New Naim & Focal what?

I wasn’t into hifi in those days, but as far as I know it started with the new Nap 500 and Nait 5. Happy to be corrected!

@jmtennapel I’m not saying it should or would just I would be disappointed if Naim power amps disappeared.

@graham55 yes evolution would be good but Naim have a Sister company now who might be keen to see quicker progress.

But on all counts I merely speculate!

Interesting that Naim recommends the “better” amps on the treble, not the bass, at least on active systems.

3 Likes

I think what you need is a current amplifier for the bass, and a voltage amplifier for the treble. But I may be wrong on that.

2 Likes

After the Naim/Focal teaser on Twitter, they posted an advert for the Nap 500, which tells me that Naim power amps are here to stay.

4 Likes

They are all watching this thread at Naim and Focal HQ laughing at us trying to figure out what the next big thing will be. This NAP500 ad is just to confuse us. :smiling_imp:

I put my money on Focal active speakers powered by Naim and a nice streaming preamp to go with it.

BR,
Richard

5 Likes

See my post 5 above yours.

1 Like

Or they want to shift remaining ones before the announcement…

1 Like

If that were the case, then it would be disingenuous of Naim to promote the Nap 500 after a teaser of a new product.

Not sure why? Teaser of new product is equally valid regardless of whether or not they’re going to discontinue or update the 500.

I need to fix a leaking tap, but I guess it’s OK to post about that leak!
:stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Same problem here, my tap is internally broken need to be entirely replaced which implies switching off the water entirely.

2 Likes

My money is on active speakers but I do wonder whether Class D amps will start to make an appearance in this application. Naim have never said never. I think the phrase was “not for a very long time”. That was back in 2018.

I predict that Naim will release an improved NAP501 amp, limiting sales to ageing hipsters, mods or rockers, who want it to set off their (button-flied) 501 jeans.

6 Likes

New statement?? Just turn up the brightness looks like it’s kinda big.
Could be an active speaker.

Richard……How can you not like the lid? …… it’s a thing of beauty … :grin:

So’s a lavatory seat I suppose.

1 Like

Only to its mother.

I purchased an XPS DR about six months after I had purchased my NDX 2. I found it to be a worthwhile upgrade. A few others over the past couple of years have tried it and did not have the same experience.

Best advice is demo the NDX 2 at the dealer’s site with and without the XPS DR. If you like it in the show room ask to demo at home or have a trial period where you can return if not satisfied.

Good luck with your decision.

1 Like

A couple of years ago I had a cd555 on NZ TM. Was on for ages! Went for $5000 NZD to a guy in Malaysia.
Luck him eh