New CD Player?

CD drives are pretty cheap. I found iTunes/Apple Music the best way to rip copy protected discs. I tried a few different rippers which all had varying degrees of success, but the Apple ripper never failed.

2 Likes

I would say that the ND is just marginally better. Although better isnā€™t quite the right word. The ND quieter than the CDP but then it doesnā€™t run any moving parts. Maybe different is the right word? I know when the NDS was around I compared one to my CDP and didnā€™t think it was as good. It truly is a phenomenal piece of equipment. If you get the chance I urge you to listen to one.

3 Likes

Now that you have said that, I will have to.

1 Like

Thank you, Ian, but streaming and I will never be happy bedfellows. Apart from anything else, I like to be able to look at the LP or CD that I am about to play, read the liner notes, etc.

7 Likes

+1 on this, I have always been a ā€˜noā€™ streaming is not for me person but I am finding a bit of use for streaming, great as background music whilst Iā€™m working in the office, on long car journeys, useful at family gatherings - BBQā€™s, Parties etc.

So not the top spot on my source list but slowly gaining a bit of momentum, it could kick CDā€™s out of position 2 on my source list given a bit more investigation into what is achievable.

AFAIK itā€™s been OK from 1.6.2014 as long as itā€™s personal use onlyā€¦

Streaming is great for the car, listening on the iPhone while walking and researching different music. For background music, I like CDs, and my number one choice is vinyl.

3 Likes

Not surprising with NAIA!

3 Likes

Much if not all info on albums / tracks are available on Tidal, and I assume Qobuz. Also lyrics to many popular tracks are synced to the music when using Tidal Connect. So itā€™s kind of getting there.

Hi Graham

Thatā€™s actually what i am suggesting, using the streamerā€™s dac , and the CD transport still gives you physical possession of the material .
The internet radio is as easy to use s the radio from your Sat Dish but sounds better

1 Like

Or just Rip your CDs and then stream them locally?

That legislation was overruled by the high court, so copying remains technically illegal.

2 Likes

Yes, it is something that is very much in consideration, I have done this using i-Tunes and a tiny (in physical size) USB drive to use in the car and played on shuffle makes for an amusing accompaniment on journeys when Christmas tracks appear on Valentines day.

Iā€™m not an expert on what quality the music is on this USB stick but it sounds just fine on the car audio system.

I can see me ripping my CD collection onto a drive of some description in the best format possible to play on a network media player in the not too distant future, how exactly I do this I am unsure but that is research for another day.

I have gone from a not interested in streaming to hmm thatā€™s an interesting format in a very short space of time, I am still learning about the whole aspect of streaming, network players and just what they can do. On my radar is something along the lines of a SN3 + NDX 2 or a NSC 222 and NAP250 or maybe a one box set-up along the lines of a Linn Selekt but I wonā€™t have funds until much later this year so now is the time to research and get some auditioning done.

Hopefully this link is ok, covers what you say and provides a few links to the detail.

https://www.copyrightuser.org/understand/private-copying/#:~:text=With%20the%20expression%20ā€™private%20use,is%20accessible%20only%20by%20you.

How silly.

I have an Isis SS, I bought it just before Christmas, a New Old Stock deal.
I tend to play mostly CD now, still play records, but Iā€™ve become obsessed with hoovering up bargain CDs.

If you can demo one, have a listen and decide for yourself.

Be aware that it wonā€™t make a bad recording sound good, U2 War is still terrible.

3 Likes

Great reply @PAlker555, bringing us nicely back to the Isis. Also itā€™s interesting to find someone with an all Rega top flight system. Tell us more about it all. Did you have other makes before. Why did you go all Rega?

1 Like

I can (indeed, have) run an even older Meridian 200 into my nDAC-XPS. That sounds pretty d@mn good as well!

I think that when the CDX goes belly up, then a CD transport of some sort into the nDAC will be the way to go, rather than a ā€œproperā€ CD player.

To that end, itā€™s a shame that Naim dropped the 5XS, in favour of the 5si, which looks to be a bit of a retrograde step.

2 Likes

Hi,

I live near Westcliff-on-Sea, (for the second time in my life).
The first time was nearly 40 years ago, after learning from a few mistakes I ended up with a Rega Planar 3, Audiolab, and Celestian SL6. Life was good.
One day walking past Rayleigh HiFi I saw a LP12 on the used stock shelf and realised life could be better.
Over the next few years I had some friends who off loaded their kit on me, so add to it an Ittok, K18, 42 / 110 and a CDI piped through a pair of mk2 Kans. Life was once again good, and I had the classic Linn-Naim-Linn.

Then, lets call them life changing moments, the Tammy Wynette style.
It all gets sold. Managed to keep my cds, not a clue what happened to the records.

Roll forward and Iā€™m back in England and living in Greenwich, where there is a little used record shop, I started thinking ā€¦ and I still had my CDs.

I was torn between the Rega or LP12 route, and eventually thought Iā€™d keep things simple, and less expensive - haha.
I went down the Rega route, I picked up some local deals from ebay, Rega RP3, Brio, Roksan cd player and some Tannoys. Wasnā€™t quite there, and the RP3 became a 6, and life was better.
Records sounded good, CDs were meh and I never listened to them.

Then I ended up back in Westcliff and decided it was probably time for a service, so whilst I was in Rayleigh hifi I asked them for a MC cart upgrade. Oh dear. Chalk and cheese. GAS.

This time I decided if I upgrade then I will wait and go as best as I can in one step.
So I once again opened the LP12 Naim pandora box, I listened to my friendā€™s kit, listened in the shop, but I liked the Rega and decided to stay in the family.

Once the P10 was released and a few RP10 came onto the market, I changed the turntable.
The tannoys went and I got PMC 21.24, next on the shopping was the CD and Amp. I save some cash, buy records, replacing the back catalogue and buying new music too, and waiting. I hear a demo of Naim and Fact 12s and decided the 21.24 were also needing to be changed.

Eventually I find them, and in the usual style, they all arrive at the same time. So at the end of last year, I added Isis, Osiris and Fact 8 sig.
Isis was a New Old stock, the other two were ebay, local sales.

Life is once again good. I just need another couple of years and then retirement, and the justification of the investment into entertaining my idleness will be satisfied.

Now Iā€™m done buying the hardware, the good thing with Rega, no option to keep adding more boxes. Iā€™m now searching for the software, and even one of my daughters is hooked into the charity shop CD treasure hunt at the weekends.

I use an ipad to try music, but Iā€™ve zero interest in proper steaming, I like the search for little treasures, and the slow development of a collection, it was the little shop in Greenwich that sparked the flame and it is with that mentality that Iā€™ll stay.

17 Likes

I started my first system at 18 with Rega Plana 3. Great to hear about your system journey. Thank you!

3 Likes