New Naim Internet Radio - feedback & requests

Hi @alan33 @ChrisSU and all,

Earlier this week I had a chat with the manager who heads up the apps development.

Overall consensus:

• The text and icon used in the ‘filter’ section needs adjusting (easy).
  • The filter section is showing a bit too often. Possibly a bug has crept in. To investigate.
  • The global search area is already on our radar for redevelopment. However, now we have better servers for radio there is no harm if we hit the servers with more search requests. The old vtuner servers really struggled with this and this resulted in a user interface that was a bit quirky on its operation.

So can’t say when, but you will be seeing slow but sure improvements in this area.

Best

Steve

9 Likes

I recall that the filter only used to appear when the list was above a certain length. It now appears all the time, even for a list of one item!

Re. global search, can’t say I had any problems with it, even with vTuner it seemed OK to me. Just that a casual user might be unaware of it as an iRadio tool, or even of the concept of global vs local search.

Took me a while to find Capital Nottingham.

There’s a typo in the name -
“Nothingham”

(which is a bit harsh :thinking::joy:)

1 Like

Hi @Goodname1

Woops, now corrected! :innocent:. Might need to add a new entry to the Urban Dictionary….

Best

Steve

PS. In the case of Capital, in the brands view all of the national and regional stations are grouped together.

1 Like

Humphrey Lyttleton on a 1999 episode of I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Clue recorded in Nottingham. “It’s well documented in official records that the city’s original name was Snottingham or home of snot, but when the Normans came, they couldn’t pronounce the letter S, and so decreed the town be called Nottingham, or the home of notts. It’s easy to understand why this change was resisted so fiercely by the people of Scunthorpe.”

5 Likes

Hi @Stevesky yesterday I installed the new firmware with the new Internet radio solution on the ND5XS2. Everything went without a hitch. I was also able to find the Jazz Groove streams without difficulty and save them in the favourites/presets. What’s more, I received an email from Jazzgroove as a premium user two days ago. It confirms what you wrote in the post about Jazzgroove Premium above. However, the old instructions for premium streams via V-Tuner are still on the Jazzgroove homepage. I assume that this will be updated soon.
Thanks again to you and the Naim team for the great internet radio update. It’s a big step forward.

Hi @Wilfried

We aim to update the instructions at Jazz Groove for the new system once it gets released next month. We’re in a no-mans-land at the moment for user added stations, but it has been a good way to get customers to tell us what is missing/can be improved and we add them for all users. Incoming requests are at a trickle now… which is nice :slight_smile:

Best

Steve

2 Likes

Hi all,

Some engineering update for our Australian customers.

In the early mornings of Sunday we did the following network updates:

Pure Gold - (Pure Gold – ARN) These all moved on to a different CDN and are also upgraded to 128kbit streams. Previously was on 48kbit.

KIIS - (KIIS – ARN) - Moved CDN. Now on 128bit streams, upgraded from 48kbit. KIIS, NSW podcasts now reflect all available.

CADA (CADA – ARN) = Moved CDN. Now on 128bit streams, upgraded from 48kbit.

4MBS (https://www.4mbs.com.au/) - Added as a brand. Silver Memories channel added.

3MBS (https://www.3mbs.org.au/) - Ondemand / podcasts are now added.

2MBS (https://www.2mbsfinemusicsydney.com/). - Ondemand / podcasts are now complete.

2SM (https://2smsupernetwork.com/) - moved to AAC stream for better sound quality.

Enjoy

Steve

Thanks Steve, that worked

Hi.
I can’t seem to find Celtic Moon, a Celtic Radio station? Is it me or is it not on the new service.
Also am surprised there does not seem to be song playing info for Naim’s own stations?
Is there an easy way to search for all of the SomaFM stations in one list?
Many thanks.

Would be great using the NSC 222 and Nova if we could keep the song now playing screen in place. Would save an awful lot of tedium having to use the 222 remote or wave at the Nova each time I want to know what’s playing.
Many thanks.

2 Likes

Hi Terry, I’ve just tried this and typed ‘soma’ into the magnifying glass search window and straight of the bat under ‘radio’ it found all the soma stations.

Thanks nitrous, will try that.

Great pic. It looked like it had gone for good so great to see it resurrected. Does anyone know any more stations similar to Wyldwood?

1 Like

590 VOCM St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada is missing from the list after the update. It would be great to get it back. Other than the one missing station I’m enjoying the update. Good to see Naim taking this in house

Thank you for the great service :slight_smile:

1. The beat 92.5 Montreal is found but at albeit a lower bitrate (aac 56k instead of mp3 96k) & sounds worse.
  2. H2O Radio, Lac d’annecy 90.4, France missing?
  3. Bestnetradio - Christmas Pop: missing ?

Firstly I wanted to say a big thank you to @Stevesky . I don’t tend to use radio on my Naim, but I have been following this thread with amazement of the effort Naim and Steve are going to in order to improve the Naim radio service. Certainly someone going above and beyond, seeing updates over weekends and evenings - so Thank You!

This has inspired me to have a closer look, and came across the channel below. Now two things I noticed, first (I suspect this is already known) that if you scroll down, you get a load of additional useful info.

Secondly, On this radio station, I get some extra buttons as shown below. The buttons suggest you can fast forward and rewind. The icons last night were not greyed out, however did not affect the positions of the stream. Other radio stations don’t seem to have this. An hour later last night, the buttons disappeared. Then this morning they are back, but greyed out. So was wondering if this is a new feature that may be coming down the line for station that support it? Also is this a device feature based on its own buffer, or a remote control going back to the station?

Hi @terry3

The planets have been realigned and Celtic Moon is back.

We’ve added the full network of stations into a brand for Canada.

Enjoy!

Regards

Steve

Hi @GadgetMan

Buttons ion NowPlaying - that is an app bug. Will be fixed shortly.
That should only show when doing podcasts.

Best

Steve

1 Like

Hi @Stevesky, were you able to get a more definitive answer/understanding of the dropouts of groove salad HD around and afternoon CET?
It is still happening.