New CD Player?

Would the Rega Isis Valve CD Player be a good match for my 282/250DR?

Well it’s black so that’s a start :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Haha, although it has a red light, rather than a green.

3 Likes

It’s meant to be really good and Rega keeps 2 additional laser mechanisms at factory in case of failure. Should be good but it’s very pricey.

8 Likes

The Isis does have some good reviews and the future support is great due to the extra mechanisms Rega have in storage. I have not personally heard this player but I would guess the valve version would have a smoother sound to the other version. I understand that the valve model sells less than its sibling, I suspect the need to change these at some point puts some off, the price of the Isis does put some off and sells are therefore not huge.

3 Likes

It’s a niche product hence selling in low numbers. Looks very well built and I believe if you are prepared to spend the money will be excellent.

If CD is going to be your main source and you will play it alot I think it could be a good buy. There’s nothing wrong with spending north of £8000 on a source if you want it.

5 Likes

If I had the resources this would be on my short list. Very compatible with Naim amps and Rega supports their products.

2 Likes

I would love to hear one, interesting to hear what you think if you have a demo.

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

Be careful not to assume the Isis Valve is better than the Isis SS , it is just different and system and personal preference related.

Having compared the valve version with my ss version i came to the conclusion they were very similar tonally and in dynamics and openness. You couldn’t say there was a ‘valve’ sound.

Where the difference lies is with the sound presentation. Broadly speaking with the valve Isis it was like listening from the middle of a theatre. With the ss Isis its like being on the front row. I stuck with my ss Isis.

11 Likes

I’ll let you know.

1 Like

I’ve had the Isis ss, its a lovely player - never heard the valve edition.
It replaced my Naim CD players due to the door stop scenario with these.

Isis is bullet proof build and supported, but expensive.
Personally I wouldn’t bother with the valve edition, the ss is fit and forget, valves need to be replaced at some point.

5 Likes

Anyone compared Isis with CD555??

How often do they need to be changed?

Based on my own experience with Rega electronics I would say that it is worth exploring - at the very least.

Rega still do CD players of the seriously priced and quality variety , Naim don’t .

4 Likes

Depends on the design and the valves used I think. Not sure about the rega, some valve gear state figures in the 1000s of hours. My Dac has valves in the output stage and estimate a 10-20 year lifespan!

1 Like

The American reviewer, Jeff Dorgay, compared the Isis to his personally owned cd555 (and a top Wadia). If you type in Rega Isis review and Jeff Dorgay you can see the review which I guess was done around 2010.

1 Like

For your information Jason Kennedy reviews the valve Isis but also compares it to the ss version. He outlines their respective merits.

Thank you. I have read his review and found it encouraging. What Hifi found is not a great match with non-Rega amplification. Rega Isis review | What Hi-Fi?.

Well Paul Messenger found it was a great combination with his Naim 500 amps. Review on TechRadar.

2 Likes

Yes, I noticed that. We all hear things differently, of course.