New firmware update

john, have you done a full reset (or two, or even three) of your NDX2? I see that most who have reported sound issues find it’s fixed with this. Otherwise, sound is mostly reported as slightly improved. If you still have sound issues after doing some resets then I would suggest contacting Naim tech support.

1 Like

I have powered off and on at the mains several times, but I will try a full factory reset and if that doesn’t work I will contact Naim, thanks @Richard.Dane.

@Richard.Dane, to be clear, does this apply to all streamers, and do you mean ‘factory reset’ - ie use the reset hole in the back for an ND5XS2?

AFAIK, it’s good practice and applies to all the streamers, Unitis etc… following an update.

I’m not certain about how to apply a full reset to an ND5xs2 (i don’t have one and have never used one) - hopefully somebody at the Naim factory can advise here, or perhaps an ND5xs2 owners reading this already knows - however, today I’ve asked Naim to provide details of how to apply a full reset to all devices, so everybody (including yours truly) is clear on what to do and how to do it.

2 Likes

under Support, then FAQ , see “Restoring ND5 XS 2 to Factory Settings”

Stick the SIM card tool in the hole in the back whilst it’s switched on. It says for at least ten seconds.
Tell us how you got on.

Yes, however, others require powering down and then removing the power lead, so I’m not sure whether that should also be done for the ND5xs2.

To these ears and also through headphones as well, it makes for absolutely no difference what so ever.

1 Like

Theres a new app available now. Its on IOS not sure about other platforms.
Maybe this will help with some of the problems.

My ND5XS2 didn’t come back cleanly from the update a few days ago. It appeared on the network and seemed functional, but the led was still flashing an hour later. It got power cycled at that point. It’s been fine fed from Roon since, although I’ve not explored any other functionality to determine if there are issues elsewhere. I think I’ll leave well enough alone for now - and see what’s needed when/if a new update gets rolled out…

Listening to the radio now on NDX2, 128kb stream and it’s stuttering away so not confined to tidal or Qobuz

1 Like

I have had stuttering once since update but cured with power cycle

I had stuttering and a random reboot on its own on the NDX2 last night with Tidal. I don’t want to do a factory reset in case it bricks the streamer.

BTW, Naim never replied to follow up my other issues with Firmware. Quite dissatisfied all round with the service, but the sound is great.

Does the app update address the random reboots mid-track or is there a problem with the Firmware, and if so, when will it be fixed?

Hi Richard. It’s good to read that you are liaising with Naim on this. It may be worth me pointing out that I’ve owned my 272 for five years. As a member of the beta group I’ve updated it countless times and never once reset it to factory settings, rebooted or anything like that. It just updates quite happily. People shouldn’t need to reboot, reset, give their streamers a hug or whatever; the update should just work. That’s what Naim’s objective should be, not to be issuing instructions on how to reset or how many times to do it. Naim streamers are not delicate flowers that need to misted, fed, protected from draughts etc. They are just electronic boxes. An update really shouldn’t be a faff.

16 Likes

Im ready to try a “factory reset” on my ND555 post update. The SQ is simply not enjoyable.
In the support document on line it says:
When turning on the ND555ʼs power supply, hold down the Play and Input selection buttons of the ND555, until the front panel display of the ND555 turns on, then release.
Warning: This will reset the music database and will delete all favourites and playlists. However it will not delete the music on your music stores.
Does this mean that all my favorite albums and artists from Qobuz will be deleted?

You’ll be interested to know, that at this point, I now wish I had bought the 272 over the NDX2. It has the benefit of just working. Regrettably, you get to a stage of starting to loose confidence with the product.

I know you are saying that with tongue firmly in cheek, but I feel your pain. If you spend £5,000 on a streamer and have all this hassle it’s no wonder people are pissed off. It’s simply not good enough. Naim need to sort it out, and sort it out fast. Updates should just work. They shouldn’t make things go wrong. They shouldn’t make the sound worse. Something is clearly lacking in the process that ensures updates will work properly when released. Obviously 100% effectiveness cannot be guaranteed but it certainly shouldn’t be like this. It would make me think twice at least should a new platform 272 appear.

2 Likes

Fully agree HH, I’ve posted this in the ‘Screen Freeze’ topic:

Don’t get me wrong … I don’t want to complain … I really support Naim and I will keep on doing this, but I also find it sort of embarrassing that 2 years after the introduction of the new streamers there are still these kind of issues …

I’m looking forward to the 272.2 however :wink:

I agree. I’m not complaining, merely observing, as it doesn’t directly affect me. It’s just rather embarrassing as you say. Potential customers read the Forum, as do competitors, and they see this…

1 Like