New firmware update

That’s why I’m treating (and analysing) the ripping errors as a separate bug (or two, possibly). We can’t a priori rule out that there’s some gradual resource starvation going on that interferes with the ripping results and will eventually cause a reboot, but without access to the source code or a proper test bed, that’s just conjecture. Heck, if it were open source, I’d cloned the repository by now, tried to locate the bugs myself and perhaps contributed a pull/merge request or two. :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

Hi @Naim.Marketing, how is the beta team doing with beta 3.6.0? Will we see the public firmware later this year? That would be a nice christmas present :evergreen_tree: Thank you for the feedback!

1 Like

To mangle a movie quote, the first rule of Beta Forum is don’t talk about Beta Forum :slight_smile:

But on a general level, things going very well - few more snags to iron out before a public release, though; we’d rather not release things just before the Christmas shutdown, either.

HOWEVER, Beta access is avaialble for anyone looking to try it out - email beta@naimaudio.com and get on the latest release…

5 Likes

I found that the best way to get answers, or indeed more questions is to join the beta club. You get a lot of insight not available here. And they actually like you moaning about the firmware releases to help them make it better.

4 Likes

Ok, I will think about it and perhaps I will give it a try. How stable are the beta releases? I’m just asking because my Nova is my main system located in the livining room. I also use it for cable TV and movies beside listening to music…

Beta releases are by their nature not guaranteed to be stable, although they are not deliberately made to be unstable!

Anyway the key point is that beta testers can revert to the release firmware at any time they choose and even if the Naim team are away or asleep, there are always numerous other beta testers who can help sort things out if someone gets stuck.

Best

David

4 Likes

Had similar questions before I joined. Been a few months now and quite a few beta releases and I have not had any issues on my Star that stopped me from enjoying it.

In fact, speaking for my own experience, I have enjoyed it more than I did before the Beta program :+1:

2 Likes

I can second that my Atom hasn’t had any problems, so hopefully help isn’t far away. Sorry if that’s talking out of school.

A reminder to Beta members that Beta discussion is for the Beta forum only, not the public forums. Thanks.

To that end, R&D are currently good for New Uniti and Network Player beta members but still need more Mu-So 2 and Mu-So Qb2 testers. So if anyone is running a Mu-So2 or Mu-So Qb2 and wishes to take part in the Beta group, please email beta@naimaudio.com. Thanks.

1 Like

Like most IT shops, Christmas new year is near and there is moratorium to software releases as staff go on leave. Good decision. Merry Christmas and happy new year to everyone at Naim. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

IT shops?

1 Like

Software developers etc. Don’t release a new version before Christmas if you want to enjoy the holidays

4 Likes

Sorry @Martinzero for my choice of word. I don’t mean naim is an IT aka information technology company and I don’t mean it is a shop like a store that sells mouses and keyboards. It’s a term commonly used here and in the industry I am in. :joy:

Like an IT company given we are talking about freeze on the firmware code release until new year, this is a very reasonable decision to avoid potential issues that require resources that may be not be available over this seasonal holiday period.

1 Like

Let’s then hope that those resources will become available after the holiday season because the problems have been around for quite some time and little progress has been made so far, it seems to me.

I am sure they hope so too. :slight_smile: Have a very good Christmas, new year.

1 Like

Any news on update, Richard?

No news to share as yet. Beta testing continues. As soon as I have some news I will post here.

Thank you Richard

Perhaps Naim is more of an IT company then it thinks. At least a SW company. The Naim app is a good example. But also the SW on all streaming devices.

Wow still nothing. This must have been rooted in a serious software problem.