Need help (yes I know this isn’t the place) I’m thinking of upgrading to a NAC252

I haven’t heard that combo Pete but it makes real sense and I’ll bet it sounds great

Off to the Royal Oak pub in Balmain now for lunch

I miss those pubs in Balmain, use to live there. We use to walk out the door and no matter which way we went within half a kilometre we’d be in a pub.

The NDX2 will be quite an improvement I think. I do wonder, though, how much better the 282 will be over the pre-amp in the 272 when run with the XPS DR?

Yes that’s $1m question. It’s not the extra $4k for the 252 it’s the extra $7k for the ps that’s the killer. Once you add them it’s $11k over the 282/hi cap option.

1 Like

Ah yes I forgot about the XPS for the NDX2

As long as Mrs Pete doesn’t find out just add it on :crazy_face:

I think if you are going to go that way then may as well go the full hog once and for all

Happy mother’s day - the pub was chokers

Chockers

He has the XPS, how much beer did you have?

It’s the cost of the SC that blows things put big time.

@Mike_S @Bevo I have a XPS dr that I’m keeping for the NDX2.

What’s he worried about then ??? :+1:

Not too many beers today, too many last night ha

Mother’s Day seems to be in its second week here between all the mums!!

The 252/SC is $11K north of the 282/HiCap!!! Still, it would soon be a distant memory…

I just wish he would hurry up and buy something, then Naim can release the updated 272…

3 Likes

I’ve done the numbers (in my head) will confirm with Harry tomorrow if his numbers match mine and I can sweet talk Mrs Pete (no mean feat) it’s the 282 combo.

That’s bound to happen, and you shouldn’t be so cocky they might just update all the pre amps as well. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Hay I only thought it on Thursday and I’m confirming tomorrow. I ain’t going any faster.

Yep get you on that one Pete. When I purchased the 252 a year or so ago it was always in the back of my mind Naim might be looking to bring out an upgrade. But how long does one wait and will I hear any difference and it will be more expensive for sure.

And here I am today thoroughly enjoying the music

My dilemma is somewhat different and no one has convinced me yet

My second system is built around the SN3/HICAPDR with CD5XS/nDAC/XPS-2 (apart from TT )

Excluding convenience and access to more music , if I move to a NDX2/XPSDR combo , do I get a significant upgrade in SQ

Slow down man!

1 Like

This is a subject that has been done to death over the last few years, but to save you digging, this is my take on it. Soon after the 272 was released I spoke to my dealer about it and was considering 272/XPSDR/250DR. So he set up a demo of that system plus a few alternative Naim systems for comparison, and left me to it for a couple of lengthy demo sessions.
I had asked for a system with no more than 3 boxes, so that ruled ruled out the 250 in a separates system as that would require a Hicap. So he suggested NDX/202/200DR. On balance I preferred the separates to the 272 based system despite the lower spec power amp and considerably lower price, although I could happily have lived with either. I then swapped out the 202 for a 282, and with the price being still a little lower that the 272, and the better preamp really improving everything, it was a clear winner for me.

That was with the 1st gen. NDX - obviously you would expect a bigger improvement with the NDX2.

You preferred the 282 over the 272 (as a pre amp).

Did you noticed much when you came down from a 552 to a 252.