NDX2 to NAC282 System Automation question

Hello,
When connecting the 3.5mm remote output on the back of the NDX2 to the RCA RC5 socket on the rear of the NAC 282 preamp to enable system automation is any configuration necessary on the NAC 282 to enable the function?

I understand that you have to enable System Automation in the NDX2 settings but, apart from that, is it just a question of plugging in?

I haven’t been able to try this yet as the supplied cable is mini-jack to mini-jack. I’m just pre-empting any problems! I can’t find anything in the preamp manual that suggests any configuration is necessary.

There’s nothing you need to configure on the 282, just set it up on the NDX2 and it should work.

1 Like

Thanks for your help again Chris.

Make sure the 3.5-RCA is mono.

G

1 Like

Yes, thanks Graeme. I’ve ordered one today. I did wonder, because the supplied 3.5mm - 3.5mm is stereo.

1 Like

On the NDX2 remember to also enable RC5 modulation.

1 Like

A stereo lead will work just fine.
Best

David

1 Like

Thanks Mark. All helpful. It says to switch on RC5 modulation for older preamp compatibility. Mine is 3 years old but I’ll check it anyway.

Also, my settings don’t have an “NDX2 input” as yours do; I just have Preamp 1-6 listed. I’m using the Tuner input on the 282 for the NDX2 which is 2nd from the left, looking from the back. Is that Preamp 2?

As regards RC5 modulation, all the preamps except statement are ‘classic’ i.e. older. My 252 is only 1 month old and it needs ‘classic’ enabled.

As regards the input on the preamp, I’m using preamp 3 ‘HD’. Once system automation is connected and switched on, it seem to re-label the ‘input’ in that menu.

1 Like

OK Mark. Thanks for your help. That should make it easier.

My stereo one worked fine until the most recent software update and a power-down. Then it wouldn’t allow me to select ‘Preamplifier 1’. Most odd. A simple mono replacement solved the issue.

G

My search trawl has not enlightened me as to what enabling ‘RC5 Modulation’ achieves?

It works fine without it modulated on my NDX2/282…

G

My guess is that it’s required if you use an old Naim streamer, but not relevant with the new Zigbee remotes.

I suspect a firm unplug and plug in at both ends might have fixed that. It’s just a question of one of the two wires in a stereo lead making contact at both ends. There is nothing special going on.
Best
David

1 Like

I was working on the assumption that RC5 is the old Narcom protocol used for the remote controls that come with the 282 and 252 and was therefore needed

Given this is a new gen streamer (NDX2) and this is the menu in the new gen streamer which comes with the Zigbee control perhaps this menu item might make the old remote work with the NDX2? I shall try that out.

1 Like

I really don’t think that’s likely! The zigbee remote uses wireless and the legacy remote uses light for a start.

I think what it means is more likely to be that you could control some aspects of a legacy preamp from your NDX2 (or from its remote or the Naim app).

Best

David

1 Like

The cable arrived and all is well. RC5 Modulation wasn’t necessary but the input wasn’t re-labelled, it just stayed as Preamp 2. Thanks again.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.