New firmware update

Are you a beta tester? I can understand why you might not want to be one. But if not give it a go.
You get to help and see where things are going. Otherwise you are left in the cold wondering whats going on.
But once on the inside…

Current and latest beta clears a lot of previous issues for me. Looking good.

I hope the guy who just posted asking about the reliability of the Nova before buying one…

You shouldn’t need to be a beta tester to have a hi-end streamer work when you want it to though, to be fair.

5 Likes

It shouldn’t be long before the latest Fw is released from Beta, so hang in there.

4 Likes

I get to help… are your serious!?! :astonished:

I’m sorry but Naim is no charity institution, neither is a free software group like OpenBSD or GNU Linux.

Naim is a company which goal is to make profits.

It sells products, and we buy them (or not).

Paying for their products, ok.

But, helping Naim debugging products I paid (a lot) for… seriously…

It’s like buying a Ferrari, having problems with the software controlling the engine and having Ferrari telling you should help them debugging the software embedded in the care you paid a fortune for… really!?!

10 Likes

I do get it. I used to whinge and moan about the firmware on my brand new ndx2. But being part of beta has allowed me access and influence. And, right now, it just works. No issues here.
Yes, you should not have to, but if that’s the best ( or leat worst ) option give it a go.

Are you paid, in a way or another, for you time and work?
If not, your paying twice for your Naim product.

3 Likes

Yes, but not by naim.
I see it as helping others.

1 Like

Well, the fact is you’re not only helping Naim debugging products you paid for, you are also helping debugging products Naim will make profits with.

Don’t take this the wrong way, your intentions are honourable.

A bit like buying MS Windows for your PC then.

4 Likes

Still no issues here with my NDX 2. How bizarre this all is. This new Firmware better not mess things up!

1 Like

The purpose of the beta group is to test proposed changes in real life situations. All the testing in the world at the factory cannot unearth the problems that might pop up in people’s own houses.

Clearly you like to have everything presented on a plate for you so that your world is perfect. There are those who try to help for the common good and there are those who sit there with a sense of entitlement expecting others to do everything for them.

While you may have a hugely expensive system, it’s no more important than a Muso Qb.

1 Like

I’m sorry Stephen, but you actually have the issues.

You simply haven’t done the sequence of “actions” that lead to an unhandled “exception”.

:joy:
Take a big breath…

… then read again my post.

What is it you don’t understand in “all streamers” ?

1 Like

You start with ‘I find it baffling that a device at that price point’ which, together with your other comments, suggests entitlement to me. But don’t worry, we will continue the beta testing. It’s truly dreadful to think of you suffering a reboot with all your lovely kit ‘at that price point’.

1 Like

This is probably true - but also serves to demonstrate that a large beta group is the best way of triggering and identifying circumstances where an exception can occur…

2 Likes

The nature of streamers is that they have to integrate into peoples home networks. I work in a company that develops hardware and software for industrial vehicles, an environment in which everything is controlled and self contained. Even then, we have to do an exhaustive amount of software and hardware testing to ensure quality standards and performance are met.

What Naim, and a vast number of other consumer companies are having to cope with in the new “connected world” is vastly more complex, as the number of variables (predominantly people’s home network setup) make the likelihood of replicating all possible circumstances completely impossible “in house” at Salisbury. Naim are not alone in having firmware issues, I am working with Garmin, a significantly larger and more resourced company to fix issues I am having with one of their watches.

I know how frustrating it can be to have a setup that is misbehaving, but really you need to do what you can to assist, rather than sit back and moan.

I am in the beta group, and the communication and response of the Nail team is excellent. But this is a simple numbers game, the more beta testers there are, the more scenarios and root causes can be diagnosed, so please, if you are having issues, join the beta group and contribute, rather than expecting impossible perfection.

Mark

News of this fiasco is starting to get more widespread amongst the dealer community unfortunately … but what is worse is that it will surely be delaying the mythical :unicorn: that is the 272 replacement. My dealer did not know which issue to be more vexed about … the fact that a product was made obsolete without a replacement being announced, or the inability to get a handle on software issues in a reasonable time.

Before people leap to Naim’s defence, or flame me… yes, I realise this post is not that helpful, and it is restating obvious points that have been made before but I like most people have a genuine affection for the brand, it is why we are here. This issue and the lack of a replacement for the 272 that so many of us have been waiting for is so frustrating for a brand we love.

Naim … telling us that a software fix is right around the corner week after week has to stop. Give people the ability to roll back to 3.4 for goodness sake, or explain properly why people can’t. And on the 272 replacement, stop the secrecy and share something that stops your customers heading over to chord and dcs in droves. We want to stay loyal…we really do … but stop treating us like muppets.

2 Likes

Me. I’m quite relaxed about the whole thing.

G

4 Likes

True, but the thing is, not being in the beta group means that you necessarily still have the same firmware version that is known to have this issue. So it’s no surprise that it is still exhibiting the issue occasionally. It should not have happened, but it did and that’s what we have. The good news is that the current beta seems to have fixed all (hopefully) causes for this, and it should not be taking much longer to release it, so the issues will soon be a thing of the past.

1 Like