New Laptop

.NET…The runtime framework from hell. That reminds me of another reason I rejoice that my days of developing on Windows are over.

You’re right, migrating a windows PC to new hardware is very painful. MS Office is often only licensed to the original PC so you have to buy a new copy. Contrast that to the new iPhone I’ve just bought where you sit it next to the old phone and all the data, apps and settings are automatically migrated via Bluetooth or iCloud.
Simples!

No, I don’t think that’s correct for MS Office. It was installed and keyed to a specific PC’s hardware, but you did not need to buy it new for a new Windows machine. Microsoft had a procedure for migrating the license to new hardware. I did that numerous times when I used Windows. It was somewhat an aggravation but that was the way it was done. Maybe things changed.

Isn’t Office now more of a subscription-based sales model now?

Reading all this isn’t making me happy as I have to replace my surface pro that’s starting to fail. I have no option other than a PC as the estimating program I use is a windows only program. Setting everything up and transferring everything across to a new laptop just scares me.

you could just run a virtual machine on your mac for the estimating software. We have MACs at work that run some Windows specific software that way. Bootcamp that is built into the mAC OS can do though you’ll need a licences copy of the Windows Operating system too…

Yep MS Office is a Sub now…

I’ll look into that and see how difficult it is I still have to run Outlook but I know I can run Outlook for Mac which mightn’t be a problem. Thanks.

With Apple going to the arm64 architecture (M1, M2, etc) virtualizing Windows is no longer an option, officially. Until Microsoft is willing to license an arm64 version of Windows that’s a bit of a challenge. BootCamp doesn’t exist for the new Macs. Only the older Intel-based Macs have it.

I want to run Windows for a music cataloging software program that abandoned the Mac, so I have been thinking about turning my old Intel-based Mac Mini into a Windows machine using BootCamp (which is not an option with my M1 Max MacBook Pro).

I didn’t realise that - all our macs at work must be pretty old now then… cheers

Does that mean I couldn’t run the Windows only program on a Mac (3 years old).

To virtualize Windows x64 you need a Mac that runs on the Intel architecture. For the past few years Apple has been migrating all the Macs from Intel x64 to their own arm64 (i.e. M1 and M2) processors.

At best, you could emulate Windows x64 on arm64, but that would be very slow. A host machine (i.e the Mac) virtualizes using its native architecture (i.e arm64) so anything it hosts (another OS like Linux or Windows) has to run on the same processor architecture. An arm64 version of Windows exists (for mobile devices), but Microsoft has yet to adapt and license it for use in virtual machines on desktop/laptop/server computers.

I have virtualized Windows on Macs in the past, but they all ran on Intel processor architecture.

If your Mac is three years old it is likely still a Intel-based mac and, if so, you can virtualize Windows on it successfully.

What Mac do you have?

It’s a 3GHz 6- Intel Core i5

So it should be ok.

Yes, you’ll need virtualization software like Parallels Desktop, VmwAre Fusion or VirtualBox and a Windows license for it.

I was just reading that Parallels v18 will let you purchase and download the arm64 Windows directly on the new M1/M2 Macs. I might need to investigate further.

I use to run Parrallels awhile back and tbh struggled. Might have to do some research, thanks anyway.

When I ran a Windows vitual machine I always preferred VMWare Fusion over Parallels. Now I would personally look into VirtualBox. It’s free.

1 Like

Hi @Mike-B and others –

A topical post as my ‘W10’ Tosh lap-top screen has just separation procedure akin to the Starship Enterprise! One side of the casework has snapped!

Can I ask you/others, what solution is best here e.g.

1- I avoid OneDrive – perhaps irrational but cloud = non-private for me!

2- is it best to get a suitable external HD and save across photos et al? I’ve not got much saved but what there is is valuable in terms of records.

3- Any tips on how to minimise the costs of having to get a new Windows set-up (W11)? With the pre-loads the cost is usually high and can be bettered/much reduced – sadly I don’t have access to a corporate deal (and cannot claim to be a student!).

I’ve no premium/payable app’s to worry about – although will have to ensure all passwords and security Q’s are UTD and written down, as using some 'sites with new/other kit nowadays seems to set the hares running.

@HappyListener

1. Your choice.

2. Yes - defdinitely. Get an External HDD. Keep as your Back Up.

3. Buy a pre-loved PC, with Win 10 or 11 already installed. Mine had - has - Win 11 and Office 2019 pre installed, for less than £400 - from an eBay UK Seller. Its a Dell box.

Re. Passwords, etc. Use a Password Manager to save them on you old PC (eg the one Google has). Its then quite easy to reinstall them on your new PC.

I did all of this within the last month… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ah-ha, a one side casework snap. Snap!!!

Hi HappyListener
Mine was caused by the hinge seizing, and because I didn’t attend to it in time, the plastic gave up.

I don’t avoid OneDrive, it has its uses, especially transferring stuff over from the old laptop, now it’s more or less redundant, but a handy to have in the toolbox.

I used my external backup HHD to transfer my large photo’s & documents type stuff.
My old laptop had 1TB HHD, most new laptops are now SSD and at best are only half that.
So although 500GB is OK, I now have all photo, docs & suchlike on the external HD, with any current/active stuff ready for work on the laptop, it’s gets copied over (refreshed) when I back up.

As for tips on Win11, best to sort your own preferences, it takes a few sessions to learn the differences & how you would like to use them. I’m now more or less content with what I’ve finally ended up with, but still looking.
One thing I really like is the SSD speed, it opens in a flash & everything is so much faster.

1 Like

Thanks and all noted.

Re the pre-loved kit route, I thought each W10/11 had to be personally licenced? Am I wrong?

I must admit I have lost the plot with having things like a MS account i.e. what that actually means!

1 Like