New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

Google turntable head shell weights and you should get some options

1 Like

@ChrisBell , @varyat . One thought occured to me if you’re looking for a heavier, more versatile Aro1 counterweight; is it worth trying to hunt down a TigerPaw Skale for Aro?
IIRC, it was heavier than the standard Naim issue and also came with extra shim rings to alter mass to requirements. Or am I off base?

I have had a good result with the supplied Bias adjuster. I use a WallySkater to adjust

1 Like

I have tried to use my Aro Skale- the diameter of the hole is too small.

Ah! I thought it was too obvious - Scratch that idea then !

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the accident! Happens all to easy :confused:

Interesting to hear about the difference between those two. So I guess you would keep the P10 or rather move to a kind of middle and new solution? Like the Naim?

A number of options really

1. keep p10 and maybe try an aura
  2. keep the bardo and get a better cart (kleos)
  3. sell both and get Solstice
  4. sell both and get as much LP12 as I can afford

Leaning towards solstice at the moment as I have done the LP12 thing before

3 Likes

I think the Rega Aura phono stage really improves the P10 substantially.

1 Like

It all comes down to where you want to be, the rega P10 and aura is a good place to stop, but if you want to explore vinyl more then it soon becomes apparent that the P10 becomes limited and has very little adjustments that can be made to suit other cartridges going forward. Thats fine if you stay in the rega camp, but not great if you want to explore more.

This can be a problem for a lot of arms, i wouldn’t now own an arm that didn’t have all the adjustments needed to fine tune a cartridge in or have problem’s mounting them, plus really you want to be able to adjust them all whilst playing so you can tune it by ear.

But as said it all depends on how deep you want to go and if like me that changed rather quickly once i found that vinyl was my favourite source

2 Likes

Good point. The simple fact that the LP12 sounds better than the p10 tells me I will need to upgrade at some point

1 Like

“The Equinox is a heavy cartridge.” Is this true? The manual says 8.0 grams, close to the Lyras under discussion here and 4 grams lighter than the DV. Is this a manual error? Don’t want to remove my Equinox just to weigh it.

I weighed it (minus the cantilever) and it came in at 14.6g. Not the stated 8g.

1 Like

Thanks! That weight makes more sense, in light of the current discussion. “Minus the cantilever” sounds ominous, my condolences.

I appreciate your kind words. Alas, children in the house and no cover……

Match made in heaven.

1 Like

I would assume that the Bringmann was the endgame.
Do you have the Rönt supply ?

Is the Solistice or Lp12 really better? Different for sure.

Will be interesting to follow, where you end up.

Both were clearly better in terms of detail and tunefulness in the bass. I took the brinkmann into the shop to compare. Have not done the LP12-brinkmann comparison at home yet though. My bardo is as budget as possible, no fancy PS the 10.0 arm and a Lyra Delos. Upgrading it is another option for sure.

2 Likes

Wow, all this discussion about trying to fit 3rd party cartridges to the Aro II makes me glad to be without this beast. My Clearaudio Universal tonearm fits just about any cartridge and comes with a pack of 5 counterweights of varying mass to accommodate them (two are steel, three are aluminum – or the other way around). I am using a DV XV-1s now and plan to fit a Lyra Altas SL later this year. No headshell shims, machine shops necessary.

That seems like a significant oversight by Naim/Clearaudio on this one. I wouldn’t want to be tied to their cartridge. FWIW: I have a Clearaudio Concerto V2 and really don’t like how it’s voiced compared to the DV.

5 Likes

It is odd that Naim supplies tools and a protractor with the Solstice but then makes it a challenge to work outside the box. Nevertheless, it is possible to move on from the “package” with some ingenuity. I do think Naim should outline their future commitment to vinyl playback and provide owners with options.

The Solstice is very good… it deserves very good support.

7 Likes

My thoughts exactly and I will be expressing that tomorrow when I’m at HQ.

3 Likes