Need help (yes I know this isn’t the place) I’m thinking of upgrading to a NAC252

I did but you’re ears get use to it , it’s a bit like moving from the 252 to the 552, it was wonderful but after a couple of months it just becomes what it is

Funny really I’ve had them all and the sweet spot for me is the 252, I love it

2 Likes

You need to power the 282 with a HiCap, 2 HiCaps or a SuperCap. The NAPSC only powers the circuit board.

I’ve having trouble stretching finances to justify the 252, the extra $11k plus another Fraim level etc is a deal breaker.

Lots of people prefer the 282 over the 252 so I wouldn’t it too much Pete, I’m thinking the 282 probably better than the 272 preamp anyway. Lots say the 282 bit more exciting than the 252 which is not a bad thang at all

Yes 252 gets expensive as have to have the SCDR

Thanks seakayaker - ii i read the Naim website it says the hicap is an upgrade and when I had an 82 I’m pretty sure I only had the NAPSC

1 Like

Think you can power it off the NAP 200 and the 155 as well.

1 Like

At the end of the day, either option is going to be great at it’s price point. That’s the beauty of the standard matching through the Naim range.

But, there’s an ex-demo 252 that will reduce the cost?

I’ll investigate in the morning but I don’t think so, I don’t want to purchase from anyone else. I’ve stuck with my dealer for 27 years. None of my marriages have lasted that long.

2 Likes

Hi Pete. Without disclosing too much and offending the forum gods, are you trading in/buying used/ex demo or are you managing a discount on new?

I ask as I live in the same corner of the world as you and I can’t find anyone interested in that sort of thing (as I muse a preamp upgrade).

…from the NAIM website: “The NAPSC independently powers the NAC 282’s digital and control circuits, leaving its audio circuits to either the power supply of a NAC 155 XS or NAP 200 power amplifier, or to one of our standalone FlatCap XS, HiCap or SuperCap power supplies.” There are a number of threads over the years that discuss the need for 1 HiCap or 2 HiCaps or a SuperCap.

My brief experience with the 282 is that it is a fantastic PreAmp with one HiCap and the NAPSC that comes with the 282.

1 Like

Ha ha - same here :smiley:

There’s a deal with all Naim dealers, 15% with a trade in. My understanding is that is on top of what you get for the trade.

Not sure that applys if purchasing ex demo gear

Probably not. But you’d expect the discount for an x demo would be close to that anyway.

I only made the comparison between NDX/282 and 272/XPS so I was comparing the two streamer/DAC/preamp combinations. How much of the improvement came from the source vs the preamp I wouldn’t like to say.

2 Likes

I’m in a similar (identical?) pickle to Pete, with exactly the same Naim electronics, and with a more limited choice of used gear locally.

Hoping to do an NDX2 / 282 shop demo in the next few weeks. Assuming this combo sounds decently better than the current setup (as it should), I plan to take the NDX2 home and use with the 272 pre-amp while I consider the 282 / 252 conundrum in a more leisurely fashion.

Still hard to see any N272 successor outperforming NDX2 / 282, let alone NDX2 / 252, although I guess stranger things have happened.

I didn’t really plan on another 5-box system when I returned to Naimworld a few years ago, but since I clearly have returned, it seems churlish to fret about box count when it’s the sound that matters.

1 Like

After getting a great deal from my long suffering dealer in Sydney (Harry) I’ve decided to pull the trigger on a 252, SC DR and a NDX2, plus 2 extra levels of Fraim. Should be installed and up and running mid next week. Ha, and I’ve also ordered a large bunch of flowers and booked Mrs Pete’s favourite restaurant. :grin:

7 Likes

In my experience, I found the 252 far more accommodating of sources than the 282… seemingly the 252 to my ears is better able to show up the sources for what they truly are. For example the CDX2 sounds wonderful on the 252, less so on the CDX2 where it can sound too forward.
So by looking at 252 you may be able to carry on with more enjoyment from your 272-N in DAC mode, or even try a new ND5XS2 given your interest in Qobuz which is a wonderful streamer where much of the budget went into SQ as opposed to usability features.

I have found with Naim get the best NAC you can afford… the 252 and 552 are amazing DACs, and of the two I’d say the 252 is the most accommodating, but is also the most fussy on support. 252 really seemed to sound its best on top shelf Fraim with me.

I’ve ordered a NDX2, so my wonderful time with the 272 drawing to an end.

2 Likes

Enjoy, and I see you have the 252… should be wonderful.

2 Likes