New loudspeaker - life after SBL?

Thanks. The 242 makes it possible to enjoy active now, and then upgrade/recap when ready.

Certainly not ā€œglorifyingā€ the old way its just how it is, building materials are very different these days, as i have explained

Iā€™ve been listening to some other speakers and it emphasises just what a personal and room dependent decision it is, so I wonā€™t mention brands. And then I come back to the SBLsā€¦I borrowed 3 CDs Iā€™d not have thought of - Tubular Bells, the 2003 remake, Autobahn (Kraftwerk of course) and Joni Mitchell, Both Sides. All three show the SBLs in great light, even with room issues, and thereā€™s a moment between track 8/9 on Tubular Bells where the bass is so pronounced, I just think the quality Iā€™m after is in there, but how do I get it out more often? Joni Mitchell - one of the best Hifi listening experiences of my life.

Lolā€¦ thatā€™s exactly what I thought recently - without listening to other speakers.
There is everything and sometimes massive bass. Would love it more often but there are these moments with excellent bass reproduction.
But without a look to other speaker I can not tell if it could be better. For the moment I am totally happy.

I have SL2s and they are capable of phenomenally deep bass - when itā€™s on the recording - and thatā€™s the important thing. A lot of modern speakers are far too bassy for me. They seem to add bass when itā€™s not really there. Go and listen to a jazz trio live. Then listen to the recording of the same band. Listen to the acoustic bass. Some of the ECM artists will play virtually all of a new album when they tour it on release, so itā€™s possible to listen to the album at home and make a direct comparison. The SL2, and the SBL, have an uncanny ability to reproduce that live performance. It may not be great ā€˜listen to that bass!! listen to that pinpoint imaging!!!ā€™ hifi, but itā€™s great on a musical level, and after all, thatā€™s what most of us want from our stereo.

3 Likes

Totally agree Nigel, and I think this is true of all of the original series of Naim speakers. I wasnā€™t as convinced by the Ovator 400 that I demoed and was happy to keep my SBLs. I did eventually replace them though. I bought a late Mk2 pairā€¦

I had a lovely Mk 2 set once, with the all over veneer, though they were cherry and a bit to orange for me. The ā€˜properā€™ Naim speakers are just so musical. You can just forget that itā€™s recorded sound. Modern F word speakers for example can be the opposite - fantastic hifi pyrotechnics but no relation to real music. Who wants to listen to a piano that sounds like itā€™s thirty feet wide?

Mine are cherry Nigel, but they work visually in my room. They used to belong to Ken of this parish. He used them actively but I managed to source a brand new Paxo, new sealant kit and some grills from Tom Tom. Although I can set them up quite well my dealer did a professional instal too. Simply sublime.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.