combinations in your own home. The system/room/speaker interaction is critical to success and every instance will be slightly different. Like I said, I was surprised.

1 Like

Yes, maybe it’s just the difference in the speaker matching with the Nova, or how we perceive or express the differences. There is no question that the SN3 will deliver better control of the speakers resulting in tighter and more refined bass. It’s more that with good system matching, the Nova can provide a relatively satisfying lower end in my experience. Off course, there is always better….

I always enjoy the Nova, but the 252/250 is quite a bit more in every regard, as it should for the price difference.

Going back to the original question, I think the key is, what is the budget and balance the system (speakers) to that. Although, that then raises the inevitable vortex of better source and amp with modest speakers versus better speakers and a lessor front end……

Do you know how old the Nova was when you tried it? Some of the differences you describe are what I would associate with a system that wasn’t run in or warmed up, sometimes even if it had been sat unused in its box for a while. Not that I’m suggesting it should be able to compete with your NDX2/Supernait, but still.
For what it’s worth my Atom took ages to reveal its abilities, and I only really started to enjoy it when I switched to NACA5 despite the suggestion that the Unitis are supposed to be more tolerant of different cables.

1 Like

I know what you mean and I thought the same. But it was the shop demo that has been well used for nine months. It was in the box for only two hours and I let it warm up before critical listening. It was as fair a comparison as I could manage.

It’s best if you listen to whether the NDX2 / SN3 presentation suits you.

I was doing a demo in the showroom comparing the Nova vs Nova / 250DR vs NDX2 / SN3 vs NDX2 / 282/250 on the Dynaudio Heritage Special speakers.
I would like to add that I rate my hearing as very good and recently I take care of it more and more - e.g. mowing grass only with mute headphones;).

In brief:

• The Nova sounded terribly weak, I don’t know what was wrong with it, cables, speakers, acoustics, or maybe a direct comparison with the NDX2? It was not the same the Nova that I have at home. It sounded like an Atom to me, muffled, lacking in detail.
  • Nova / 250DR - a bit better, but clearly worse than the NDX2 / SN3
  • NDX2 / SN3 - sounded very expressive with a strong base, which I felt was out of control. I didn’t like it because the sound was tiring me.
  • NDX2 / 282 / 250DR - bass was no longer tiring, everything got more maturity and attention, I felt that it sounds like my Nova with the Dynaudio Special Forty (better of course, but similar).

I have the impression that the Nova is very picky when it comes to the cables and speakers used. A well-chosen one can repay you. I use mine with the Tellurium Q Black II cables (speakers/power), and I listen mainly to Pink Floyd and in my opinion their albums, especially from recently released high resolution files, sound wonderful on this equipment (considering the size of the speakers and the cost).

For a while I was ready to try 282 at home, I already had an appointment for a demo.
I was not convinced after listening to it in the showroom, but I thought that since the Nova sounded so poor in the showroom, and in my apartment it sounded so well, I was curious to compare it in my room. The last seller delayed the delivery of the equipment, and after reading a few 252 vs 282 threads and taking into account the number of elements, costs, and ease of use, I decided to cancel the demo and stayed with the Nova.

To sum up, if I hadn’t had my Nova (which also let me down a bit at the beginning), I wouldn’t even consider it after listening to it in the showroom (if the costs didn’t make a difference).

6 Likes

Until about a year ago I had a sn3 (with hicap) and ndx1 in my second system (nSats on wall brackets). Traded that in to offset the big upgrades in main system, got an atom and more recently sold the atom and got a nova

The nova sounded terrible for the first couple of weeks but it is now a lot better - it was apparently a few months old when I got it so I wonder if it hadn’t been used much. I kind of wish I had kept the sn3 now and in the long run traded ndx1 for 2 though.

1 Like

It is not woobly at all. It’s a Quadraspire installed by my Linn dealer.

1 Like

Wobbliness is part of the Quadraspire design. Maybe you could buy some more feet and split it into two lower stacks. As it is, it’s very far from ideal for an LP12. Try it and you’ll see, irrespective of how your dealer set it up.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s not important for you, as it’s your second system. But I agree with HH here, the Lp12 is not on a correct stand to work optimally.
I had the Quadraspire in the past and I didn’t kept it long. It was really not stable.

Thank’s for the advices, but I’m very satisfied so I will keep the Qudraspire to my Linn system.

1 Like

I agree totally with Mr HH and the bass on the Nova. It is great but at that price is going to have some drawbacks.
My Nova gets turned on 6-6.30am every day and is on until similar time in the pm when I finish work and turn the main system on.
Because I have been listening to the Nova all day it always makes the main system sound special and stops the upgradeitus setting in.
For me this is worth a lot especially for those changes you can do that are just different not better but still cost decent amount of money.
I do love my Nova and wouldn’t be without it.

5 Likes

20 Likes

Ah, I understand Quadraspire have changed the design , so that it is stable .

If you have a wobbly one (ooh Matron) they can now firm it up for you, so that it doesn’t wobble.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

1 Like