New Firmware update v. 3.6.0

Thats interesting as I found the same with the 250DR on the Nova. Also an Improvement in SQ with the firmware upgrade…

3 Likes

This seems like a bug to me. When in the Tidal section of the Naim app, the search field disappears on occasion within “my albums”.

Not at the start:

But after scrolling within that list and going back up, it disappears and you can only get it back by exiting the Tidal function and going back in:

Hi there,
Yes, its is a bug we’re looking at shortly. Won’t be fixed in the next release I’m afraid but should be fixed after that.

3 Likes

Good album

2 Likes

Surprised? :sunglasses:

1 Like

I just update to the new Firmware, and i for me there is three things that have changed :

• The output is less powerful and I need to go further to get the same volume debit.

• Recessed medium that make the Nova less suitable for vocal jazz and lyrical music. I don’t know what happens with the high but I get, for the first time, headache while listening to the Nova : the stings are now very strident and metallic.

• I can’t explain it but the rythme seems slower, less percutant and joyful. Lot of things I loved in the Nova are gone.

I regret the changement in SQ introduced by this new firmware.

Am I the only one ?

1 Like

Have you performed a reset?

I don’t think you are but you/we maybe in a minority. I had just got my Star into a good place (a few tweaks seemed to have pushed into something special) but the firmware update seemed to immediately bring it back to a flatter, less involving place (all resets etc performed). I was surprised ( and a little disappointed) that firmware updates can affect the sound and it has been quite hard to sit by listening to all enthusiastic reports about the ‘positive’ firmware SQ changes. I’m on my second Star and am still slightly ambivalent about my Naim experience. There’s obviously an issue about my subjective experience but I’ve also had about half a dozen random reboots since the update as well, when I’d never had any before that (?). I think someone mentioned that’s the firmware changes hadn’t been so good for the Atom, Star and Nova…?

2 Likes

Since the last update to 3.6.0? Did you contact support@naimaudio.com?

No, I haven’t.

Ps. Now I have, but no change.

I’ve just gone back to my old emails and found I did have some reboots last year (using HDMI) and had to power down to reset the unit (but they eventually disappeared). I reported that but only got the auto reply email. I’m not sure that I think anything can be done for individual machines with reboot issues (after reading all the posts about this last year) so I try not to bother the presumably very busy Naim team.

Well they can only fix issues they know about. Surely they are busy, but they also want to get this fixed. The 3.6.0 release was supposed to fix at least the very large majority of these reboots, so if you have started or continue to experience them, then this needs to be addressed, but it can’t be when they don’t know and have no chance to ask questions.

If the support system only sent you the ticket number the last time, something went wrong. I would advise to open a new case and post here if they don’t get back to you within reasonable time (all things considered).

Thanks for your reply. After last year’s extended issue around reboot problems for so many people I’m rather coming to the opinion that they are something you have to live with. My post supporting Lutece was because of the change in SQ he was experiencing which is also my ultimate concern. If the reboots become more regular I will report them.

1 Like

Up to you, but with a quality product like Naim you should not have to live with this, and they are working hard on getting this sorted - it already should be, but apparently there are still instances.

Is it possible to downgrade the firmware to the antepenultimate one ?

It looks like the added some “V shape” tuning or something like that; at least it’s the only explication I can found for the unbalanced restitution that makes the Nova kind of pointless for Vocal Jazz, lyrical music and classical music. Very disappointing.
They could at least communicate about the evolution of the SQ and letting everyone judge the pertinence of updating to the last firmware regarding the kind of music they listen.

If rest factory takes the Nova to the initial firmware, it’s not a viable solution.

It doesn’t revert to the original firmware. It uses the latest firmware installed but resets all the settings, including any not available to the user, back to factory settings.

Best

David

1 Like

Thank you David. I’ll try that.

Firmware 3.6.1 out today fixes everything.

3 Likes