New EU Standard For USB Type-C

YouTube videos from people who report leaks etc on soon to be released Apple hardware have been reporting insiders saying that iPhone 14 will still have a lightning socket for a month or so now.

Iā€™m not surprised Apple complained they make so much money out changing cables, they also use to make it difficult to use a 3rd party cable.

My first cable I bought for an iPod around 2000 cost me $35 for 50cm, theyā€™ve been ripping off people for years.

3 Likes

If Apple can get away with it, my guess is that they will just bundle a USB to Lightning adapter with their phones in EU countries. They will not take kindly to being dictated to by a bunch of famously intransigent legislators.

Itā€™s my understanding that Apple have already started the move to USB-C, they have it on some of the latest iPads.

They already had it on my last iPad Pro which was about 2018 as well as on my current one.

1 Like

I dont think Apple likes to run USB-C only a few years so they are probably working hard at closing wireless charging (and fast wireless transfer protocols) right now. I had the 2015 MacBook with only USB-C and the last years the charging connections was very unreliable. All of them. Thunderbolt was fine though - but the cables sensitive.

Apple have started shipping some products sans cable/charger. Yes itā€™s in part a way to increase profits but it also helps stop the needless proliferation of redundant chargers.

A good thing about USB-C is, that the connections across it (USB 3/4, Thunderbolt 3/4, USB-PD Power Delivery) are all actively being developed.
So far they can get more features out of the same connector. (Sometimes with improved cables, e.g. everything for higher power/voltage uses electronically ā€žmarkedā€œ cables to protect against burning cables and such.)
For example, the standard to expand to up to 240W power is on itā€™s way. (E.g. for powerful (gaming) laptops, which use more than 100W and currently come with proprietary chargers.)

The downside is, that just because a USB-C to USB-C cable fits both ends, you may end up with missing functionality.
Slow charging, very slow (or no) data connections or display connections.
But thereā€™s always something. :wink: Good labeling could resolve much of this, but many companies wonā€™t play ball here, most likely.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.