Network problems

Turning of wifi services from the ISP provided router does not help anything, your router still works as a DHCP server, not as a modem as intended, you then have 2 DHCP servers if you use a different router. So the other one has to be a bridge.

I think this thread has quite nicely demonstrated that if you want to do anything other than use your ISP-provided modem/router out of the box, then you need to either read a book on networking or watch a few Youtube videos. Networking can get complex and unreliable really quickly if you tinker without knowing a few basics.

It’s a valid point, you do need a high level understanding of the basic component features. In my case, I’m a solutions architect for a company that provides equipment, including that which goes in to end users homes, for the sort of Internet Service Providers often discussed on threads like this.
The company I work for supplies a significant amount of the equipment in Virgin Media’s network in the UK as one example, including their Residential Gateways and Set Top Boxes.
A little research up front is adviseable, stick to products and configurations that others have been happy with, keeping the setup simple is usually a good start, you can always increase the complexity over time based on confidence and needs.
Where I do offer help and guidance here, I aim to make it simple to understand and importantly based on personal and professional experience.

2 Likes

I had already covered that in an earlier post.

I’m in the US I have none of these issues. I use a Motorola docis 3 modem and a Asus RT AX88u router. Anything important NAS, Auralic streamer, iMac, Muso, are set with Static IP addressed. Everything else are DHCP. I have no Wi-Fi issues and no LAN problems. And of course I don’t use any of the so-so ISP Equipment

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.