Network Cables - what's the best?

I directly compared C Line to Vodka between Innuos Statement and NDX2 at a dealer. A very clear and worthwhile improvement and enough for me to purchase Vodka to connect Innuos Statement to ND555.

3 Likes

I second @jmtennapel on the Blue Jeans Cables. Compared them to AudioQuest Vodka and Atlas Hyper Streaming Ethernet and decided that I liked the Blue Jeans cables better in my system. Also the price was much better to digest then its alternatives.

Tomshardware website has been doing some articles about audiophile network gear and has just done a review of an audiophile SSD. He is sceptical of the benefits I would say.

I upgraded my whole network from the Modem/router with Supra Cat8 (some with telegartner)
Significantly better than the previous 5e & 6 cables
Apple TV picture also improved

I know there was such a thread, but I never bothered to look at it. And I guess there are quite a few others here who just ignore such long tedious cable threads that usually get removed by Richard eventually.

I know I am being a bit provocative, but it’s what I think all the same.

My goal was to say that perhaps this thread is not useful, as all was already said. For now it began well, but it’s generally quickly become stressful. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

I use Blue Jeans ethernet cables for everything, including my audio system, and my home workstation/LAN for software engineering.

1 Like

Here’s a point (which may have been aired on the forum before) that hopefully is not seen as being so adversarial……

There is a school of thought that if network cables sound different from each other it is because of electrical interference (EMI, RFI) that the cable influences, either allowing or preventing it from entering the device in which it may couple with analogue electronics where it can affect the sound.
Such interference can come from a huge range of different sources, within your home or outside it. They can be transmitted through wires, or they can be airborne. So it is infinitely variable, and every location will be unique in this respect. It may also change over time as sources of interference start and stop.

If any of the above is true (and you can decide that for yourself, I’m no expert) I suggest that the effect of any particular cable might be entirely different depending on the environment in which it is used. So even after the almost impossible task of ruling out subconscious biases, the price or reputation of any particular cable is perhaps a poor indication of its usefulness to you.

8 Likes

Can’t believe we are here again.

It’s like Eurovision.

2 Likes

Then you should turn it off.

1 Like

Yup. I had a moment where i went back to the Vodka and even the boring Blue Jeans - in the end the MeiCords showed them all a clean pair of heels. My work is now done.

1 Like

Yup, me too found Meicord do the job as good if not better.

1 Like

You guys … jeez. I was already set on Catsnake and now I’m going to have to consider Meicord.
I’m beginning to dislike this forum.

1 Like

What i like about the MeiCord(s) is their breadth of a soundstage, ‘inky black’ backgrounds, cheeky timing and a sweet tonality - altogether that adds up to a vey enjoyable experience. Of course others may like a different presentation. Horses for courses. Not one size shoe fits all.

1 Like

Let’s not forget the oldie but goody, “if it complies with a ratified standard”.

I’ve never heard the Meicords and they’re difficult to get hold of now, though a new version is supposed to be coming out.

Recently I added a Uniti Atom HE, which sounds better wired than wireless in my system. Initially, I only had an old BJC Cat6a, but was missing some bass and texture. Ordered another braided Belden Catsnake 6a from DesignaCable and all the goodness was there….

2 Likes

Logically this should be the only explanation of any difference in sound. Interference being introduced into the circuitry.

Because if it had anything to do with the data stream computers the whole world over should not be working. If a cable cannot transmit a bit signal to the degree that an audio file can be played without changes then pulling any data from the internet without using “Cable X” should be constantly failing.

So at most we have all bits arriving at the decide in all cases while cable shielding may effect if any noise is being introduced into the device circuitry.

5 Likes

Science still doesn’t understand everything that goes on in cables. Let alone relatively small (or tiny) cable manufacturers for audio. Yet in threads like this, there is no shortage in definitive statements about how things work or not, what’s possible or not, makes sense or not etc. etc. Fascinating… :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

But let’s not ignore the bit that is understood, even if (you believe) it’s not all there is. Avoid any cable that hasn’t been tested to its claimed standard. BlueJeans & fs com I know test their cables, probably a few others out there as well.

If it’s being sold for a ton of money, and they don’t even bother to have them tested to their basic Ethernet standard, that would make me suspicious.

Yup it is called discussing the topic. Otherwise the forum would have been a very quiet empty place.

2 Likes