New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

@biddler66 Ah, thanks Biddler. I thought a forum member owned a Clearaudio Innovation, but wasn’t sure if my memory was playing tricks on me. Of course, I remember your post in system pics now. I have heard the Innovation Compact (with an Exposure integrated & Larsen speakers) and thought it a lovely system, but not heard any Clearaudio decks higher up the food chain, so guessing that the Innovation, plus arm / cart / phono would be in similar territory to the Solstice.

Interesting reading your thoughts about the Solstice having heard one. Yes, I think your are correct that personal preference will be the deciding factor. I do remember a dealer once commented at a dem, comparing record players with deserts - “if you would like a sorbet, buy a Rega P10, if you’d prefer an ice cream sundae, then buy an LP12”. Simplistic perhaps, but it makes the point well about choosing what you like - I guess there is no ‘bad’ at this rarified level.

1 Like

@YetiZone Yes fully agree. I was really impressed with the Solstice though. I think if I did not have the clear audio I would have plumped on a solstice. For me (always personal opinion) the solstice was nicer than any LP12 I have heard plus a few other turntables. I think Naim did a fantastic job with it considering it is their first attempt at a TT. My hat is well and truly dipped to them on what they have produced.

2 Likes

I’'m not likely to ever hear a Solstice but I’d be surprised if it bettered my Clearaudio (Ovation with Universal arm and VTALifter). However, with the cartridge I have (DV XV-1s) it’s nearly $20k retail with no phonostage. Add to that the $13k for the SL/SCDR.

1 Like

I would say that you have probably a better cart, arm and phono, but inferior deck. So in totality something better.

1 Like

Well, maybe, but we don’t know that. It’s all just speculation without a direct comparison. My Ovation is comparable to an Innovation Basic.

Yes, I can imagine that is one superb sounding record player and phono stage combined.

1 Like

Speculation yes. The Solstice is more massive, have a big platter, is decoupled magnetically like the Ovation, but also suspended.
And there’s a power supply for the motor.

…one conventional way of thinking about this is that the TT is very much more important in determining SQ than is the arm, following behind the arm is the cartridge and finally the phono stage.

I agree, but the Ovation is already a good deck, even if I think it inferior to the Solstice. However when you add to it a better arm, better cart and better phono, you have globally something better.

I guess which is ultimately better is moot for me anyway. I love what I have, and it’s unlikely I’ll ever hear a Solstice. Even if I do and think it’s vastly superior there’s about zero chance I would acquire one. Even if I decided to part with the money, I don’t think I would put it into any TT upgrade. What I have doesn’t need to be beat. The only money I’m likely to spend anymore is for a Fraimlite to top off my brawn stack, and at some point a cartridge replacement.

2 Likes

Enjoy the music, as you know you have a great TT.

1 Like

In the end, that’s all that really matters to me. All the audiophile arcana is unimportant if the toes wiggle when the record plays.

4 Likes

…but, conventional wisdom would not agree with this conclusion, unless the arm/cartridge/phonostage are ‘out of their depths’…

Unfortunately, the hearing date had to be rescheduled to 09/25 due to allergy-related problems with my ears…

I have two technical questions in the meantime:

1. are both audio outputs of the phono pre usable at the same time?
    So the DIN output with an RCA-DIN cable for the headphone amplifier and the RCA output for the “normal” amplifier?
  2. is one of the two audio outputs “strong” enough from the voltage values that a longer connection cable of approx. 5 m to the amplifier can be used?

Thanks for any answers.

atb, Tom

@Naim.Marketing

Can we get an update on Solstice deliveries?

1 Like

I’m waiting for an update - as soon as I get it, i’ll share it. Thanks for everyone’s ongoing patience.

2 Likes

My speculation is that your record player can never be better than the Linn Klimax LP12 ??? !!!

1 Like

My speculation is that there any number of turntables that might compete with a Linn Klimax.

1 Like

According to Stereophile recommended components fall 2021 the Rega P10 is a class A equipment, while the LP12 is a class B .

For an entry level (Majik) LP12 ?