New Naim Internet Radio - feedback & requests

At Naim, we understand that while many people use our products to get the best listening experience from their own music collection; sometimes you simply want to put the radio on and let someone else choose. We’ve offered a comprehensive internet radio solution for some time, and we are now delighted to announce the launch of our own in-house internet radio solution.

In a collaboration between XPeri and our team here at Naim, we have brought the internet radio server in-house to be maintained internally, as opposed to relying on a third party as with the previous server. This will improve reliability and has opened up a host of improvements to the service, detailed below:

- A selection of over 45,000 stations worldwide
- Advanced metadata feeds for artist, track and album info on many stations
- Focus on high-quality audio streams
- Improved station categorisation
- High-resolution station artwork
- Automated station scanning
- Station podcasts (where available)

The Focal & Naim app will identify any favourites and presets that should be resaved to use the new server.

These updates are not only improving the internet radio server but improving our streaming capabilities too. TIDAL’s new 24-bit, 192 kHz streaming tier, TIDAL Max, is now available through both the Focal & Naim app and TIDAL Connect.

In a significant update for our Chinese customers, Q-Play is now supported in Naim products. QQ Music is one of the largest music streaming services in China, and users are now able to select their Naim streamer from within the QQ Music app for a seamless listening experience.

Regards,
Naim Audio – Software team

With the launch of Naim’s new Internet Radio service (see above), I’ve created this dedicated thread where information can be posted relating to the service and members can post feedback and requests for the team at HQ.

Examples of how this thread can be used;

• Announcements on key new stations / station rebrands etc. For example recently a big change in UK for Bauer Media and Global. Scala radio rebrands to Magic Classical and about 16 other new or existing stations changing.

• request stations that we don’t have.

• issues with a station. Eg, wrong meta / won’t play and so on.

• notifications of any downtime on either our system in a given region, or a dependent system like the xperi live radio meta.

• Search issues. We have the station but its hard to find as needs more tags.

• feature requests / feedback / general radio gossip

Please ensure posts here are ONLY feedback re. the new Naim radio service. Thanks.

16 Likes

Note that 3.10.0 for new Uniti and Streamers will launch first (imminently), followed by 5.2.0 for New Classic hopefully early next week and then 4.4.0 for Gen 2 Mu-So and Qb hopefully by the end of next week.

7 Likes

Good to see this update coming out of beta and released to people waiting for a solution to iRadio issues with vTuner. Developing a solution in house must have been a big step, and I think it will well received after all the recent frustration.

8 Likes

Flagging up the thread for @Stevesky

1 Like

How will we know that the new service is in operation? Will there be firmware updates, or is it a back-end process?

1 Like

New firmware is available, updating my NDX2 currently

1 Like

It will come with the new firmwares - see my post above.

1 Like

Will existing favourites & presets have to be reassigned?

I’ve updated, all existing presets are still present and working, selecting radio in app brings up a new selection of folders - seems a bit mixed up but could be just me, I notice vtuner is still being used if you want to add stations?? Some info from Naim on this new service would be useful

Ok I’ve searched out and replaced all my presets from the new service, seems to work well, nice new logos and also meta data available on some that I didn’t have before which is great, Groove Salad in HiRes too - nice, although it’s stuttering a bit! I’m sure it’ll all improve in time but seems a good job - well done to all involved :+1:

3 Likes

I guess there needs to be a transition period old to new. Hoping for good release notes on the new software. :crossed_fingers:

Will there be a firmware 4.8.x or 4.9 for gen 1 streamers such as SuperUniti to take advantage of this new service?

5 Likes

There will, but I can’t give an eta.

6 Likes

Hi Richard,

will there be a release note available? Also for the other features of 3.10 and the others?

2 Likes

I don’t know Philipp. One for @Stevesky I think

That is very strange because SOMA FM does not have a hi-res stream for Groove Salad.

Hi @Magnolia

Soma Groove Salad - yes it does. However it’s an unusual stream for it to play so few directories expose it (FLAC inside HLS) As part of this unit of work we’ve upgraded the player engine inside the products to handle some very unusual stream configurations.

Best

Steve

4 Likes

Downloaded the latest firmware update today on my Uniti Atom. Just noticed that it’s not possible to add radiostations on the Naim Vtuner site. The map added station on the naim app is empty and shows only the link that refers to the vtuner site. Someone else has this problem?

You might want to edit this to say “4.4.0 for Gen 2 muso and Muso Qb…

2 Likes