New Naim Nova owner.. Some observations

All of the issues you listed were aspects that improved over time on my uniti Atom. You also have new speaker cable that is well known to need to run in. Play it low volume continuously for a few weeks.

1 Like

Yes, cables also new. I will definitely give it a time and see how things might improve.

Please update us after 3-4 weeks of run in. It will be interesting to hear what you have to say. :+1:t2:

+1
Yes please.

I am waiting to receive a Nova as a move up from a Qute, so interested to hear your views. Particularly as I bought it based on the very positive comments on here and not actually having a demo.

sure, I will update after a month :+1:

Not really - it’s all about the combination.

The A3s could probably/certainly perform better with more power, but the system is in a small-ish apt in a building, where I have to keep the volume down. As such, the Nova is ample and provides the quality I need.

100 Hrs

I have a 202/200 dr and I get a great sound stage speakers are contour 30. Many sounds come from wider than the speakers. And it’s like the speakers are not even in the room. It’s like I have a stage with performers. Speakers disappear completely.

1 Like

Same here as mentioned. Assuming good speakers, anything else is a setup problem.
(And Naim would not be one of the leading hifi brands if it were so)

Not in my case with the Nova and I know its not about the speakers or the positioning of the speakers since I know how they perform with the other equipment I have used previously.

It has been one and half week now and the Nova has been playing music around 16 hours a day so totally I guess its been 170-180 hours by this time… I will wait for another week or two and share my comments in more detail as I don’t think there will be any dramatic changes after that on the Nova or me adjusting to the new set up.

While sandman had talked specifically about his 202/200 and I about the 252/300 (in response to “Naim products at any level”), I had a Nova on loan for a while and didn’t notice any issues with soundstage, although yes, the 252/300 is obviously much better and now the speakers really do disappear. (But it was just fine with the Nova in comparison to the Rotel pre/power combo I had had before)

I did find that moving my speakers very slightly compared with other systems made a huge difference with my Nova.

It’s my newbie understanding soundstage isn’t a priority for Naim’s engineers…

?? Oy…I know not expensive…but Lol… :rabbit2: :rabbit2: :rabbit2:

oops…I take back the “not expensive”… :rabbit2: :rabbit2: :rabbit2:

Although…mine sounds great. So…again…solutions looking for problems.

Hi, let me quick note…I got my Nova…was it Thursday last? So I’m 5 days also. Check out the Nova overheating thread…have you run it hard/ gotten hot? Mine shut off once from heat.

Wi fi vs wired is a huge difference. Yes, I have a Powerline ordered and have NAC A5s (now, after I believe or hope the heat issue was caused by AQ cables.)

?? wi fi is as good as wired?

Some people use Wi-fi and really like it. I tried it and at first thought it was great - particularly with treble and generally more space/air. However, I realised over time that there was less oomph or attack so I went back to wired. The addition of a switch in the wired set up gave me the best of both worlds. I would try Wi-fi v wired and see what you prefer

3 Likes

Well…I’m next to the router so it’s simple to be wired. That leads to another point; my router and modem are plugged into the powerstrip along with the Nova. It would be better to not have that be the case I assume. I am planning on plugging the ordered Powerline directly into the wall which is a new dedicated main. I’m also going to add a high quality outlet there. I could, now, move the modem and router’s plugs to an extension and a different outlet, but that would be an ungrounded outlet (I’m having all those corrected next month.) Edit: I ran an extension for the TV and boxes and plugged the Powerline lite (came with unit) into the dedicated circuit. Along with adding NAC A5 cables. Incredible sound.

1 Like