New Laptop

Thanks – yep, seemingly a stuck plastic hinge, which when asked to close decided not to – and the adjoining casework was obviously too weak to resist the torque (only the weight of the screen half-open). A bit of WD40 needed :frowning:

The other hinge and allied casework is now begging for mercy/come away from its moorings!

I think 1TB HDD sounds the way to go, and ASAP! – thanks.

I am typing this reply on my pre-loved Win 11 PC. Draw your own conclusion - or simply ask one of the eBay Sellers.

I did not need to register ‘my’ PC - its just worked. Win 11 happily updates itself, as if to prove that there isn’t an issue. Its all Witchcraft, these days…!

What did greatly help me was (a) having all my files backed up, ready to transfer on a USB powered HDD (mine is a 1 TB - cheap enough) and (b) having sorted out all my passwords and settings (so, Office preferences) ready also.

The only glitch I hit was with Avast’s Password manager. They wanted to charge me to re-install it. Baubles to that. So, I exported my Passwords from Avast to Google Chrome format. Job done…!! Now using the Google Chrome PM instead. Works well.

Using such ‘Cloud’ features helps a lot…IMO. But YMMV…

(A Google search asking ‘How do I transfer ‘X’ from my old PC to my new one…’ can help a lot, too.)

1 Like

VMWare Fusion also supporting M1 Macs (and I assumed M2).

I’m still using VMWare so I can run Microsoft Money (and have for over a decade or so)… I really should move from an old, unsupported programme for managing my bank account and credit cards…

We moved off Microsoft Money quite a few years ago now. It was an excellent program.

We’re now using Moneydance. We were able to import all our MS Money history after a bit of trial and error.

We now prefer Moneydance, you can have a mobile app and sync via Dropbox, great for entering transactions on the move.

So how well does Windows run on VMWare Fusion on Apple Silicon? Not that I feel like buying a Fusion license.

If I have to get a Windows license anyway, I think I’ll convert my old 2012 Mac Mini to bootcamp running Windows. I have one application I want to run on it. I have a new M2 Macbook Air on the way so I don’t need that Mini to run macOS anymore.

Afraid I can’t answer that yet… I just saw it as one of the selling points of Fusion when I upgraded last. I’m still using Intel on my Mac Mini but since this is out of support I need to get around to getting another Mac Mini so I guess that’s when I find out whether it runs on an M1 (or more likely M2).

I have the same dilemma as you. I use both Mac and PC, the PC for CAD software so it is a simple but effective mini PC and the MACbook Pro for emails, documents and general office duties.

Before I bought the mini PC I investigated buying a new MAC and running Parallels on it, but eventually I decided it was not a goer for me, the CAD software is quite hefty and I couldn’t be bothered with the potential crashing issues that may have occurred.

Anyway, my current thinking now is to buy a wide screen monitor that has a feature called ‘side by side’ or something similar, which allows you to have both a MAC screen and the PC screen open in the same monitor.

I watched a YT video where a guy set his up quite easily with some additional connectors and a very simple software tool for the mouse and keyboard actions.

I think I will go with this solution as it separates work items quite nicely, the MAC is backed up by the Time Machine and the PC, which is effectively all my drawing work, by my WD hard drive on the network, which also has my U- Serve backups.

Apologies Mike for going off topic.

I’ve been looking at potential Mac Mini and monitor. Can’t quite get my head round the scaling issues with 4k rather than 5k. Some videos out there saying it effects performance and others not so.

I was going to upgrade my Surface Pro but nothing is compatible with my current Surface. Which means I’d have to buy another over priced key board and other accessories.

My M1 MacBook Pro is issued by my company. I just ordered a MacBook Air for personal use, so I have been thinking about asking my company to take back my MacBook Pro and get me a Mac Studio M1 Max instead. That would be more suitable, and I still have a Air and an iPad pro for mobile use.

Having just bought a Mac on ‘apple silicon’ I’ve started to do ‘proper’ research.

Very disappointed to find out I can’t simply take a VM from Fusion running on an Intel Mac and install it on a Mac-silicon-Mac. If I want to run Money there seem to be two options, first installing windows 11 for arm (as a new VM) then installing money on top of that, or there seems to be a way to virtualise a VM from a computer running windows 11 and then run that on the M1 Mac.

Seems to be a lot of hassle…

I think the days of Macs running Intel are going and MS Money’s been out of maintenance for a long time so best I spend the ‘IT effort’ learning how to use a new programme (investigating Moneydance, thanks @trickydickie ) rather than finding ways to run an old one! Shame really, I’ve been using MS Money for over 20 years… probably closer to thirty…

1 Like

The other virtualization option for Macs is Parallels, and they just released a new version that allows installing an offically support arm64 version of Windows 11. Apparently, one can purchase the Windows arm64 license and install it directly from Parallels. I don’t know what the cost is for the Windws license.

I read about that but, frankly, if I’ve got to buy and install a new virtualization environment, buy a new OS, build a new VM of that OS and then install an app…

I think my time (and money!) Is better spent installing and learning a new finance management package…

A bit of a pain really but I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.