Never knowingly undersold no more

I only ever asked them to price match one thing (a UE Boom 2) and, after checking the competitor’s website, they knocked 25% off without a second glance. And I even preferred the colour.

We’ve had a JLP card for two decades and use it as our default payment method to maximise the vouchers. Noticed a big drop in the value of vouchers on the latest mailing, even though our spending had been, if anything, more than usual. I suspect we won’t see anything that generous again.

Reasons for dropping the Never Knowingly…, reducing voucher rewards etc. are doubtless fundamentally the same as Naim reducing its product list, fuel prices rocketing etc., and I’m surprised that anyone’s in need of an explanation. The developed world’s ended up in quite a sticky political and economic situation at the moment, for a number of reasons, and the UK’s being hit quite hard by it. You may have heard about it on the news :wink:

I have purchased many high price items over the years from John Lewis. My recent purchase of an iPhone 12 Mini from them will be my last. The complaint is currently escalating but they have behaved appalling and are not even remotely apologetic about leaving me with a near £700 device which very obviously isn’t working properly. Their customer service responses ate something else. Multiple paras. on how valued you are; an absolutely consistent approach to not addressing any of the points you raise followed by a straw man para. just to really annoy you. The pattern is consistent and appears deliberate.

What’s the problem with it? I’d be tempted to get Apple themselves to sort it out if there’s a fault. Easier if you have an Apple store not too far away.

Don’t want to drift OT but to answer your question… On purchase one expects the battery to have 30 to 50% charge; have 100% battery health and hold 100% charge whilst in Airplane Mode. It arrived with the charge in the red; showed 100% health but lost charge in Airplane Mode faster than the refurbed 1st gen SE it was replacing. The battery health is a bit of a red herring in as much as it’s a software reading and 100% doesn’t tell you anything about performance in use.

John Lewis ignored any attempt to discuss the fact the charge was in the red on receipt i.e. they didn’t want to admit it had been snuck away somewhere for 2 years since release and was in effect nothing like a new 12 Mini. Their line was a simplistic 100% battery health means it’s not the battery. They never moved from the line and had no suggestions as to what it was.

The Apple Store declined to even test because health said 100%. They did suggest a software issue e.g. a closed app which hadn’t actually closed and was stored in the backup from which I restored the new phone. I set the phone up a second time from new. This definitely improved in use performance but Airplane Mode still suggested an issue.

John Lewis won’t replace unless I can show a fault. Got it independently tested and they’ve identified the age of the battery (yes, 2 years old) and highlighted that allowing it to run down somewhere in a warehouse for 2 years has had a clear impact on in use performance even though health shows 100%. John Lewis line is “tough, you’re outside the time for an exchange so go away”.

Ouch, not good. Sorry to hear that.

1 Like

I was made redundant and took early retirement from a bank at the age of 52. I started working for the partnership to help tide me over and ended up staying there for 15 years. The benefits were so good that my wife wouldn’t let me leave until I had worked there long enough to qualify for them. A good employer and we always did our best to provide a good customer experience.

7 Likes

Well, I’ve received the invite to apply for the new card.

Has anyone tried it?

There are many people saying (see Trustpilot reviews) they’ve been loyal cardholders for years/decades, have good credit scores and good credit limits but have been declined or given a £250 credit limit.

The majority seem to be people who use the card to get the reward points and pay their bills in full every month - I pay in full monthly over 95% of the time unless I want to spread a large transaction over 2-3 months.

I assume that being turned down might affect my credit score and potentially needing to finance a car later this year I am reluctant to apply.

This really seems like an ‘own goal’ for JLP - I’m middle aged, have a reasonable income and frequently shop at their stores - seems New Day borrow money to lend to carholders so those of us who pay our bills in full each month may not fit the desired demographic.

Given my assumption of Waitrose/JL customer base this could really hit them if we walk away.

The vouchers are a nice incentive every few months to spend at their stores - without that I’m more than happy to shop around (I already do, but use the card most often at their stores).

We have just applied for a new card. It’s in Mrs HH’s name with muggins as second card holder. She had a £7,000 limit on the old card and now has a £7,000 limit on the new one. It was dead easy - in fact I did it as she was busy. You get quadruple points or something like that for the first three months, and the points accrue in exactly the same way as the old card. There seems to be a tendency for people to moan about everything but for us it worked like a dream. Nothing but a positive experience. It’s not turned up yet of course!!

1 Like

Thank you, yes, as with many things people often only comment negatively if they have a complaint/bad experience which can be far from typical. I think my concern stems from the potential need to borrow temporarily for a car in a few months, which may be more important than JLP points/vouchers.

It’s a shame that we have to re-apply at all, but I assume financial regulations to protect lenders/consumers require it as otherwise new lenders might take on bad debt.

The vouchers really do add up (never used any yet) and are quite pleasant to get in the post - I’ve been saving them up until I approach what may be needed for a new OLED TV.

As long as you don’t tick the ‘I expect my financial position to worsen’ option you’ll likely be accepted by NewDay with the same credit limit as the previous Partnership card. Tick that box though and you’ll be declined if my experience is anything to go by…

1 Like

New card now loaded onto Google Wallet - physical card not here yet. I’ll try to use the phone to pay for something later…

1 Like

Ok, the process went well, same credit limit as before. Would it have been higher if I’d suggested my finances might improve?

Must say the new website is extremely responsive compared to the old one.

I still think it’s a shame that some customers with good credit histories are being declined. Loss of potential credit availability might affect those declined even if they never use it let alone ‘max out’.

The credit scoring rules are peculiar - they seem to suggest using over 50% of individual card or total available credit is seen as a negative. If there are good 0% or low interest offers I’ve always utilised them if needed as it’s often simpler than other forms of borrowing with inherently more repayment flexibility. If borrowing 50% of a limit is bad then surely the limit is too high in the first place in terms of affordability?

Used phone to pay bar tab tonight via Google Wallet. Newday stepped up and settled the bill. :grinning:
Shame they’ll expect me to reimburse them later! :joy::joy:

1 Like

Don’t seem to have had that option yet.

Update - Managed to add it to Apple Wallet. No idea if it’ll work yet if the card technically hasn’t been activated.

Does being accepted for the new card automatically prevent new transaction on the old one.

It was flakey last night and they mention app issues on the phone helpline but I cannot log in with the old app - it sends a numeric code after a delay but refuses to accept it, saying I need to request an OTP which I had done. Same issue with the website in a browser. Bizarre.

I made a large transaction to my electricity company yesterday on the old card to bump up points to the nearest 500, and just wanted to check old card balance - I’ve made no transactions yet.

The PIN for my new account seems flakey too - in the new app I can’t view it as apparently the card is not activated, but when I go to activate it advises not to do so until the physical card arrives in the post.

I signed up and was accepted for new card yesterday and used my old card successfully today. I can also login to the old app. I have not yet signed up for new app yet though.

1 Like

Thanks for that, I only downloaded the new app after I couldn’t get access on the old one - simply to check yesterday’s transactions hadn’t been diverted to the new card which they hadn’t thankfully.

Just reading around a little last night regarding credit ratings etc it would seem that those not accepted could be worse off simply due to less overall credit available to them, even if unused, let alone any rejections on their credit files. It’s a shame that some people suggesting they have good ratings/payment history are being rejected for the new card.

Old app suddenly working again and have just made an online transaction with the old card, how odd!

I don’t think so. AFAIK the agreement with the old card issuer continues until 6pm on 31st October

1 Like

That was my understanding too, and while new purchases would cease to be possible after that you could continue to pay off any remaining balance over time and would not be expected to settle the account immediately which might put some customers at a disadvantage.