New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

My dealer is still not sure when his Solstice will arrive. It’s closing in on mid July so has anyone heard anything more specific about a delivery at their dealers?

Signals posted that like everything it was delayed slightly?

2 Likes

And don’t forget Musical Fidelity, who used to sell most of their stuff as limited editions , limited to 500.
Very often not selling even half that number due to low demand!
My MF nu vista power amp was limited to 500. They sold less than 350. Partly due to demand and partly due to poor quality with the cases!

I’m sure this is not the case here though.

1 Like

It would be a bit daft at this point if the dealer demo units finally turn up only for us poor saps to be able to do nothing more than hear what we’ll never be able to buy :rofl: Assuming the sold out info is true we can reasonably expect that demand questions will have been answered and the next step for HQ is to decide future marketing options.

Sold out INTO retail, not necessarily OUT of retail - plenty of dealers will still have stock, I am sure

5 Likes

The 500 will be rolled out in phases over the next few months - as you’d expect for a handmade product involving multiple components, this is not a rush job!

1 Like

Ah. That’s good to hear. Looking forward to demo and who knows!!

If you can’t get hold of one there’s always this new deck at Aldi for only £49.99

And it plays at 78rpm!

10 Likes

:rofl:

I suspect that if you are prepared to wait a while you will be able to get hold of one though!

In years to come you will probably even be able to pick them up second hand. That’s the thing about this hobby there will always be people wanting to ‘upgrade’ to the next thing. There will probably be a thread on the forum from someone who is thinking about trading there Solstice Statement system for a Kuzma XL Air Vitus system. My guess is that in the end they will come to the correct conclusion and keep the Solstice Statement system!

And it has a dust cover!

3 Likes

I saw an ‘infomercial’ for that on my Yahoo tab. The way they were talking about it you’d think it was a Rega 3, with Audiolab amp and Wharfdale speakers.
An entire system for fifty quid. Hmmm.

My dealer talked with the Naim rep yesterday and was told this “Fall, August-September “

1 Like

I am also in the States. When I placed my order, and knowing where I slotted in (I will be second to last) with my dealer’s allotment, I was informed probably October - November.

…looks like it plays only small records!

Just guessing but a) they wanted to test the market and b) given the current component shortages a limited edition is a good idea.

And so my question is why make it a special edition? Why not just launch it as you would launch any other product? There seems to be enough demand for it. If it’s as good as you claim, surely it would still be special even if it was limited to a run of 500.

1 Like

I think we’ve covered this one already; it’s a special edition because it’s only available as a package (deck, arm, cartridge, power supply and phono stage) and the number is limited to 500 - the reason it’s limited in number is likely because it’s to see whether the turntable project has the “legs” to go further and warrant additional resource and further investment, and also I guess gives Clearaudio a clear (sorry) number to work with for their own procurement and production purposes.

I guess Naim could have called it a “limited edition”, but then realised that the Solstice is something really special, so…

8 Likes

You don’t get any information as admins? I mean, you are an important extended resource in terms of their marketing. It feels like you talk about Naim as “them” when it very much would benefit everyone talking about Naim as “we” :blush:

1 Like

But very fast

In view of its little platter, they should have packaged it with the This is Spinal Tap album and called it the Stonehenge edition!