New in the Naïm world

I like the comment above “Welcome to the madhouse” from @Klout10.
The OP on his first ever post was simply seeking advice on a new Naim amp and some speakers to match, specifying his budget and the requirement of wife acceptance.
Normally @anon4489532 you would have had some good advice. So why the outburst? Impatience with another forum member? Or was it just the phrasing? Should OP have stated elaborately how important it is for the speakers to have a design that is not just acceptable to male audiophiles but also to female partners with whom the aesthetic/financial choice is being shared?
Obviously you have a problem with the phrase wife acceptance and presumably your opinion is coloured by the general adoption of the acronym WAF. While I respect where you are coming from with this, your quirky response has taken us off-topic and I suggest you give OP some of your esteemed advice instead of ranting off on a tangent.
@Jd70 I second the xs but can’t comment on the speakers. Some good advice already above. Enjoy!

4 Likes

Back on track and a bit of a wildcard perhaps but maybe a used Uniti Atom could be worth a look and listen. You get a lot for your money with those and later on you can start the journey to a pre/power system by first adding a NAP to the Atom.
Nice thing with the Atom being it supports all the streaming services, has both digital and analogue inputs and will drive a wide range of speakers quite comfortably.

1 Like

It’s neither an outburst nor a rant, and to suggest it is either is unnecessary. My response was not to you and there is no need for you to wade in. It’s really not your place to tell me what I can and cannot write. I’m sure the OP meant no harm but the whole wife acceptable thing is very silly. It’s so much better, surely, to specify what has been agreed as domestically acceptable and therefore focus suggestions. For example, floor standing or stand mounted speakers, near wall or away from wall, black, white, wood grain, maximum overall height or width would all be so much more helpful.

As to suggestions I’m really at a loss. 30m2 and 3m high is a very large space and small speakers and a modest amplifier are really not going to fill it with a convincing sound. If the OP wants to keep the dac as a source then something like a Nait XS2 and a pair of efficient speakers with decent sized bass units such as Naim Allaes might fit the bill and would come in at the €2,000 limit. But as to whether they are wife acceptable I’ve absolutely no idea.

1 Like

He is fully entitled to wade in since this is a public forum.

3 Likes

There’s no need for anyone to get angry about this.

Just my view but I suspect Nigel is lucky in that he, like a few others on the forum, are able to share their systems in the sitting room with their wives or partners or other family members who may well embrace and enjoy the music they produce. He, therefore, has no need to even think about using terms such as WAF which, objectively, are probably inappropriate and slightly derogatory in this day and age.

I’m also pretty sure that there are many forum members who, like me, would have absolutely no chance of installing 4 or more black boxes on a hifi rack along with any type of loudspeaker in the family sitting room. BTW I absolutely agree with my wife that it would look horrible and dominate the room. If those folk wish to reflect the reality of many of those domestic dynamics - i.e. the living rooms are to be shared and enjoyed by more than just the bloke who likes hifi and there is a need to consult with and agree with one’s spouse as to what might be acceptable that is fine too.

3 Likes

Maybe it should be called CAF for couple acceptance or even FAF for family acceptance.

2 Likes

Now that is a positive proposal!

It’s time for some of you to settle down here. “Madhouse” indeed…

3 Likes

In an attempt to draw a line under things here and focus on supporting a new Forum member I think we should just accept our differences, shake hands virtually and get back to the purpose of the original posters request for guidance and support.
Gender specific aspects to one side, @anon4489532 raises a good point on the impact of the room acoustics and how best to fill the room with a suitable amp and speaker combination. To my mind a key consideration here is OP’s budget and how that may relate to our collective hive minds experience of specific appropriate hardware both amp and speakers.

Maybe to be proper PC, it should be PAF - Partner Acceptance. Seems to be more normal these days, Gerald Fitz-Patrick, Mary Love-Stacy & any other combo …

Indeed, this looks like a madhouse,
i never could expert such a remark could cause such reactions.
I only asked for some good looking speakers, i am selling my B&o, and they look good, for me and for my Wife.
In Holland it is a saying “these speakers have the waf factor”, maybe in other countries this is different

1 Like

Dave, one of my dreams, which will sadly remain unfulfilled, is to have a separate room for music and one for the TV. As it is, our house isn’t big enough for that so we have to compromise. When we met in 1984, when I was 23, I already had an LP12, Naim 42.5, Hicap, 250, Sound Factory Tripods and a pair of Linn Kans on Kan 2 stands. Very utilitarian and flat earth black. So living with a Naim system comes with the territory and what we have now looks miles better than what we had then. We are both keen that everything looks as good as it can within our space and budgetary constraints and choose things together. It seems strange that anyone might do it any other way.

1 Like

I agree with Naimette, in that Naim gear tends to make most speakers sound very good. At the moment, my Naim is driving a pair of fully restored Kef R107’s, and they sound excellent together. I came across a poster in a thread that was drining Kef R107s with 50k worth of Naim gear. So, to some people they seem to be a good match. It’s a tad weird I know, cuz it’s such an old speaker.
I used to have a Musical Fidelity Dac which I really liked, but the Dac in my Naim unit is so much more clear, and still very musical.
Anyway just my observations. Best of luck with whatever Naim gear you choose.
Cheers.

Dave

I took wifey to my dealers to show here some speakers. I showed her the Focal Kantas and she said, there is no way we are having those in our lounge. I said, what about those lovely looking Totem Forest Signatures, they have a beautiful wood gloss finish and sound great. She said, yep, get those, so I did. They were the ones I wanted to get…

7 Likes

Mike_S…did you say “wifey”? Well, I never!

1 Like

Oops… :sunglasses:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.