New Firmware update v. 3.6.0

@HiFiman unwanted sound change for some though…

Scary.

1 Like

Of course they are.

But, all those claims (including mine), have to be put into context.

Whatever the system is, when a change occurs, I mean a real one, it is always a surprise.

By change I mean something obvious, not the kind that suddenly appears when
searching for it :wink:

So, when bass drums become clean and sharp when they were a bit blurry previously, when faint details in the background are enlightened, when stereo image gets deeper on some well known recordings, etc. that’s the kind of change that I would qualify as obvious.

So when describing those surprising changes we use some hyperbole I can well understand it can be perceived as an exaggeration… from a certain point of view.

It’s all about context, and certainly is system dependant.

1 Like

I’ve been listening to radio 3 on my second system (Quad FM4 tuner, Nova, Quad 606 Power amp and HH’s SL2s) and it sounds great to me.

I hate the sound of loudness controls and I’m not hearing that at all with this update.

Best

David

The question here is, were you thinking before “hmm these bass drums sound kind of muddy” or “i can’t hear those details in the background very well”? Because if that would be the case, then a new firmware noticeably improving those areas would be a clear indication that something has changed.

If the realisation is more sudden however; “hey those bass drums sound pretty clean and sharp”, then it doesn’t tell nearly as much. It could be you focusing on a specific aspect of the music that you weren’t paying active attention to earlier. Perhaps a specific album that triggers you to notice, or playing something just a tad louder than a day before.

Just the action of installing new firmware can be a psychological trigger to start paying a lot more attention to these things for a while. While the last few days before the update you were perhaps more casually listening to the (same) music.

If it’s a sudden realisation there may be too many variables involved to be certain that it is primarily caused by the firmware. It’s really difficult after all to be certain how something sounded yesterday, when you are now listening to it in a different state of mind.

1 Like

Don’t be. The 3.6 is fine :smile:

There are a lot of brilliant changes that you’ll enjoy, I have no doubt. Symphonic music and concertos in particular.

I did mention many positive things about the update and believe I didn’t highlight this imbalance too much.

Apparently, others don’t feel that way. And some others perceive nothing.

I wouldn’t bother too much.

Perhaps I shouldn’t have mentioned it.

Do you perceive a difference?

I haven’t updated yet :blush:

Right… I hardly understand your point then :wink:

My point was more in general… there are many reports about firmware changing sound, some report big changes, some small, some are contradicting with others.

It’s difficult to determine whether these reports are actually describing the firmware itself or other circumstantial or environmental changes, because of all the factors mentioned. And because of that it could be debated if they are useful at all, or if they could potentially also be harmful / detrimental.

Sure they are nice anecdotes, but apart from that? I could write a completely fictional assessment of the 3.6 sound here and no one would notice, because it’s all completely subjective and unsubstantiable after all.

2 Likes

Hi Biasmotiv,
Why not first do the update and listen. Then see if you discern differences.

1 Like

I still stand by my post about this update. I really like it. I am sorry to hear about my forum “buddies” problems.

For some reason today, none other than I could I did the ‘Cup of Tea’ upgrade and powered off my system just to see…again for reasons people better qualified than me this provided more of what I really like about 3.6. I have no ideas why this would be, my mood, mains quality who knows. I do subscribe to our mood, time of day, mains quality tiredness…leaves on the rail way line etc!! Does effect how we perceive our musical enjoyment. I sit here with a full fat 500 system and Kudos 808’s and if I’m tired and not in the mood i can easily find fault in what I’m hearing. I therefore just go and do something else…mainly sleep.

We are all individuals and by our very nature we therefore experience life in so many different ways, musical/our audio systems just add to the confusion!! I would like to add I am in no way attacking people’s experiences. It’s a journey for sure.

2 Likes

Sad to say have given the update a lot of time to “bed in” if that’s what’s needed, and still not happy with it on my ND5 xs2. Some of the sparkle has definitely been lost akin to being put behind a net curtain so to speak. I feel I need to use another DAC.:confused:
The last firmware on my player and my system was great. Anyone else noticing changes on their ND5xs2?

1 Like

If you read the thread you will see lots of comment about SQ changes. I think most of it positive, but some negative. If I were unhappy like you, I would do a factory reset…
Best

David

1 Like

Indeed.

But remember, everyone has a different system : electronics, speakers and room.
And everyone has its own taste and expectations regarding music.
So everyone perceive things differently.

That’s all.

2 Likes

Hi Thomas,

+1 exactly what I was trying to say…you said it far better than I did!!!

2 Likes

Was listening to an album on Tidal and had the track list on the iPad. I switch to another app and come back.

This is the screen I got. WTF?

Why oh why? Why can’t it go back to what I was viewing last?

My first listen to the new upgrade after deciding to keep running the beta version for awhile. Can’t say I hear a major change in SQ, tbh if always thought the Atom sounded good.

Now I understand why I keep on listening to ‘A moon shaped pool’ album in loop since 3.6 ! and I’m not joking

Yes, me too. This is surely a significant, and by definition unquantifiable, factor in determining differences attributable to firmware or for that matter hardware changes.

For me, the new Firmware has plainly and palpably altered something of the sound I’m used to, and it’s for the better.

1 Like