New Linn Sondek LP12 Majik

Hi everyone,

I am looking to upgrade my system with LP 12 majik, with new krane tonearm I have clearaudio concept mc and superline now. Obviously cause of superline I want to upgrade majik with MC cartridge. Probably akurte from Linn.

I had an audition and comparison between standard majik and concept mm. Of course Majik sounded to me way better. I will not enter to details about sound now.

There was one problem with Majik. Since it has a built in power supply, while the volume was over half or 3/4 over, there was a hum when tonearm was moved towards the middle of the platter. I suppose when was going over power supply. Does anyone had similar experience? Is there a way to solve this hum?

Cheers

Was this while it was playing? or when the tonearm was moved by hand. If it was when a hand was on the tonearm itself, it may just be the ground wire needs to be connected to the back of your equipment, and if it already is, sometimes removing it works.

The tonearm was moved towards the centar of the record. Above the record. It wasn’t playing. The volume was at max. (Of course, on every turntable there is a hum with max volume) hum was much more higher on the centar above the record then on the edge of it. Doesn’t matter if you touch the tonearm or not. It was hearable even on listening levels.

I belive it is doing something with majik power supply, when tonearm pass over it. The transformer is inside it at the end.

When asked linn they said they never had such a problem and something like “the question is why you listen to maxed out volume”. Tried to explain the problem further more, the answer was something like “we already said everything about it”

A little bit disappointing from a reputable manufacturer like Linn. So I was just wondering if someone else had similar experience?

1 Like

Morning @Savate

was this new deck ? - if so the normal prodcedure is for Linn to send to the dealer, for final set up the delear then sets the deck up and then customer collects?

I think your LP12 needs to have other upgrades before considering fitting an Akurate cartridge. :thinking:

1 Like

Couple of thoughts on this:

• The Majik power supply is poor. It’s the worst power supply ever made by Linn from a sound quality perspective, and a Valhalla trounces it. If you have a Karousel deck (and you would, with a new Majik), get at least a Lingo for it ASAP. This is much more important than getting an MC cartridge.
  • The Majik PSU is a transformer; I’m not surprised you get hum when you’re playing at louder-than-reasonable volumes (and max is that) and putting a tonearm past the run-out groove (at least as I understood from your post) which are not design parameters (the performance when doing something different from listening to music is really irrelevant, isn’t it)
2 Likes

This was a brand new deck. Went for an audition to the dealer.

I was thinking the same. Never the less much cheaper decks don’t have this issue.

Anyway, I really got into Linn, and I will get majik with Lingo PS and Akurate cartridge. I am sure this will workout just fine.

Thx everyone for your thoughts about this.

Savate,

Just a thought have you had the opportunity to listen to other decks?

Regards,

Lindsay

Hey @LindsayM ,

Yes I did. Few of them. The problem is that I couldn’t test them in my system. I have concept mc now and a naim superline phono stage, and I would like to upgrade,… deck only. Suparline is one of a reason why I must have MC cartridge.

I appreciate you like the idea of a Linn but I might suggest that at that price point a Rega RP8 or perhaps 10 would give better value for money. Both decks have superb tonearms and host MC cartridges really well.

Good luck.

Lindsay

1 Like

You need to listen. A Rega will not sound like a Linn. Also a Linn will not sound like a Rega.
I prefer the Linn. Other preferences are available.

3 Likes

Rega are heavily into MC , a Majik comes with MM . You can easily have a bespoke LP12 made by Cymbiosis or What You See And Hear .

Seems daft ( to me) to buy an off the shelf product and then revamp it.

A friend of mine had a Linn LP12 built for him by Cymbiosis. He discussed his requirements with Peter Swain, who then built what he wanted. Turned out to be around half the cost of a new Majik spec LP12.

4 Likes

Thank you for your replies, and suggestions.

I am sure that there are, probably better options, but I live in Dubai, and there is no too much options to hear. I am afraid to make a blind order. I have a great hifi dealer here, we have great relations for years and he gives me all equipment on audition first, before I decide to buy it.

Unfortunately There is no Rega dealer here, so I can not try it, and i would love to. Only other options are Clearaudio, and Project. As I said I have concept MC. Every Clearaudio above it has much bigger price than my budget. I didn’t try Project, but honestly I am not sure that dealer has anything in this range on stock. Seems that he is more oriented to lower budget decks. If I order Linn from Cymiosisit it will come in parts I suppose. I never assembled Linn deck before?

Anyway, I’ll snoop into rega catalog.

Cheers

1 Like

I’m not allowed by Forum rules to provide a link but there is a Rega distributor in UAE.

Good luck.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with ProJect - they compete at every price point . It’s a brand I have used in the past and they make some super turntables.

I have a Clearaudio Emotion - it’s arm is more or less the same as the new Linn arm , see if you can get a deal ?

IMG_0095

Both Clearaudio and ProJect don’t get the approval handed out on this forum that is given to Rega but both are mighty fine manufacturers of audio equipment

Best wishes

3 Likes

Very true @Ian2001 but I suspect that is because so many Naim dealers also sell Rega and Linn.

Regards,

Lindsay

2 Likes

Honestly I would rather have a clearaudio as an upgrade, but for amount I am getting Linn combination mentioned above, I can get only performance DC and Satisfy Kardan (Linn Krane Tonearm), which is just a step above from my CA deck now. After comparison, I found Linn more pleasant, with more bass, less “CD-ish”. I just like it more. So Ovation or some Innovation series, will have to wait a little bit. :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.