New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

As a main Linn Lp12 dealer in UK, I understand that it’s complicate for Cymbiosis to write that the Solstice puts the Klimax Lp12 into shadow :laughing:

2 Likes

4 days……Yes indeed! I had a busy day on Saturday and went to the theatre in London on Sunday.

I needed to catch up with plenty of work in my garden on Monday but throughout I’ve been in touch with my Naim rep. The last conversation was at 4:45 this afternoon.
I hope for an update on the supply position tomorrow.

As I have said many times on here and elsewhere on social media. I’m keeping my views to myself other than to say they are both wonderful turntables and I’m happy to sell them both.

KR,

Peter

10 Likes

That’s a sturdy fence😉

5 Likes

Splinters! 🪵 :peach: :joy::joy:

3 Likes

That’s exactly correct. I basically had to rebuild my Clearaudio Innovation Compact which has the same speed regulation system. There is a central speed control board(with the trim pots), then a ribbon cable going to the speed selector board(has the sensors similar to a remote control’s buttons, with long acrylic cylinders acting as the speed selector buttons). This board is soldered directly to the motor. The other end of the speed control board has a ribbon cable going to the speed control optical sensor that reads the ring on the bottom of the platter. There is also a ribbon cable going to the dc input. So speed selection on the power supply is a non starter using this system. The on the fly optical speed fine tuning goes directly to the motor, from the speed control board, not the power supply. Also Clearaudio uses several levels of power supply, the fanciest using NIMH battery power.

1 Like

I prefer Clearaudio’s approach to it, compared to – say – Rega’s speed control on PSU. It just seems so much more flexible on choices. I don’t really want to spend $2-3K on Clearaudio’s battery-based regulated PSU, but I was able to replace the std wall-wart with a MCRU LPS for a lot less.

My only complaint is the speed adjustment pots use slotted screws on the back making it hard to adjust without turning the table around. If they had used small hex bolts instead – or even phillips – that would be perfect.

Don’t be so rectangular, man.

2 Likes

I was fortunate enough to be invited to a Christmas party one year, with a jazz ensemble playing all night, food, and beverage provided. Absolutely stupendous music that night, Chris West and the like were all there. After that, I spent many an hour sitting and listening on Saturdays as Ken was listening to recordings he was working on.

Scott

1 Like

Saw my dealer today who has their Solstice, I will be going for a dem sometime soon and then possibly a home loan if I like what I hear.

I am also keen to listen to it with my Superline/SupercapDR,

So, does Naim, or anyone else, have a recommendation on what loading plugs to use on the Superline with the Solstice?

Richard

1 Like

Just see what naim are suggesting for the cartridge and hopefully you might have a plug already the same, as on the new phono you just adjust the switch pot on the rear, much easier.

Thanks but… ummm … what is Naim suggesting for the cartridge?

I don’t know but your dealer should

Assembled Today!

17 Likes

3 generations?

Until a few months ago, a PS and a phono stage side by side on the same Fraim level was blasphemy :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

But these were designed to be positioned like that…

Clare, this all sounds like a very brave new world, next you will be telling us we don’t need to shake our cables!

6 Likes

Interesting. I always figured that keeping PS transformer vibrations and magnetic fields away from the delicate phono signal was easiest achieved by distance and isolation. Wondering about the internal design now. Any chance for pics with the lids off? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Picture of the inside of the phono stage at least

1 Like

But you aren’t going to be able to sell the Solstice for long. Once you’ve sold your allocation and then possibly your demo deck, that’s it, game over. Unless you know something the rest of us don’t… :thinking::wink: