New firmware update

Thank you so much for your help , I’ve just checked and server mode is off , but the change I’ve mentioned still prevails. Many thanks Hollow

Nigel you only need to tick server mode if you ant to use the ND555 as a server for other Naim streamers. I have never heard that there is a SQ benefit of having it ticked if you don’t need the server function.

Best

David

1 Like

Cheers David.

As there is no user manual, I have done some research on t’internet and now fully understand the Server Mode operation. Weird that ticking and unticking seems to fix the odd FW download issue.

Life would be so much simpler with a decent suite of user manuals for newest ND- systems.

If you enable server mode, it prevents the main PSU from shutting down and letting the standby SMPS take over. So I can see that allowing the power supply to remain warmed up might be beneficial.

Interesting point Chris. Do you leave Server Mode enabled on your NDX2?

We all know that Naim gear takes time to warm up and come on song when turning on and I would assume this also applies, possibly to a lesser degree, when a main PSU takes over from a standby supply.

I wonder if anyone else on here leaves Server Mode enabled for this reason.

Mine was left enabled through sheer ignorance, unless my memory is playing tricks on me.

I bought a hand held hozelock sprayer the other day that you pump to pressurise, inside was a 10 page multi language instruction booklet…but not even a pdf for your nd555.

4 Likes

Yes, but those hand held hozelock sprayers can be tricky blighters to operate. Once I almost squirted the wife in the eye with one.

Thank goodness for the manual!

Sorry to the OP. How on earth did we get from firmware updates to hand held hozelock sprayers? I blame @Gazza.

Runs for cover!

4 Likes

I already started experiencing this on 3.4 strangely enough.

1 Like

Hi Nigel, when the standby SMPS runs, the main PSU is completely turned off, so I would say that if server mode is disabled, that’s effectively the same as turning off completely. The SMPS provides less than 2W to comply with EU energy efficiency regs, which is not nearly enough even to power the USB ports, never mind the streaming board and DAC etc.
To be honest, I haven’t tested my NDX2 or Atom with/without server mode in any meaningful way, although I can’t say I’ve noticed any significant differences either way. Using an offboard DAC with the NDX2 would, I suspect, reduce any potential benefits, but I might give it a try anyway.

1 Like

Mike, from what I understand the presets are focussed on local and cloud streaming service content. However, if users are also interested in presetting networked content on Naim products, then Naim say they’ll look in to its feasibility for a future release.

2 Likes

Don’t worry. It took analogue replay 80 to 100 years to get where it is today.

Another 50 years or so & digital will be there.

Trouble is, you & I won’t…

1 Like

That’s brightened up my afternoon!

3 Likes

Me too, life is too short anyway, and just had to turn the kit off due to a thunderstorm…a wait till it comes back in song.

Ah, ah… Not really, I havn’t any tree-structure on the screen via the remote>home>favourites route, only preset radio stations appear there; and, yes, I need to have any playlist, album or track as preset to view it both in the App presets home screen and in the NDX2 favourites screen (accesible through both the remote>home>favourites route and the remote>favourites directly).

So I’m sticking with a span of noses; not only is the preset function not working, but the favorites view doesn’t work properly either, :rage: :rage: :rage:

Thanks for the info in any case, @Mike_S.

I do not know if @davidhendon could clarify anything else, or mediate to solve the situation, if possible, because, for the moment, nor that from Naim’s support service they are looking too much…

1 Like

Ok, I am going to log a ticket with Naim support for v3.5. Hopefully they can confirm.

That would be very nice, always and when it worked properly, of course…

Followed supports advice to power it off and wait a while. Unit did not come back fully after this. It all came back up , network seemed to take ages, but power button was flashing all the time and the unit was unresponsive to remote or app. Powered it off again and this time it’s come up. I am not happy I think this firmware has triggered some other fault in my unit. I have asked support to arrange this to get looked at.

I’m surprised nobody has raised concerns around the sonic changes with 3.5, I’m very disappointed, my system was sounding so much nicer previously. It’s all a bit brash and sharp with a drop off in the lower end, particularly noticeable with lower rez sources such as iradio, listening to radio paradise just now and it’s horrid. I feel a rewind to 3.4 request coming on if Naim will facilitate. I’ve tried the usual factory reset etc to no avail. A high price to pay for the somewhat unnecessary presets.

5 Likes

I thought that too. Hopefully it will settle down. I’m leaving it fully powered up for a couple of days to see if that makes a difference…

Interesting that you’re running an NDX 2 also