New Naim & Focal what?

But you need to buy a listening seat with long legs.

The elephant in the room of course, is that if you aren’t a fan of Focal speakers, at least one (possibly more) of the new products will mean nothing to you.

4 Likes

is that a daddy’s chair? (ooh my bad) daddy long legs

Of course that’s true. But launch new products at a small regional hifi event? Seems pretty unlikely to me.

Focal 1000 series, in wall speakers. If someone gives it to me, I sell it immediately.

I suspect that I will be disappointed. But I was hoping for an NDX2 in an olive wrapper.

More seriously, I have been looking forward to a change/upgrade on the NDX2 so I can pick one up at a discounted price and have now done a deal on a brand new NDX2 for a price which I would have been delighted to pay a few months ago for a second hand one. I expect it to work well with my 52/250. The only question will be whether to get a matching XPS dr (also brand new) and also at a discounted price?

1 Like

Perhaps a bit of clever DSP could be incorporated to give selectable sound signatures via the Focal / Naim app.

Select from Naim (Old school or Ovator) or Focal speaker characteristics at the swipe of a finger :flushed::joy:

4 Likes

Hahaha. :sweat_smile:

Except I never liked Naim speakers either.

2 Likes

I doubt someone is going to give it to you, so you won’t have to worry.

3 Likes

That seems to me to be the message - a merging of the Statement with some Focal speakers, in Active configuration.

1 Like

Depends… Might make sense to release where you want/expect to grow the most.

Naim in the UK market is pretty established, probably there’s limited room for growth.

Well whatever happens next week or at Bristol or whenever I don’t know, but I imagine the ultimate destination is likely an integrated Streamer/DAC/Pre with active Focals (Focal powered by Naim). I would be disappointed if this meant the eventual demise of the Naim power amp, in effect restricting the use of Naim electronics with other speaker brands.

However, I merely speculate.

Regards,

Lindsay

2 Likes

So you can make them compatible :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

What makes you think Statement? If active, therewould need to be several power amps. Much more likely, especially considering the relatively small volume apparently at the base of that speaker in the video, would be multiple single channels from the 300, or possibly the 500, That is assuming they haven’t produced something different as a variant or even completely new. Logical would be a high power amp for the base, less for the mid, and less still the treble, but all maintaining the same sound, character and sound quality.

I suppose because I could see what look like the white separation block of a statement - but you are right, it would be huge.
As for different amps for each drive - I’m not sure that you need a higher power for the base than for the mid or treble. ISTR reading that the opposite is true, you need a higher power for the treble. I may be mis-remembering, though, because it would seem logical that you need higher power for the bass - at least in terms of amperage. I do remember reading, many years ago, that you could use different amplifier designs for bass, mid and treble, optimising them for the frequencies that they need to deal with.

1 Like

Who here remembers the change from olive to black? 2002 was it?

Was it that on one particular day the dealers all had new stock of all or was it just trickled through?

.sjb

I am another that is not overly excited. Just got down from the loft with four boxes ready to go back to HQ for servicing purposes. My target is to still be here to do it again in another twenty years or so lol.

That said, you can’t help but be interested in the new launch and I certainly wish Naim every success with their new product line. It will be very interesting.

3 Likes

Bass needs far more energy than treble – this is evident from the size of the drivers if nothing else! If you look at any professional system, you will see that’s what they do. The principle that you want the highest sound quality where the detail is, namely higher up the frequency range than the bass (and arguably it is the midrange that is the most critical area). With Naim amps, the highest sound quality ones are the most powerful, so when mixing different amps that’s where the idea comes from to put the most powerful on treble (or mid). My point – and it is what ATC do – is that all the amps should be the same sound quality, but don’t need as much power on the upper ranges.

I recall the change away from Olive being a gradual process. It wasn’t a case of dealers closing their shops on a Saturday evening full of Olive components, then opening on the following Monday morning full of the complete range of new equipment.

That may be wrong, in which case you’ll have posts flying in soon enough.

Yeah, we could be The Kids from ‘Faim’.

3 Likes