NDX2 Upgrade

There’s a lot to be said for finding a source that you like and sticking with. Improve amplification later if you want, but get the foundations right and stick with it makes for enjoyment in place of frustration.

4 Likes

Yeah, sorry, I did not intend to contradict you. In your situation it makes sense. It would have been better not to stick my general comment into a reply to your post

The only issue with this, Mike, could be the expense involved. The PSU is not an inexpensive upgrade - but if it’s as good as described then clearly it’s worth it.

3 Likes

Lots of love on here for the NDX2, no doubting that. Peoples preferences change, some add a power amp to a Nova others a different DAC to their NDX2. The point I was making wasn’t a comparison just that people sometimes want to make changes to their system and utilising their NDX2 as a transport may be the best way forward.

1 Like

I agree, and I guess each option (including bare) is good. It’s an option though that most other transports and DACs don’t have - though I have a Heed DAC that uses various power supply options.

1 Like

I see the Simaudio Mind. Does it performs well ? a good transport ?

No need to get defensive. My comments about the dac in the ndx2 were in response to my post for advice for next upgrade and whether to go for the xpsdr onto my ndx2, or add sc to my 282.
The responses seemed to include a lot of favour for an external dac as a better next step over power sources.

I don’t think he was defensive at all (not @seakayaker’s style) but rather asking the fr*** obvious. Admittedly, demoing is not possible in all places… Did you listen to your NDX2 before dishing out £5K?

1 Like

…sorry if you took offense since none was intended.

Just an old man settling into my retirement years and sharing my experience and opinion.

I wish you nothing but success and joy on your HiFi journey!

5 Likes

I love being retired, even if it means having to slum it with my NDX2 and its totally inadequate dac. I really enjoy listening to it and had no idea its dac was so bad until I read it on here. It’s a shame to now know it’s so bad as I’ve only had it for six weeks. I guess I must now sell it and get a Chord.

11 Likes

It’s the ND555 owners i feel really sorry for, even the Chord Mojo dac is better than the one in that.

I’m praying that any 555 owners dont see this thread. Sorry and all that.

1 Like

I can’t speak to the sc but I just added a second hicapdr to my 282 with very pleasing results. Really filled out the low end with better defined bass textures as mentioned in another thread. I don’t know if it would have had the same impact if I had not already had the xpsdr. The xpsdr brought my NDX2 up to the level of my previous cd players. The NDX2 always sounded good-just somewhat thin and two dimensional comparatively. The xpsdr opened things up and put some meat on the bones. Auditions are not possible where I live so I try to get dealer demo pieces that I can move on without much loss. No regrets so far…

1 Like

Don’t we all buy hifi stuff we like and then have the urge to upgrade / change after a while? Following your argument, everyone should be perpetually happy with the equipment they demoed and bought - clearly this is not the case with the vast majority of people on this forum.

For a lot of people with a NDX2 it’s exactly that - and the question becomes whether adding a power supply or an external DAC would result in a larger bang for the buck sound quality upgrade.

I don’t believe anyone has a problem with any of this. But none of what you wrote means that “the internal dac is lacking” in the NDX2

I know adding the PS makes a huge improvement! That was my experience…

3 Likes

Depends on what you compare the NDX2 Dac against. Surely it’s better than the DAC in NDX or ND5XS2. But how about a Chord Cutest, a RME ADi-2 or a SMSL Su 9 - which are some of the best measured DACs in production? Or a dCS Rossini?

They are different. If you don’t like the NDX2, don’t buy it. I like it as it is
Edit: And a Rossini costs several times as much, come on. Is the 500 lacking? After all there is Statement.

1 Like

I’m sure it does. Very obvious improvements on the occasions that I have heard it. Although may be try an external DAC such as a Chord Cutest to compare when the inevitable urge to upgrade your XPS to a 555 comes though :grinning:

The problem is that it will be anymore the Naim sound. I value a lot when there is a grip, a feeling of urgency, a cohesive, propulsive and organic sound, all characteristics of the Naim source sound.
I didn’t found these characteristics in chord Hugo and Dave. What I found instead is better clarity, more details, better separated instruments, and better soundstaging.
So yes, for these last aspects, Chord dacs are better.
But for my musical and emotional connection, I prefer without any doubt the Naim presentation.

8 Likes

My goal was originally to have a two box solution, then found with the four boxes on a four shelf rack is perfect for me.

If I was looking to improve the DAC I am afraid I would be looking at the ND 555 and of course the NAPS555-DR PS. Where I live that would be $31,980.00 (USD) plus a 10.1% sales tax. So I know that is not within my buying power and have reached the pinnacle with my spending power as I have entered the world of retirement living.

To be honest I just have not been interested in Chord or other products since I am quite satisfied with the Naim products and the music from my system, in my room, with my ears is sublime!

If I was looking for at Chord DAC I would most likely be looking for a stand alone streamer instead of only using a portion of the functionality of the Naim network player.

I am happy to hear and read about what brings other members joy.

8 Likes