Need help (yes I know this isn’t the place) I’m thinking of upgrading to a NAC252

I wasn’t sure if you should laugh at that or not. I am seeing my 93 year old Mum, she’s coming around for brunch.

Sensational - how good is that - you are a lucky man to still have her in your life

Over and out

1 Like

A few months back I moved from the superb 272/555DR to the tried and tested 282/HCDR setup.

Source ND5XS2 into an MScaler/ Qutest.
MScaler is one of those products you need to hear and not read about on forums its one hell of a piece of engineering.

2 Likes

A friend of mine’s 99 year old mum told him that she was going to live forever and threw a pot plant, handily close to hand by her bed, at him to emphasise the point.

As he’s paying her care home fees, he said to me later that he feared she was right.

I ended up jumping ship rather than continuing to wait. I suspect Naim would suggest anyone with a 272/PS/250 or similar and wanting just 3 boxes move to NDX2/PS/SN3 for better streaming and possibly better sound. But that doesn’t work so well with active speakers, a setup Naim themselves seemed to encourage in the early years of the 272. If a replacement had arrived in time I’d probably be on 272.2/555PS now. But we’re in extraordinary times and it must be very tough to operate at all at present, so let’s hope patience is rewarded soon.

Roger

Pete, my suggestion would be go with NDX 2 with your XPS and replace the 272 with a 282. Not much help I know but after a couple years you could replace the 282 with the 252 or both the NDX 2 and 282 with the 272 replacement. …or do nothing and just wait…

tick - tock, tick - tock… time keeps moving.

…or we could stop reading the forum and perhaps just listen to music.

decisions, decisions, decisions…

Having fun yet?

Life is pretty darn sweet…

2 Likes

I wouldn’t wait for the new 272 either. Obviously we don’t know how it would sound… But the 282 could outlive all of us — but that won’t apply to any streamer/preamp. Better keep the digital stuff away from the preamp, in my opinion…

Ha I can always count on you for words of wisdom. The tick tock reminds me of the line in Pink Floyd’s DSOTM.

The 282 is definitely an option and a conversation I’ll have with my trusty dealer this week. As for the ignoring some of these threads and just listening to music is very sensible (think I might have said it myself a few times) but hard to do.

How’s your home demo going, have you made any decisions yet.

3 Likes

I had a 272/XPS and 250dr and wanted the new streamer features, so gave up waiting for the 272 replacement too. In the end I went to ND555/PS and SN3 with a hi Cap. There’s quite a loss of drive going from the 250 to the SN3, although there’s so much more detail, beautifully presented by the source. In the end to keep the box count low I am replacing the SN3 and speakers with a NAC282 and some active ATCs. A lot of change, but now there are big improvements all round.

3 Likes

Good morning mate. I think you have a good problem. As you have the XPS DR and the 250 adding the NDX2 will see you through either the 282 or 252 with a balanced system. It might come down to how far you want to go /spend and what opportunities there are for stock, ex-demo or second hand. Either outcome of a 282 or 252 will be a superb and balanced system, so you can’t really go wrong.

2 Likes

This is the problem, I’m using Qobuz and if I’m listening on my main system (272) I have to stream it from my Atom.

Apparently both 252 and 282 are available (Sydney) and I think the NDX2 is in stock in Melbourne.

However if I knew a replacement for the 272 was coming I’d wait, don’t know why Naim can’t confirm it. It not like the competitors are going to steal their idea, they already have one.

1 Like

…yes Pete, I have went ahead and added the 282 permanently to my rack. I just updated the thread a short time ago. I will be running it with the power amp side of the SN2 for the time being and I am quite happy with the uplift in performance. I am sure there is more to be had by swapping out the SN2 for a 250 DR but that will have to wait, patience and time, yes that’s it, patience and time, yes, patience, time and money! ha, ha, life is so sweet!

Good luck with your dealer and hope you come to a good space with where you want to be system wise.

3 Likes

If I go with the 282/hc it’ll save money on extra Fraim levels as well. Decision decision, life was definitely sweeter when we didn’t have so much choice.

1 Like

Time, Money, next it will Brain Damage :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

I’m up to that already. :wink:

1 Like

I just realised I’d not have a headphone amp, don’t use mine much but it’s nice to know you have it. Damn.

I think the 282 comes with the NAPSC included in price, don’t have to have hicap but much better with it

You can run one directly off the NDX2 there are good ones at reasonable prices in the overall scheme of things. I’ve actually ended up with a spare one at the moment.

Think the 282/hi cap/NDX2 is the way to go. Has anyone gone from a 272 to a 282? Interested to know what people think.