New app update

Hi. It is early days for me but it looks like my playlist problem might have resolved itself, probably after the System Automation was disabled. It might now be playing through a queue which I don’t use but which my previous attempts to play the list might have triggered. I will write again to Clare if I need more assistance but sending this so you don’t do more research.
For the record it was great that at least one of the Naim techos responded to me even overnight or weekend. good service. Thanks.

Hi Clare. My problems with the playlists are still happening. The Naim app freezes when I tap on ‘Play from this Track”. I’ve noticed that when I change a track from Random so that it just plays the next track in order ( from Play this Track) it doesn’t seem to freeze although it does freeze on the tracks I’ve added recently. I don’t want to do a factory reset as I will lose my playlists. I’ve noticed other contributors to the Naim chat room have also had the same problem after the latest Update. Any thoughts?

I am catching up with the Naim R&D team this morning, so will report back.

1 Like

Hi Clare. I haven’t heard from you after your meeting with your R & D dept. Any news?

We’ve got both an App update and firmware update in beta test right now - as soon as they’re available, i’ll let you know.

Will do. Thanks for the suggestion.

Clare. My system offered an update this morning which I accepted. My system is now updated for Firmware 3.7.1 (5275). It hasn’t fixed my playlist problem. I wondered whether your technical department thought that it would?
To summarise my playlist problem. For a number of the tracks on my playlist, especially the many I have added recently, the system displays shows them and for most, it will play them if I tap ‘play this track’ but if I tap 'play from this track" it shows the track but doesn’t play them. Nothing happens. All tracks show that the ‘Random’ play option is showing.

I have this issue and have been told by Russell in support that this affects playlist tracks beyond 250, that the ‘usual’ playlist limitation is 500 tracks and that normal ‘play from’ behaviour should be restored for playlists up to this length ‘soon’.

Have also asked for ‘mixed’ playlists to be achievable. Currently, you can make a playlist from Tidal or Qobuz or local storage but you cannot have a playlist which mixes tracks from these sources, even though you can make a play queue (by using the ‘play next’ or ‘play last’ function) with tracks from mixed sources (you cannot save this mixed play queue as a playlist)…

Yes, there’s a lot going on for future releases.

I will go back to the fact, however, that 250 tracks at average of 4 minutes each is 1000 minutes - almost 17 hours - of music.
Plenty to listen to while we fix this!

Thanks, Clare, good to know that these are being addressed.

I would suggest an alternative perspective for long playlists, however: one of the greatest pleasures with streaming audio is shuffled play from a curated playlist. The intention is not to sit down and listen to 17 hours of music but rather to sit down for an hour or two and know that your curated playlist - which you are adding to regularly - is long enough that tracks which you haven’t heard in a while will be thrown up by the shuffle function. In this context, up to a reasonable limit, the more tracks the better. This is my perspective and I suspect that it isn’t unique.

4 Likes

Understood, though many would use Roon for this.

Yes but Roon - to some ears - doesn’t sound as good. And it is an extra expense. The functionality being requested here of the Naim app is not extravagant or unreasonable. (This is not intended to be a particularly critical perspective but it is intended to be reasonably objective one).

2 Likes

Clare. Billyrubins input has been very helpful,especially his last posting on the joy of listening to your own random,curated playlists. You never replied to my message asking if your technical people consider they can fix this problem with a future Update? That would be helpful to know as I don’t want to have to make unneccessary major changes to my playlists.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.